T Joint in speaker cables

B9Triker

Standard Member
My hi fi system has a speaker in 1 corner and t'other speaker in t'other corner of the room. When weathers good and partying outside, want to move speakers outside.

I'm thinking of putting speaker cable wall sockets on the internal wall, drilling through behind and fitting wall socket on external wall (would not be exposed to moisture). Would then solder/connect a cable from internal socket through wall to external socket. Want to do this so can disconnect speakers from internal socket and reconnect to external sockets. Otherwise have to drag 30m of cabling out through door - tripping hazzard when under the influence.

Can I put a T join/connection in one of the cables where it goes passed wall socket? otherwise will have to move one length of cable to connect up to socket - and her in doors would not be best pleased:oops:.

Any help/ideas would be appreciated.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
The real problem I see is your reference to 30 meters of wire, hopefully you were exaggerating because the typical belief is that speaker wire should never exceed 50 feet (15 meters).

You plan to put a speaker connection plate on the inside of the wall, then extend it to a speaker connection plate outside the house on the same wall? Why the connection inside? Is that where you speakers are normally placed? Would this connection plate be near the door to the outside? Where will these interior and exterior speakers connection plates be in relation to the amp that will power them?

In principle, there is no reason why you can't do as you suggest. But your reference to 30M of wire confuses the matter greatly. Were you exaggerating with that reference?

What type of speaker connections were you planning to use? 1/4" phono? Common speaker terminals? Speakon? XLR? Other?

Steve/bluewizard

B9Triker

Standard Member
Hello Steve, many thanks for your response - much appreciated.

I think I exaggerated with 30m of cable, it is 15m:oops:. I'll give you the spec of the equipment I have:
Amplifier

NAD C320BEE
with 4 ohm plus impedance

Speakers

From an old Hitachi AXC 46 system - 360 degree alround sound
6 ohm impedance
Power input 100w RMS

Cables

Pure AV Belkin flat 15awg cables - interconnect with polyethelene dielectric
I've attached a "plan" of what I'm wanting. I would like to keep existing cables going to where speakers are situated. But then I want to connect two other cables onto the existing cables to then link upto the internal socket, so I can unplug speakers and take them outside and plug them into the external socket. Otherwise, will have to unravel surplus cable to carry speakers outside which is unsightly and a tripping hazzard

Does that make sense?

Hope this is of help - much appreciate you trying to help.

Cheers

Butch

Attachments

• speakers.xls
    42.5 KB · Views: 53

B9Triker

Standard Member
Hello Trailer, many thanks for message. Think I'll have a look at outdoor speakers. I think there may be too much work involved with rewiring. i mean, I could spend more time watching England win the world cup:boring::boring:

bob1

I reckon i have at leat 150 foot of cable to the bottom of the garden to an outside speaker, i run it off an amp taken out of some pc speakers connected to an mp3 player,works good for me.

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
At best, you have less than 20 feet of wire to your farthest speakers, so I'm still confused about your claim of 15 meters of wire. How big is your back yard/garden that it need that much speaker wire?

You current wire, per your claim, is 15ga AWG, which is about 1.63mm². That is a little small. I should work for your indoor wiring. But I think it is too small if you add substantial outdoor wire lengths. Most would use 13ga AWG or Euro 2.5mm².

Still, in concept, you idea is sound. You certainly can do as you suggest. Just make sure the outdoor connections are weather proof; behind some type of outdoor electrical box or similar.

The only other not of caution, is to never use more than one set of speakers at a time; Indoor OR outdoor, but NEVER both.

Last question, is it safe to assume there is a patio door between the speakers? Or, is this a solid wall? Not that it matters, but if the patio door is right there, it makes it so much easier to move the speakers. Just curious.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

B9Triker

Standard Member
At best, you have less than 20 feet of wire to your farthest speakers, so I'm still confused about your claim of 15 meters of wire. How big is your back yard/garden that it need that much speaker wire?

You current wire, per your claim, is 15ga AWG, which is about 1.63mm². That is a little small. I should work for your indoor wiring. But I think it is too small if you add substantial outdoor wire lengths. Most would use 13ga AWG or Euro 2.5mm².

Still, in concept, you idea is sound. You certainly can do as you suggest. Just make sure the outdoor connections are weather proof; behind some type of outdoor electrical box or similar.

