• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

T-Mobile Vario 2 ...... untold problems!!!!

guv69

I bought a T-mobile Vario 2 in Dec 2006, which has been a headache - despite 5 changes of handsets, I still have problems!

Previously, I had issues with dropping calls etc - despite being in a good signal strength area - or even dialing and be dropped before connecting.

The problem I have now is similarish, but with a slight variation.

The phone is behaving itself, so decided to get Web'n'walk re-added. Thats where the problems have resurfaced! If I dont use it, it seems to be ok, but if I do, when people call, they cannot get connected. That happens if I am online at the time or have disconnected online activities.

When someone dials after I have gone online, they either get "the phone is unavailable" or it rings once on their end and goes dead. Obviously it never rings my end. It would appear if I do a re-boot or take the battery out, the phone behaves itself again - until I go back online! This problem is intermittant. Sometimes I can receive a call while online - so its not completely useless!

Anyone else have this problem? Or better still, know a solution?

Dealing with T-Mobile CS is like pulling teeth! (Though I am currentlydealing with someone who appears sypmathetic and promised to call back shortly.) But there comes a time when enough is enough. 5 different handsets indicates to me, that the Vario 2 is full of flaws. Problem is, I still have 5 months to run on the contract and T-Mobile have said they want £119 to tear the contract up! Fair enough if its on a whim, but this is after paying £32.50 a month for 12 months for a service thats unreliable at best.

Again, I'm sure Im not alone in this situation. Is there somewhere I can take this further - that will act quickly? I know from my experience, I'll never take another T-Mobile contract. I didnt think it too much to expect a phone and service that works.... but it seems to be!

Any advice / help appreciated.

guv69

As mentioned above, the CS rep that I have just been speaking to, was it appeared to be sympathetic and helpful and that view appears to have been born out!

After another long call, she is going to send me out a replacement phone. I was asked if there were any other phones I would consider - and chose the Vario 3. (I did suggest the big clunky "Ameo" - but they declined that one!)

So, Im just praying they have sorted out all the problems and this one work properly! I did ask if she was aware of issues with the VArio 2, but said she wasnt. But 5 different handsets means Im just extremely unlucky, else there really are problems that they dont want to "promote".

Fingers crossed!

Tomfoolery

Novice Member
There's been similar problems reported on the vario 3 in certain locations (seems to be affected regionally) where the handset attempts to hold on to a 3G signal, even when the signal isn't strong/reliable enough - meaning if you try and make a call it won't work, and receiving calls and messages doesn't work either. The handset thinks it has a signal, but it doesn't really.

Its normally cured by switching the phone to 2G until you want to use the internet at higher speeds, when you switch it back to 3G.

I haven't had the problem myself so far (and hope it remains this way!) but people seem to think its a joint problem between the handset and the base stations. Hopefully you won't have this problem! Not sure if it could have been related to the problems you had with the vario 2?

guv69

There's been similar problems reported on the vario 3 in certain locations (seems to be affected regionally) where the handset attempts to hold on to a 3G signal, even when the signal isn't strong/reliable enough - meaning if you try and make a call it won't work, and receiving calls and messages doesn't work either. The handset thinks it has a signal, but it doesn't really.

Its normally cured by switching the phone to 2G until you want to use the internet at higher speeds, when you switch it back to 3G.

I haven't had the problem myself so far (and hope it remains this way!) but people seem to think its a joint problem between the handset and the base stations. Hopefully you won't have this problem! Not sure if it could have been related to the problems you had with the vario 2?

Thanks for that.

Can I just clarify a couple of things.

My work location in Central London does have a superb signal - which is registered as G3. When I spoke previously to a CS rep, he made the comment that the signal strength being shown was for G2 - despite it being shown as G3. To be honest, that didnt make much sense to me and took it to be normal CS BS. So he may have been speaking factually?

I'll take a look on the phone to see if I can see where I can switch off G3 and see how that goes - but I assume this will then be detrimental to Web n walk?

So my problems aside, how have you found the phone? Any problems? I do like my Vario2 (faults aside), but reading that it comes with built in GPS is a bonus. I suppose the tilt screen is useful also - though Ive always thought as it stands, its a real weak spot and extra care needed when extended.

Any big pluses or minus's you've found?

The phone is being delivered on Thursday. Hopefully a new one and not re-con (though I cant complain - as long as it comes with all the bits and bobs included in a box!) They havent mentioned about sending the old one back yet - so Im keeping my fingers crossed on that also - but dont think it likely they will forget!

Tomfoolery

Novice Member
I'll take a look on the phone to see if I can see where I can switch off G3 and see how that goes - but I assume this will then be detrimental to Web n walk?

