T-Mobile UK network problem

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Monty Burns, May 8, 2007.

1. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Hi Guys

any other T-Mobile UK customers experiencing issues at the moment?

When people try to ring me they get various error messages ranging from "No radio route found" (Vodaphone) to beep beeeep beeeeep (BT landlines). I phoned t-mobile who said that they had a major issue with there 3g network and they are working on it. I can make outgoing calls using GSM rather than UMTS but I am unable to send texts or MMSs. Data services also seem fine and spb weather etc all work ok and download updates.

Does all this sound familiar to anyone else? I think t-mobile have fobbed me off with an excuse. Anyone else with a 3G phone having any issues?

TIA!:thumbsup:

edit: the phone is a HTC TyTN running the 20070507_RUU_Hermes_WWE_3.30.0.9 build of Windows Mobile 6

2. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Yes! My N73 is locked to the 3G networks and I am getting lots of problems. Often I get missed calls and text messages that appear hours later. Sometimes, I am not getting any reception with the phone citing a 'connection error'. It's very frustrating and I've been on the phone with T-Mobile numerous times with them just fobbing me off. I'm not sure what we can do?

3. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    talking to them for a third time now .... on the phone ... update in a second. Fingers crossed!

BAH! On hold for 15mins whilst they look into it ,... and then get dumped. Trying again.

4. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Let us know how you get on Monty. If T-Mobile don't sort this out then I'm seriously thinking about moving to a new operator.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Repeat post.

Mod - please delete!

6. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Right'o

They have stated again that there 3g services are messed up at the moment and have been for a couple of days and recommend dropping to GSM in the meantime.

My issue: The operator had to do a "full account" refresh or something. Basically, its now working :thumbsup:

Good luck mate!

7. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    I'll dropping to GMS and see whether it makes a difference! Thanks Monty!

8. freerider

freerider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just had this problem today.

I thought they had cut me off as I may have paid a bill late :-(

CS suggested that I force phone (Palm Treo 750) to select GSM and manually select t-mobile network.

Works fine now.

Apparently it has something to do with all these new phones set to AUTO (Band selection) selecting 3G as default thus flooding the 3g network causing an overload.

The helpful person on the phone told me they only designed the 3G network to carry video calls but at the moment it is carrying a large chuck of voice traffic which it can't handle as the band is narrower.

As I am not a mobile communications expert this could be total ******** but it sounds like a logical explanation to me.

9. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    yar, does sound reasonable but tough luck on us that do actually want to make video calls eh!

10. phil_the_moose

phil_the_moose
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Sorry to butt in fellas... but I've got a 3G phone (N95) on T-mobile which I don't use for video calls yet, but I do use it for internet and the navigation etc

Would it be worth my while to alter it to GSM from automatic 3G (and if so how do I do it?) or do I need the 3G for what I use it for?

Sorry if this is a daft question, but it sort of followed on from your post Freerider.

Cheers, Moose :smashin:

11. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    the 3g (at least according to t-mobile for this) is only used for video calls. I have mine connected over 3g for data still and connected to Exchange Email server and I'm still getting my push email and able to browse the web with no discernable drop in speed.

Mines a Windows Mobile device so i'm afraid I can't advise you on changing yours to GSM voice/video.

12. freerider

freerider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I only forced it to use GSM as I couldn't make outgoing voice calls today. My phone wouldn't even register to the network in an area I know normally has a full strength 3G signal.

So saying that unless you are having problems with your voice calls I would stick to 3G as it is a lot faster for transferring data(internet).

13. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    This is what i'm confused about. I (according to t-mobile, are they BS'ing me?) have told me that I should just drop the

"Network type" to GSM (Choice of Auto/GSM/WCDMA) and to leave the GSM/UMTS band as Auto (Choice of GSM 900/1800+umts2100 or GSM1900/850+umts1900/850 or umts2100/800 or finaly Auto).

I haven't noticed any speed drop on my web access or emails which I use a lot but, then again, its mostly forums and emails so they aint really high bandwidth pages.

But then, surley we shouldn't have to change anything and T-Mobile need to sort there act out?

14. freerider

freerider

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well they admitted that much when I was on the phone to them today, that they had a problem with the network.

It's anyone's guess what they are doing to sort it out.

15. pacificdragon

pacificdragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I could be wrong but I don't think any firmware updates allow you to change from UTMS to GSM on the N95 yet,, when I had problems a few days ago CS told me they were having mojor problems with the 3G network and the chap I spoke to in the technical department told me that he was advising all customers to change to GSM but he said that N95 was the only phone he was aware of that could not manually change to UTMS, my 3g coverage appears to be back to normal but I was receving voicemail days later and the same with text messages and was taking several hours to send a text message but no problems over the last 24 hours or so.

16. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    N95: Ouch! That sucks and really puts a downer on your day. Nice one T-Mobile...

Problems: I think its area dependant. People trying to ring me yesterday evening were getting an engaged tone ... guess what, I wasn't on my phone. Changed to GSM again and suddenly all worked fine. Changed back to UMTS and engaged.:mad:

17. londonguy1973

londonguy1973

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    for anyone that doesnt know, to change the n95 to gsm go to menu, tools, settings, phone, network then change network mode from dual mode to gsm.

Its the same on most nokia phones as far as i know

18. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,150
    Not on the N73. I had to debrand to get the option to appear. Now, I'm on GMS and everything's fine again!

19. Sega Mega Dave

Sega Mega Dave
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,292
    Sorry for the thread bump but for months now i have had an issue with T-Moible.

Texts coming days later in lump sums or never coming at all, missed calls showing on the phone even though i know it hasn't rang. Emergency calls only showing far too often in places you wouldn't expect. This doesn't happen all the time though, it can go days a week without an issue then i get 3 days or so wit hthe issue. No set pattern but definately becoming more frequent.

I have tried 3 phones all with the same problem, i'm running on GSM and still the same, they have done a full network refresh and yet again still the same. Engineers unable to find an issue and spent 2 weeks sending emails back and forth.

A colleague at work is starting to see the same issues as myself now.

Anyone else with a similar issue as i may use this thread in my case to get it cancelled free of charge and move elsewhere.

Thanks,
    Dave