1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System Upgrade

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by Geoxis, Apr 4, 2005.

1. Geoxis

Geoxis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Hi guys,

This is my first thread, and after a long process of reviews and advices, I am finally going for a Denon 2805 from a AVR 1801. But I want to change my sub woofer and want to go for a 7.1 system or shall I stay with 5.1 Bi-wired front do you think it's a good idea :confused: , What do you guys advice.

I have a 20 meter square room and I feel that my JAMO Sub is suffering and any advice on bookshelf speaker or corner speakers?? . :lease:

2. dazjmarshall

dazjmarshall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Geoxis,

I just did the same upgrade from AVR 1801 to the 2805 .. phew, what a difference it is too :thumbsup:

I have a bi-wired 5.1 setup as well :cool:

However, my room is about 4.5 x 3.5 - not quite as big as yours. To answer your question on 7.1 over 5.1 really depends on a number of things:

1. The 'wife' factor ! Mine would never agree to another 2 speakers .. :(
    2. Your other AV kit. If you have a big TV and good DVD player then 7.1 would give you a better 'wrapped' sound than 5.1 ... apparently .. ;)
    3. What's your speaker budget? I have a REL Quake sub, and B&Ws (which always partner well with Denon). Mission m30, Kef KHT1005 are around 500 quid for a 5.1 package. For a little bit more, Mordaunt-short Genie are worth a look too ..

Just my 0.02p worth ... :D

Cheers,
    Daz

3. Geoxis

Geoxis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Thanks Daz

I do not think she will agree as well but always being diplomat and compromise (I will put 2 more speakers but will buy the flowers to go on it..... :) I am actually receiving the 2805 tomorow how exciting !!!! :clap: I heard a lot about the REL's sub woofers but they are quite expensive though my budget is around £250 can you not get a good sub for this, should I go for second hand?? :confused: .
    I have a 32" flat screen Thomson TV not very big, but looking in the future to get projector.
    what about the Pioneer DV 575 is it really good?