The only other not of caution, is to never use more than one set of speakers at a time; Indoor OR outdoor, but NEVER both.

Last question, is it safe to assume there is a patio door between the speakers? Or, is this a solid wall? Not that it matters, but if the patio door is right there, it makes it so much easier to move the speakers. Just curious.

Steve/bluewizard

Bluewizard, cable ddistance to speakers are about 12 feet. To extend from amp thru patio door into porch would be about 30 feet in total.

Did you see my diagram, and can I put some sort of junction/connection on existing cables to add the cables to be connected up to the wall sockets?

Cheers

Butch

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Did you see my diagram, and can I put some sort of junction/connection on existing cables to add the cables to be connected up to the wall sockets?

Yes, I saw the diagram. With the new cable lengths we now have you are pretty much within the workable range.

Are you going to run the speaker wire inside the walls? Or are you going to run it in the open and just splice at the wall box?

You could use interior wall plates something like this -

Dayton SDP4 4-Way Speaker Distribution Panel | TRS speaker volume control speaker distribution panel pa speakers pa speaker PA loudspeaker impedance distribution panel distribution control audio amplifier audio amplifiers amplifier in-wall StereoDist

Dayton SDP10 In-Wall Speaker Splitter 10-Way | SPLITTERS splitter SPL plastic paint loudspeaker in-wall in wall distribution audio splitter audio audi StereoDistrib11408 | Parts-Express.com

In this case, you would ignore the left and right designations and think of it as IN and OUT. The speaker wire would run along the floor and connect to the junction wall plate IN, the new wire would be connected to the OUT terminals and finish the run to the speakers.

Then internal to this wall plate, a third set of wires would join the exterior connector plate, allowing access to the speakers outside.

You could disconnect the speaker at the interior wall plate and use the same wire outside assuming it is long enough.

If you disconnect the speaker at the actual speaker, you have to remember that those speaker wires are still connected to the amp and you have to take precautions to make sure that the unused speaker wire does NOT SHORT OUT.

Again, it is not the basic concept I'm concerned about. That seems sound. It is the small detail of how you implement this and how you use it, that concern me.

Again, the basic concept is sound and workable.

Steve/bluewizard

B9Triker

Standard Member

Yes, I saw the diagram. With the new cable lengths we now have you are pretty much within the workable range.

Are you going to run the speaker wire inside the walls? Or are you going to run it in the open and just splice at the wall box?

You could use interior wall plates something like this -

Dayton SDP4 4-Way Speaker Distribution Panel | TRS speaker volume control speaker distribution panel pa speakers pa speaker PA loudspeaker impedance distribution panel distribution control audio amplifier audio amplifiers amplifier in-wall StereoDist

Dayton SDP10 In-Wall Speaker Splitter 10-Way | SPLITTERS splitter SPL plastic paint loudspeaker in-wall in wall distribution audio splitter audio audi StereoDistrib11408 | Parts-Express.com

In this case, you would ignore the left and right designations and think of it as IN and OUT. The speaker wire would run along the floor and connect to the junction wall plate IN, the new wire would be connected to the OUT terminals and finish the run to the speakers.

Then internal to this wall plate, a third set of wires would join the exterior connector plate, allowing access to the speakers outside.

You could disconnect the speaker at the interior wall plate and use the same wire outside assuming it is long enough.

If you disconnect the speaker at the actual speaker, you have to remember that those speaker wires are still connected to the amp and you have to take precautions to make sure that the unused speaker wire does NOT SHORT OUT.

Again, it is not the basic concept I'm concerned about. That seems sound. It is the small detail of how you implement this and how you use it, that concern me.

Again, the basic concept is sound and workable.

Steve/bluewizard

I'm going to run the cables in the open and splice at wall socket

Also going to follow your advice Steve/bluewizard and have the speaker cables come from the socket - so as not to leave any exposed bare live wires.

I'm struggling to find a supplier of the Daytona SDP4 4-Way Speaker Distribution Panel here in England - will look for something similar.

Many thanks Steve/bluewizard for your help and guidance - much appreciated.:thumbsup:

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
The Dayton post/plates were just to illustrate. I'm sure UK suppliers have similar products available, it is a fairly common product for people who want to place the wiring or speakers inside their walls.

Steve/bluewizard

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom