system upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by bwalla15, Mar 22, 2006.

1. bwalla15

bwalla15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i currently have an ARCAM 9 integrated amp and a Alpha 9P power amp. What is the best way of upgrading to surround sound without losing the quality i get for my music? would an AVR250/300 offer the same music quality as my current set up or would i be better purcasing a seperate AV amp to go with my current kit?

2. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Possibly get a basic multi-channel receiver that suits your needs that has pre-outs. Connect the av amp pre-outs to the alpha 9 at a spare line in input. All analogue signals are then connected to the arcam and all digital signals to the av amp.

I am not sure if your Arcam has a "HT pass through" facility (the newer range certainly does), but if you can live with the multi box scenario (and the possible dual volume controls), this path will be the cheapest option - and not effect the quality of your existing stereo.

The AVR300 is a very good at its stereo ability, however you will be paying signifigicantly for the privledge. The AVR250 is similar, but the lack of pre-outs on this receiver is a big omission IMHO.

3. MI55ION

MI55ION

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +691
    With all those additional analogue connections, mixed equipment and impedance matching issues, would it not add colouration and ultimately loss of quality to the sound?

4. Harry T2

Harry T2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Possibly, but a matching centre speaker to compliment the stereo speakers negates many of the issues. If the speakers are difficult to drive, or amp characteristics are still colouring the sound, a 3 channel power amp for the front soundstage could be used. The OP, could add another 9P to his setup and achieve the same result (and bi-amp the centre). Many of the users here have different rear speakers to the front, so I wouldn’t be bothered in the amplification differences the multi-box solution creates.

Trying to incorporate AV and stereo ability is a compromise, and something will need to be sacrificed. The AVR300 is very good at both, but it comes at a price. At £1300, IMHO, it performs at the level of the best £500 stereo amps. Combining a stereo amp and AV amp, does create the issues you mentioned, but it does allow you to spend a majority of your budget on your music (if that is your main priority), plus allowing you to get the experience of surround sound.

I had assumed that bwalla was more concerned about music than movies, and he isn’t prepared to compromise on this. Everyone’s situation is different, so this solution doesn’t fit everyone’s needs.

5. bwalla15

bwalla15

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks for the feedback, very useful indeed. i am tempted to go for the single box option and go fo rthe AVR300, however, does this come with HDMI cappabilities? if not which would be the best AV receiver to go for for a simlair price.

p.s. i do love my music, however, nieghbours not so keen!!

6. crobo

crobo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    I have had several AV receivers including 2 HKs and 2 Denons inc the A1SE. Having had an alpha 9 + 9P, then an FMJ A22 + P25 too, my opinion is that your 9/9P combination will probably wipe the floor with any of the budget - midrange Japanese receivers for 2-channel. Maybe the high-end ones too. Reading the Arcam forums the AVR300 is much better than most for 2-channel but it is not cheap. I have my A22 + P25 linked to the preouts of a midrange AV receiver as suggested above with the receiver handling the centre + rears. This is a good compromise and I think you can do this with the Alpha range topo, but ask on the Arcam forums if in doubt.