T On The Fringe My Reviews

Cowden_harley

EVENING ALL.

I decided that I would let you know what I thought of the three gigs I went to see during T On The Fringe.

Monday - Editors - Corn Exchange, Edinburgh

First of all this is a great venue for live music, thoroughly enjoy going there, so its a good start. Loved the album The Back Room. Had it on day of release when it first come out. But this was my first viewing of them live. Have to say I was mighty impressed. They were load, tight and entertaining. PLaying virtually all the album and a few new ones. Enjoyed them immensley. 8/10

Tuesday - Radiohead - Meadowbank Stadium, Edinburgh.

Never been here for a oncert before just to see football when meadowbank used to play there. Its surprisingly superb for a gig beacause iths compact and very sheltered. Arrived in time to see Beck supporting. They were good, i like most of their stuff and they delivered it well, ive seen worse.

But radiohead came on and blew me away. PLayed all the songs I wanted to hear. National Anthem, Pyramid Song, There There, 2+2=5, Just, Karma Police etc so I was in heaven. They also played some new songs which I also enjoyed. Great all round gig and sound was fantastic. 10/10 One of the best gigs ive ever seen and ive seen a lot.

Thursday - Maximo Park, Corn Exchange, Edinburgh.

Back to here again for a band ive seen before but only at festivals. What can I say played some old and new songs. Paul Smith is a livewire entertaining just to watch. The were loud and sounded perfect. Definately a band I will go see again and again the place was bouncing. 8/10.

Let me know if you were at any and what you thought.:rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl: :rotfl:

unique

well i saw radiohead also, with beck supporting. beck was absolutely fantastic. each time he plays live is completely different to the previous time. this time he had puppets on stage with him, like thunderbirds style (if you know the puppet video that tiga did for his cover of nelly's hot in herre then thats exactly what the puppets look like - probably the same people) all dressed up like the band members, and whatever instrument they played, the puppets played too (and the band members swapped instruments regularly!). at one point beck did an accoustic spot, and 4 band members sat at a table behind him and were served food, then partway through the song they took thier knives and forks and started banging on the table and using the plates and glasses etc as percussion (there was different amounts of water in each to make specific notes), and the puppets did the same thing. very cool. i've never seen anything like it at a concert before. one puppet even had a puppet cam which was displayed on the screens. during the break before becks encore they had a puppet's guide to edinburgh, and they took the puppets all round edinburgh and filmed them hanging with street musicians, before buying kilts ("men's skirts are made fi babies!), heading up calton hill with the kilts on ("where can i get some gay sex"), putting blue facepaint on and re-enacting braveheart, before heading back to meadowbank singing high and dry by radiohead, and coming onstage, where the bandmembers had the matching kilts on. that might all sound crazy, but everyone there loved it, and were laughing out loud. two of the band came on wearing bear outfits and sang and then started fighting onstage (like dom jolly's show) and knocked over one of the drumkits (he had two people drumming at the same time). absolutely crazy. the only dissapointment was that he didn't play creep by RH or how does it feel by the flaming lips, which he had been covering at V

a very hard act for radiohead to follow, but they did do a good show. apparently thom yorke was drunk. the audience were pretty rough too. there was no pit down the front so lots of people were squashed. over 30 people were pulled out the front during the first 3 songs, prompting thom to stop the band mid song to tell everyone to chill out, or go to a club round the corner if they wanted to act ilke that (people were moshing and going nuts). the RH fans were saying it was one of the roughtest RH gigs ever, including the glasto 97 show. they did 24 songs in all, including 2 brand new songs, and 1 old but still never released song "nude" (aka don't get any big ideas). they did creep at the end, and the audience reaction to the only uk non festival show on the tour was so great that it made thom laugh and comment "yeah you love this don't you". they also played just, airbag, exit music, iron lung, but didn't play high and dry or street spirit. i preferred the glasgow tent gigs in 2000 to this show, as they played two nites and did all the songs you wanted between the two very different mood nites, but it was better than the SECC show of a couple of years ago. the club tour from that same year was perhaps the best, especially being front row

anyways, i was supposed to see russel brand on wednesday but due to laryngitis it was rescheduled to sunday, which he cancelled his show at reading festival to attend

