T2 - anyone know when, what, how?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by morrisb, Jul 16, 2001.

1. morrisb

morrisb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK, ok, I've been waiting long enough! Can anyone put me out of my misery?

1) When (if ever) is the R2 Terminator 2 due out?

2) Will it have the extended, extended version on it or will the extra scenes be separate?

3) If I can't wait, does the R1 version still come in a lovely metal case (play247 says that it's limited)?

4) How do you unlock the R1 Ultimate Edition (it's got something to do with the date of judgement day hasn't it)?

I don't ask for much do I? :D

2. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Morris,

1) Hopefully in November 2001. To be honest though, it's not going to be worth the wait, as it's unlikely to have the "branching" feature fully compatible with all DVD machines; it's probably going to get censored; is unlikely to have the DTS soundtrack; is unlikely to have all 3 editions of the movie.

2) See answer to number 1)!

3) The metal case may still be available, though if not, it's not going to make a huge difference, as it wasn't overly special.

4) On the page where you choose which version of the film you want, you need to press: 8, 2, 2, 9, and 7 on the DVD remote control keypad. The words: "The Future Is Not Set" will become visible, as each number is entered. Then, press ENTER/RETURN and the DVD should allow you to watch the extended edition. Alternatively, Track 3 of the Region 1 DVD will play the same extended cut as well!

Now I've answered all your questions, here's one for you:-

WHY THE HECK ARE YOU STILL WAITING FOR AN R2 EDITION, NEARLY TWO YEARS LATER?! Get your player chipped, and save yourself all this hassle. Region 2 DVD's simply aren't worth the hassle. There is the odd exception, but for the big titles, it ain't worth the hassle!

Pooch

3. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +132
    The other possibility, to preserve the branching, would be to drop the lovely DTS soundtrack.

I'll add my opinion though: DON'T WAIT!!

4. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

wow has it really been 2 years???!!!!

5. morrisb

morrisb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers for the info Pooch!

Yeah, I guess I ought to take the R1 route - I've been reluctant before now because of 2 things:
    1 - I experienced bad customer service with my first ever purchase
    2 - The only R1 DVD I've got (Serial Mom) doesn't seem to have a very good picture which I put down to NTSC, suppose it could just be a bad transfer. Good commentary from John Waters though!

6. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Morris,

There are tons of stonking R1 discs out there:

Terminator 2
    Terminator: Special Edition (due out soon)
    Se7en: Collector's Edition
    Gladiator
    Run, Lola, Run
    Akira
    The Godfather Trilogy (out in October 2001)

You simply must get your player chipped! It's going to be one of the best things ever, and you'll probably never watch or buy an R2 DVD again.

Pooch

7. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
  8. TJSMANGINA

TJSMANGINA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    it doesnt look good for region2 copy of t2 by all accounts it only has one version of the film an half the special features.yet again region 2 is a joke why anyone bothers with region2 is beyond me.i read the above details on dvd debate i think or it could have been bulets an babes.

9. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Just to clarify:

The German 2-disc version (also R2) claims to have eveything what the American version has, including the extended and more extended movie version.
    Just the English DTS ES track is missing due to lack of space which is taken up by the remixed German tracks.

In case anyone is interested, it has turkish subtitles, too. :D

(No offence ment to Turkish people!)

10. TJSMANGINA

TJSMANGINA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Terminator 2 disc will not live up to its US counterpart.

The disc, which has already moved from its original date of December 2000 to October 2001 due to mastering difficulties, is available in the US in a terrific DVD18 special edition. To the layperson, this means a double sided dual layered disc, almost doubling the capacity of a normal DVD.

Feature packed and containing multiple video versions, the plan was to duplicate the contents of the disc bit-for-bit here in Europe, however this would appear not to be the case if Area DVD has it right. They claim to have spoken to the German studio Kinowelt who have revealed that they have no way to handle the 'seamless branching' technology implemented on the US disc and, as a result, the region 2 product will only contain one version of the film, the Special Edition version.

The original theatrical version and the hidden 'Extended Special Edition' will not be present, however the missing scenes from the ESE will be available in the deleted scenes feature.i really do hope i have it wrong although i have the region 1 anyway :)

11. mysteriousjimmy

mysteriousjimmy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    and the R1 is also available as a 2 disc set..(2 DVD-9 discs) :)

12. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    TJSMANGINA, it seems your German is indeed better than mine! :)

13. TJSMANGINA

TJSMANGINA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    lol not really mate i just copy an pasted from dvd debate.com lol but like i said i do hope its wrong but region 2 does have a reputation :(

14. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Your information seems to be right. I had to read the German page three times now before I understood what it actually said:

The movie is only present as Special Edition on that DVD and the additional footage of the Special Edition Extended version is only accessible via the extras.

So the intro of being equal to the US release is bull****.

15. TJSMANGINA

TJSMANGINA

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    yet again we get the deliverance treatment an u no what i mean lol.an i bet you we have to pay 25 quid for the plaesure aswell.if there was 1 reason to get a chipped or multi player it is the simple reason.if you want the best you get region1,i know there are a few exceptions but we really do get raped in this country.

16. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Guess I can't argue with that. My tip: stick to R1 then. :p

17. sandi

sandi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    T2 is coming through at reduced pricing from the studio on 21st August, in preparation for the special edition of Terminator due on 2nd October.

The code to get through to the special menu is Judgment Day (ie 82997).

Sandi ;)

18. PoochJD

PoochJD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,861
    Sandi,

You said: "T2 is coming through at reduced pricing from the studio on 21st August, in preparation for the special edition of Terminator due on 2nd October."

Huh?! The "Terminator: Special Edition" is already out here in the UK, so your response doesn't make sense.

Do you mean that "T2" in the Uk is coming out, before the R1 Special Edition of "The Terminator"?

Pooch