Yep, it'd slow the internet down to GPRS speeds until you enable 3G again, which is why it's only worth doing if you have the problem people have reported. There are apps available to quickly switch 3G on and off though, so if you have to resort to this you can just switch 3G on whenever you want to browse the internet (2G would be fine for light internet activity like checking your email, updating the weather forecast on the home screen etc).

So my problems aside, how have you found the phone? Any problems? I do like my Vario2 (faults aside), but reading that it comes with built in GPS is a bonus. I suppose the tilt screen is useful also - though Ive always thought as it stands, its a real weak spot and extra care needed when extended.

Any big pluses or minus's you've found?

The phone is being delivered on Thursday. Hopefully a new one and not re-con (though I cant complain - as long as it comes with all the bits and bobs included in a box!) They havent mentioned about sending the old one back yet - so Im keeping my fingers crossed on that also - but dont think it likely they will forget!

The phone is excellent. Couple of years ago I had an orange SPV m500, then changed to a nokia n70. Couldn't be more pleased to be back on windows mobile again! The inbuilt GPS is incredibly useful and I've had no problems getting a signal with it, even managed to get a signal with it in the house once.

The tilt screen seems fairly substantial, but I still wouldn't rate my chances with dropping it! I've heard plenty of stories of cracked screens, so I have insured it to hopefully stop any worries about that sort of thing.

As you've already got a vario II, you might already know about these sites, but if not, they're very useful resources:

http://www.modaco.com/category/312/HTC-Kaiser-Kaiser-MoDaCo-com/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=377

And finally, a company has just released a new free user interface that beats microsoft's by quite a margin. There's a few features it's lacking, but worth keeping an eye on!

http://pointui.com/

guv69

Yep, it'd slow the internet down to GPRS speeds until you enable 3G again, which is why it's only worth doing if you have the problem people have reported.

OK. Fingers crossed then!:thumbsup:

The phone is excellent. Couple of years ago I had an orange SPV m500, then changed to a nokia n70. Couldn't be more pleased to be back on windows mobile again! The inbuilt GPS is incredibly useful and I've had no problems getting a signal with it, even managed to get a signal with it in the house once.

My current bluetooth sirf 3 does this without any problems. What is the bootup speed like to lock on? Sometimes mine just doesnt seem to lock on - then it suddenly springs into life! Anoying if you are going on a journey that you really havent a clue where you are going!

The tilt screen seems fairly substantial, but I still wouldn't rate my chances with dropping it! I've heard plenty of stories of cracked screens, so I have insured it to hopefully stop any worries about that sort of thing.

I saw one today in a T-Mobile shop. I'm impressed by what I saw. Seems much nicer that the Vario 2.

As you've already got a vario II, you might already know about these sites, but if not, they're very useful resources:

http://www.modaco.com/category/312/HTC-Kaiser-Kaiser-MoDaCo-com/

http://forum.xda-developers.com/forumdisplay.php?f=377

And finally, a company has just released a new free user interface that beats microsoft's by quite a margin. There's a few features it's lacking, but worth keeping an eye on!

http://pointui.com/

Cheers for those. Hadn't seem them before, so very useful. Anything in particular you would recommend? Have you had a play with the GUI in that link? Might give that a whirl on the Vario 2 and see what it looks like before it has to go back. To be honest, mine is pretty much bog standard. I have Tom tom on it plus a video pack, but its virgin aprt from those. (Mainly because I keep having to get them replaced and never get round to reinstalling anything!)

Tomfoolery

Novice Member
My current bluetooth sirf 3 does this without any problems. What is the bootup speed like to lock on? Sometimes mine just doesnt seem to lock on - then it suddenly springs into life! Anoying if you are going on a journey that you really havent a clue where you are going!

The only problem I've had is if the GPS hasn't been used for a while it seems to have a few problems starting up. To cure this I use a program called GPSViewer which seems to start the GPS chip from a cold start nicely, meaning it gets a lock on instantly in the other programs.

Cheers for those. Hadn't seem them before, so very useful. Anything in particular you would recommend? Have you had a play with the GUI in that link? Might give that a whirl on the Vario 2 and see what it looks like before it has to go back. To be honest, mine is pretty much bog standard. I have Tom tom on it plus a video pack, but its virgin aprt from those. (Mainly because I keep having to get them replaced and never get round to reinstalling anything!)

I do use the GUI as I find it much nicer than the microsoft one. The only thing is it has a few issues with how you have to uninstall it, so check out their forums for uninstall instructions at the pointui site I gave in my other post (for some reason you cant just uninstall it from the usual remove programs menu)

It does almost everything I want it to do and is excellent for a first release, but if you use some of the more indepth features of windows mobile or want to be able to customise your home screen (which pointui cant currently do) its not for you. If you just want to make your phone more simple and dont generally dig into settings and things too often, its great.

Using web n walk, the one app I couldn't live without is opera mobile. It's so much quicker and nicer to use than pocket internet explorer, but unfortunately isn't free. Cant remember how much it costs, but it was around £15. There's a 30 day trial for it at the opera site though. Also as an alternative there's the free Opera mini, but this runs in java so isn't quite as slick to run as opera mobile.

Tom

guv69

The only problem I've had is if the GPS hasn't been used for a while it seems to have a few problems starting up. To cure this I use a program called GPSViewer which seems to start the GPS chip from a cold start nicely, meaning it gets a lock on instantly in the other programs.

Excellent. Thanks for that. So you just run that before opening TomTom?

I do use the GUI as I find it much nicer than the microsoft one. The only thing is it has a few issues with how you have to uninstall it, so check out their forums for uninstall instructions at the pointui site I gave in my other post (for some reason you cant just uninstall it from the usual remove programs menu)

It does almost everything I want it to do and is excellent for a first release, but if you use some of the more indepth features of windows mobile or want to be able to customise your home screen (which pointui cant currently do) its not for you. If you just want to make your phone more simple and dont generally dig into settings and things too often, its great.

Using web n walk, the one app I couldn't live without is opera mobile. It's so much quicker and nicer to use than pocket internet explorer, but unfortunately isn't free. Cant remember how much it costs, but it was around £15. There's a 30 day trial for it at the opera site though. Also as an alternative there's the free Opera mini, but this runs in java so isn't quite as slick to run as opera mobile.

Tom

Well mine is now slightly different to yesterday morning! I've unlocked it and installed pointui, opera mini and several other bits and bobs! Quite refreshing... it was how I was when I first got my new toy! No doubt I will be doing that again when the Vario 3 arrives on Thursday!!!

Quite like pointui - but have managed to get it to freeze a few times. (eg Ive installed the RSS feed listed on one of those sites. If you try to update the feed before you are online, it just freezes. (well it does on mine!) Not a major issue I guess!

I'm sure Ive used pocket opera already - though its not on this phone! I actually quite like the "mini" version. Nice zoom function. I hate the way that IE mungs up the display. Mini displays just as the site would be displayed on a proper browser and PC.

guv69

I suppose it was too much for me to expect T-Mobile to be honest and do as they promise.

I awaited the new Vario 3 to arrive today, but instead just received a bag to send the old one back. Since I had specifically made it clear that I was not accepting being without a phone yet again and that we were discussing the best place for the phone to be delivered that someone could receive. (Spoke about if it was courier or parcel force - and suggested if it was PF, it could be to my home so I could collect from my sorting office if no one was in at the time to sign for it.) But no, instead, they send an envelope by normal mail.

Are these people trained to lie? There was no mistaking what had been agreed, yet on phoning today, I was told that was all that was done and no mention of the Vario 3 in the notes!

Since this is phone number 5 - is there no some sort of "lemon" law where you should expect a new phone and not a repair?

Edit: I've just called them back after seeing the envelope and letter - which is basically saying its for a cancellation, I'm completely at a loss here. At no time was that mentioned to here - yet her notes say exactly that!

Now the concerns I now have is the fact I had a little play with the phone on Sunday from that website mentioned - and have unlocked it completely! I think they may throw it back when they realise that! Is there a way to re-lock etc?

guv69

ßeta;6242055 said:
Hi guv69..

Any joy with your situation?? I'm in exactly the same boat with the Vario II dropping calls.

No.

T-Mobile are now playing dumb.

I was promised a call back from one of the managers who agreed also I was entitled to an exchange. Ive heard nothing. So, everyday last week I called to remind them. Each time I asked for them to make sure the guy was contacted. Each time, nothing.

I now intend on paying the tenner and get all my personal records on file (and hoepfully the phone calls!) and take the matter further. I'm not sure the best / quickest / cheapest route, but have been thinking about a small claims court - and ask for a full refund of every penny Ive paid them!

The fact is, they have broken the law. Either the phone or their network is duff. (Probably both!!!!!!!!) Selling goods unfit for purpose breaks the SOGA, so after 5 phones, I think it a safe bet!!!! Providing the court with a full record of calls made and promises unkept, will also go a long way to provide proof I have done everything I can and they have been negligent.

Those account notes will also provide evidence from their own CS reps of how useless their repair depatment is. Its their choice!!!!!

guv69

It looks like my persistance and calling back has now finally paid off! Continuing to ignore the promised call back regarding the exchange and insistance of notes being added has probably made them realise that if I took it further, I'd done everything I possible could to resolve.

Got a call this evening and phone should arrive on Wednesday. (Though Ive heard that before!!!)

Fingers crossed.

Just hope the Vario 3 will solve these problems and I'll be a happy bunny!

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom