T-Mobile Price Increase - allows cancellation!

Dave X

Prominent Member
Reaction score
T-Mobile have made a mess of their latest increase and sent out their price increase letters a month after Orange. Anyone receiving an increase letter dated April has the right to cancel before the increase comes into effect.

From MSE

T-Mobile are increasing prices by 3.3%, stating they have used the Retail Price Index, currently at 3.3%. This rate is incorrect; the latest figure on the ONS website, released on 19 March, is 3.2%.

Clause 7.2.3 of T-Mobile’s terms and conditions allows the customer to terminate the agreement within the minimum term without having to pay a cancellation charge if: "The change that We gave you Written Notice of in point 7.1.4 is an increase in Your Price Plan Charge (as a percentage) higher than any increase in the Retail Price Index (also calculated as a percentage) for the 12 months before the month in which We send You Written Notice and You give Us notice to immediately cancel this Agreement before the change takes effect. (7.2.3.3)".

As the price increase of 3.3% is higher than than the current RPI percentage rate of 3.2%, you are entitled to terminate the contract without penalty, provided the written notice you received from T-Mobile is dated April 2013.

Last edited:
Is it really that simple? I just need to state the following and they will allow me to cancel? Has anybody put it to effect yet?

Is it really that simple? I just need to state the following and they will allow me to cancel? Has anybody put it to effect yet?

It's not that simple, so far t-mobile wont even admit 3.3 is higher than 3.2.

Plenty of info in the mobile phone section of MoneySavingExpert.com forum.

After weeks of trying to get a decent 'loyal customer for 12 years' price out of T-Mobile and failing (despite letters etc), I decided to jump ship to Three. Just as I was about to finalise the order, I had a call from T-Mobile offering me a £26 deal and a heavily reduced phone cost which made it marginally better than Three and saved me the 30 day notice of cancellation charge. However, by chance I saw Watchdog last night and realised that the costs are increasing in just seven days from now........!

Where do I stand with this? How can T-Mobile (or anyone else for that matter) be able to offer a deal at a certain price in the knowledge that it is going up in a week's time without telling the customer? Since I'm renewing an existing contract (albeit a different price structure), do I have the same cooling off rights as those of a new customer?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom