T-Mob G1 vs Nokia 5800

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones Forum' started by Dunc2610, Feb 4, 2009.

Tags:
  1. Dunc2610

Dunc2610

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am looking at both of these phones as an upgrade (the 5800 on Voda) or the G1 on a new contract with T-mob...

I've looked around on the net, and read MANY reviews of both, and both seem to have their +'s and -'s.

What are peoples experiences using the phones, i've used the G1 BRIEFLY at the t-mob store, and was impressed. But reading it syncs badly with computers is a -ve.

I'm currently using a Nokia N81, and have had Nokias for years so i'm swaying that way currently.

But after seeing the G1 and haering about what it COULD do in teh future its a very attractive proposition.

Any views on the matter?

2. jay61076

jay61076

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I’m down to the exact same 2 phones but haven’t been able to make up my mind yet although the Nokia seems to have a better screen and may be less likely to fall apart ( as I’m not sure about the slide on the G1) but as you say there should be load of applications out there for the G1

My main concern is the G1 going to be seen like a brick in 12mths where as the Nokia shouldn’t age too bad.

3. Dunc2610

Dunc2610

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    When i handled the G1 it didn't feel bulky at all, it felt quite nice in the hand. One thing that put me off was the lack of onscreen text input, ie if you want to do a quick text you've still got to fold out the keyboard, unless i was told wrong?!

4. jay61076

jay61076

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    One thing I didn't notice for the nokia was games but I suppose any Java game should be able to work on it

5. Dunc2610

Dunc2610

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not too bothered about games, apparently it'll be able to play N-Gage stuff, but i'm more interested in the Internet/Text/Email apps. Also its multimedia abilities which i know the 5800 excels at.

6. ROBIN50N

ROBIN50N

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +470
    theres apps that give you on screen keyboard for texts and iternet plus google are about to release a big update called cupcake that will add an on screen keyboard as standard.

7. mutamist

mutamist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I looked at these two yesterday and decided on the 5800. Two of the reasons that swung it for me was no video recording or 3.5mm headphone jack on the G1. I am picking my 5800 up from City Link on the way home from work.

8. Dunc2610

Dunc2610

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What made you chose that, purely the h/p jack and vid recording? I've read the O/S on the Nokia is a bit clumsy?!

9. Russellgti

Russellgti

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +29
    From what I have been told the battery life for the G1 is not very good. Also when I had a look at the dummy one in Carphone Warehouse it felt a bit cheap. The chap I was talking to on the t-mobile upgrade line was telling me if you get a charger for one of the other HTC phones it will last a bit longer.

10. mutamist

mutamist

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    I've read good reviews, well the ones I saw anyway!

It was on a very good contract, has everything I need in the way of media and web functionality. 8GB memory out of the box is also another bonus, as is it being expandable to 16GB. I don't actually want a sliding out keyboard - I had one on a T-Mobile phone a few years ago and hated it.

As for video camera, that's essential - I have an 8 month old little boy and like to catch those moments when they happen. 3.5 jack is a nice bonus as I'm not a fan of earphone adapters.

I also think it looks a lot nicer than the G1, which is very shallow I know :D

Last edited: Feb 4, 2009
  11. terry.smith

terry.smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    im stuck on the same decision!

12. Beancounter

Beancounter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    As am I!!

For both these phones, do you need to take the web addons such as Walk and Web on T Mobile to get the best of these phones?

For the G1, is £25 per month a good price with Walk and Web?

13. hot-fuzz

hot-fuzz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +593
    I had a G1 and loved it APART from :

* Crap battery (1 day heavy use, 2 days normal use)
    * its a bit big for what i needed.
    * no 3.5mm socket, but you can get an adapter to overcome it.

Never had a 5800 but it does look very nice.

Have you considered the E71. Its what i went to and im really settled for it for a long time, which is good for me seeing as i change my phjoen every couple of months. It jsut does exactly what you want it to do.
    OK its not got as slick internet as G1 or iPhone, but see it as a Land Rover. YHou know what you're getting and it jsut gets on with the job with no fuss and minimal effort.

14. apolloa

apolloa

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,350
    Why not get an N97? Well when it's out. In case you lot didn't know it's the years biggest event for mobile phones this month, it's on the 16 to 19th Feb and is where you see and hear what's coming out this year.
    HTC make the G1 as well so it should be tough. But the next version is due to be announced at the event I mentioned. As well as possibly several other Nokia touch screen phones.

GSMA Mobile World Congress | 16-19 February 2009 | Barcelona, Spain - Homepage

Nokia unveils flagship N97 phone [update: video!] - Engadget

15. terry.smith

terry.smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i ordered the G1 but i dont know if i made the right decision as the nokia n97 looks nice but when is the n97 coming out because i am very impatient.lol

Last edited: Feb 5, 2009
  16. Dunc2610

Dunc2610

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Impatience in my problem too, i've had my N81 for what will be 18 months in May, and i can upgrade next month with Vodafone (which would be to the Nokia). Decisions decisions!!!!!

17. jay61076

jay61076

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Well I just bit the bullet and have ordered the Nokia 5800 I know there is less on it but I wanted a finished product and just felt the G1 was a bit of Beta unit and not really finished,

I’ll give T-mobile 12 > 18 mths to sort out the G1 by then there’s likely to be a lot more available and do something about the looks :)

18. terry.smith

terry.smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    i recieved the G1 today and im loving it but can i afford to pay £30 a month for this phone as i am a student so money is a bit tight but my birthday is coming up soon and this could be my present to myself.lol, the looks are actually not bad and it looks better in real life and there is soo much things in the market place. i think i might keep this.lol

19. Sy1441

Sy1441

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +285
    New G1 units ship with the adaptor for 3.5mm headphones :thumbsup:

20. terry.smith

terry.smith

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings: