1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

!!!!!!!T H X SPEAKERS??????????????

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by mongo, Jul 20, 2001.

1. mongo

mongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    WOT ARE THE BEST THX SPEAKERS AND HOW MUTCH ARE A ULTRA RANGE ALSO IS IT WORTH GETTING THE CHEAPER ONES SELECT??????

GET BACK

I HAVE A E07 AMP ALSO WHEN I UPGRADE I NEED THEM TOO SUIT THE NEXTED ULTRA AMP!!!!!!!!!

2. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can thoroughly recommend the Kef TDM THX (ultra) speaker package (about £2500) although you can spend as much as you want, some THX speaker packages can cost over £20,000 if thats your market. THX Select speakers i believe, still perform under the smae "narrow dispersion" pattern as Ultra but are not required to deliver the same pressure levels being designed for the "smaller" room. IMHO it's THX ultra or nothing.

3. mongo

mongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the kef speakers are select not ultra at that price the ultra have costly tweeter at top of speaker""""""""""""

4. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    The KEF's are Ultra certifed, but were done so before the Ultra and Select version came about.

Other THX, you can choose between Jamo and M&K amoung others.

5. mongo

mongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    wot ultra thx speacker can i get for the price????????

also can you get me the link for them??????

get back

6. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mongo
    Kef TDM range are Ultra certified.
    Tweeter at the top????? (are you sure) you are probably thinking of the B+W CDN range. I would humbly suggest that perhaps you do a little research into what conformities THX require for speakers before making any decision about purchasing. (THX is not everyones cup of tea, they are not overly musical).
    Why not start at : www.thx.com
    you will find a list of all components that are THX ultra/select certified.

SteveEX

7. mongo

mongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks mate!!!!!!

8. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Think about something like the Mirage HDT system. http://www.miragespeakers.com/products/hdt.html
    They work really well on music and movies.
    I agree with Steve THX isn't everyone's cup of tea.
    Review coming soon in HCC I believe.
    Complete system is just over £5K

9. mongo

mongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    can you use the thx speakers for other formats es dts dd?????

also are thx speakers the best for home cine speakers or this a silly question due i am the biggest star wars fan with all the silly versions of the vids he brought out but i got them

sorry for going on

get back
    thanks

10. minimivic

minimivic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Yes THX speakers can be used for DD/DTS Etc.

THX is only a specification, for equipment and speakers to comply to. http://www.thx.com/consumer_products/home_faq.html
    That should answer any question on THX that you have.

THX speakers usually give a narrow dispersion pattern, they can also sound very hard or bright to listen to. This is why a THX amplifier cuts high frequency out in THX mode.
    I stand to be corrected on this one as I am no expert on THX. All I know is that given the choice I would opt for something a little bit easier to listem to. 3 hours of screeching in your eardrums is far too long :D

11. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm afraid i would dispute some of the above statement's. In my experience neither Kef nor MK (reputedly some of the best home cineema speakers bar none) sound shrill or sharp (i own the the Kef TDM range) on the contary, if anything i find them to be quite neutral their response level being as flat (or flatter) as pretty much anything else (of quality) out there. THX re-equalization is amoung other things a gentle upper roll-off filter that's function is too tame bright soundtracks (with some/most cinema's having dialogue speakers behind a fabric screen or the like, sometimes a soundtracks center channel will be biased taking this into account) but IN NO WAY is it's design purpose to tame THX speakers. They do indeed work on a narrow dispertion pattern for the front three speakers but only restricting the vertcal dispertion pattern to minimise floor/ceiling reflections the horizontal dispertion pattern can be considered as wide, (as wide as most other speakers). The rears should give an ultra diffuse dispertion (di-polar by design) again this is very much a matter of taste, i myself use the TDM34ds and as well as being considered as one of the best surrounds about they are Gary Rydstrom's (Lucasfilm/THX sound engineer supremo) personal reference choice for his HC, read into that what you will. THX speakers also must be able to deliver a continuous level of sound pressure (loud) for a given area meter cubed.
    This issue comes up time and time again and i for one geniunely fell that a correctly set-up THX (EX) Ultra set-up never sounds anything less than superb and i can only think that those who would say "it's rubbish or not worth the money" either haven't heard a correctly set-up system or haven't heard one at all.
    I think that alot of the negativity towards THX is cost related rather than performance issues (and after all pretty much all of the very high-end gear sports the THX logo) but regardless of it's "knockers" you know that at the very least a THX peice of kit is going to be at the very least "good", look for reviews of kit with the logo again pretty much all are well received.
    The downsides are:
    definately (for me) musical abilities are relatively poor but then if you're spendind this sort of money then in all honesty you should know this.
    Di-pole surrounds - not everyones cup of tea but ignore the comments stating lack of impact/bass the TDM34ds have as much if not more impact/bass than any (relatively modest) purpose designed mono-pole surrounds the only difference is (i.e) the missile sounds as if it's coming through the rear wall rather than fron a box mounted on the wall!
    Cost - You get what you pay for.
    I think the home THX program is a good thing (company capitalist aspirations aside) and genuinely believe it to be a "good thing" HC wise rather than any form of exploitative hinderance.
    There was a poll recently on this BB and of those who have THX specced amps etc NEARLY ALL used the home THX facility!

12. mongo

mongo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i could of got them kef speakers at a closeing down sale ( dam ) but with out centre for £ 1100 ( they are re opening after refurbe

do you no were i can get them at disconnt price???