last nite (thursday) i saw muse at meadowbank. i've only recently got into them after hearing the excellent new cd (perhaps best album this year). i missed the support band (my chemical romance) on purpose and turned up about 30 mins before muse hit the stage. it was an excellent show. they really rocked, and the audience loved it. it was a bit colder than the RH gig, but luckily it never rained during the outside shows, and it's bright and sunny this morning so should be good for the snow patrol gig at meadowbank today. i couldn't tell you the names of the muse songs, but they did stuff from the new album mixed with what i presume was the best of the back catalogue, i don't think they did any "here's a new song that's never been played before" moments, which RH do all the time. what was really cool was that the muse lead guy (i don't know any of the bands names) had this guitar which had something like a korg kaos pad on his guitar, which is a thing thats like the pointer thing you have on laptops instead of a mouse, it lights up and you move your finger or plectrum over it and it manipulates the sound like a sampler/effects pedal. i've never seen anything like it before. RH use the kaos pad, but usually for thoms vocals. btw i got home and found that kerrang voted the support band my chemical romance the best band, and muse best live band (and guns n roses support got best single - bullet for my valentine)

so i have a few days of rest (perhaps) and then russel brand on sunday, and then simple minds on monday nite

oh, and the corn exchange is a great venue. i think its about 2000 capacity, but it has a club style atmosphere. no seats, just standing, with bars down the side, a bit like the barrowlands without the grottiness. i saw nerd with justin timberlake there, as well as radiohead, the streets a couple of times, bassment jaxx, lady soverign, hard fi, and i've got tix for lilly allen in october. they also had oasis and blur play there. its the only decent size venue in town as we don't have anything like the SECC (7,500 capacity) and meadowbank isn't used for gigs much, and murrayfield is far too big

Cowden_harley

Seen Hard Fi there too they were superb as well.

Cowden_harley

just to add also. Edinburgh should be ashamed of itself! Keane and Snow Patrol Sold out but Radiohead and Maximo Park weren't. ONe of the greatest ever british bands and one of the finest up and coming bands both neglected. Couldnt believe that.

unique

Cowden_harley said:
Seen Hard Fi there too they were superb as well.
i thought they were better at the liquid rooms last year. mind i was front row at a tiny gig just a few weeks after the album dropped so it was quite a different atmosphere. there were loads of young kids, some with parents, at the corn exchange. i wish i had been at the london shows where they had guests like weller and mick jones and played e=mc2 by B.A.D. which were one of my favorite groups, and the one that hard fi most sound like (early BAD that is). liquid rooms is another great venue, saw amy winehouse, maceo parker, jill scott, har mar superstar, and goldie lookin' chain there amongst others. dead easy to get front row and no pushing as theres no need

btw, i thought the radiohead show sold out, and the muse show, as my ticket for muse was a return. i did look round during the muse show and noticed the seating area was half empty, and there were plenty of empty seats during RH too. they werent strict about security, and once they took your ticket at the front gate it wasn't checked again, so maybe the folks with seating tix mostly went to the grass area, or all the tix were general admission

cabstar

Novice Member
Hi

Just thought you might be interested to know the Simple Minds gig on Monday is being recorded for an official DVD release.

Was at the V festival at the weekend & saw Beck & his puppets which was superb, editors where also good & where joined in stage by Morning Runner to do a cover version, title escapes me now doh!!!!

Have a great time at Simple Minds should be a great gig widh I could be there for one of my favourite bands ever.

regards

Gary

unique

cabstar said:
Hi

Just thought you might be interested to know the Simple Minds gig on Monday is being recorded for an official DVD release.

Was at the V festival at the weekend & saw Beck & his puppets which was superb, editors where also good & where joined in stage by Morning Runner to do a cover version, title escapes me now doh!!!!

Have a great time at Simple Minds should be a great gig widh I could be there for one of my favourite bands ever.

regards

Gary
i'm only going cuz my mate used to live next door to jim kerr so he feels obliged to go cuz his mums a friend of jims. i only really go for the free bar :D we are having a picnic so if the weathers good and he doesn't play biko then it might not be that bad. i'll be knackered tho after a late nite sunday and working monday

didnt editors and MR swap instruments or something as one of the bands keep destroying thier guitars?

Cowden_harley

If its the cover i seen on tv it was We Are Scientist for Orange Crush the REM song.

Liquid Rooms is amazing i was there when Kasabian played a week or so after the first album release and know what you are talking about its like being on the crest fo a wave.