System upgrade

AntM

Good afternoon everyone,

My current layout is as shown below:

Current.PNG

Unfortunately the Sansui AU-919 is starting to billing me for repair more than I had expected and I would like to stress it a bit less (I am using it at a constant 3/4 of volume, which is not ideal for an amplifier of its age)

I am starting therefore to look for alternative, now that covid helps me giving time home and evaluate solutions.

I have 3 possible options in mind:
Replace the Sansui with a suitable integrated amplifier, for now I have in mind Atoll, Naim, but my dealer has also Moon, MBL... (not accuphase nor Luxman)
Option1.PNG

Make the revolution and separate hifi and ht buying a power amplifier and second sub for my ht (I already have a second pair of speaker I can use)

Option 2.PNG

Option 3: I also have considered to sell the Marantz and make unique system using, for example, Arcam , Anthem, Rotel... AV processor

In all cases the budget is around 4k€, considering that my dealer has 10% discount on everything.

What would be your choice amond the 3?

Orobas

A good amp for the Dynaudio is the Roksan .. they are bombproof, flat and rather excite the dynaudio! and made for each other!
That X38 deserves something like the K3 power or the Caspian M2 Poweramp

However.. if you do not like a brighter forward sound.. then you will need to lean more to a more bass heavy power amp

AntM

A good amp for the Dynaudio is the Roksan .. they are bombproof, flat and rather excite the dynaudio! and made for each other!
That X38 deserves something like the K3 power or the Caspian M2 Poweramp

I see you have the Dynaudio DM2/6, I have them too, as surround speakers but if I take the power amplifier they will become my mains, as they are really good.

That is a good advice in terms of price also, but my dealer does not have Roksan, unfortunately, to be tested

However.. if you do not like a brighter forward sound.. then you will need to lean more to a more bass heavy power amp

I prefer a bit less brigth sound, as it annoys my ears (Marantz is a bright preamplifier and I cannot listen to music for long time)

Orobas

I see you have the Dynaudio DM2/6, I have them too, as surround speakers but if I take the power amplifier they will become my mains, as they are really good.

That is a good advice in terms of price also, but my dealer does not have Roksan, unfortunately, to be tested

I prefer a bit less brigth sound, as it annoys my ears (Marantz is a bright preamplifier and I cannot listen to music for long time)
This is the one thing with Roksan.. they do not sugar coat any source.. what goes in.. gets spat out.. if you're feeding the roksan / dynaudio with bright .. it will stay bright...

Your other option is swap the preamp to a darker one to keep that option.. might be a cheaper option..

OR..... swap out for something like a Lyngdorf with HT bypass and room correction :)

AntM

This is the one thing with Roksan.. they do not sugar coat any source.. what goes in.. gets spat out.. if you're feeding the roksan / dynaudio with bright .. it will stay bright...

Your other option is swap the preamp to a darker one to keep that option.. might be a cheaper option..

OR..... swap out for something like a Lyngdorf with HT bypass and room correction :)

I do not see Lyngdorf neither.

But in the end would you go for integrated amplifier or separate the 2 system bringing in additional complexity?

Orobas

me personally.... i would have a separate dedicated hifi... and a seperate AV.. i wouldn't mix and match but that is my personal preference.

Paul7777x

Distinguished Member
Two separate systems all the way I think.

And this is a serious power amp.

Easily capable of getting the best from the Dynaudios.

Orobas

Arcams have generally been good with Dynaudio, being that much more "tonally darker" to bring down that excitable treble. Good power reserves with the Arcam too... well worth a listen as @Paul7777x mentioned

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom