1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System Upgrade - Help Please !

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by technojunkie, Jan 15, 2005.

1. technojunkie

technojunkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I have totally neglected my audio/AV system system for the past five years and it is now in need of a serious overhaul. The system comprises of the following components :-

Quad 44 preamp
    Quad 405-2 power amp
    Yamaha DSP-E492 AV Processor (powers the rear and centre speakers only)
    Marantz CD6000 OSE (CD Player)
    Sony DVP-S735D (DVD Player with internal Dolby Digital/DTS decoder)
    Mission 753's (front)
    Mission 731's (rear)
    Yamaha NS-C70 (centre)
    Yamaha YST-SW50 (active sub)

I would like a combined AV/Audio amplifier but do not know where to start. Furthermore, I do not know which components from my current system I should keep (if any) or which I should replace.

I have a budget of up to £ 800.-, plus what I can get for any of the components from my current system that I sell.

I would very much appreciate some guidance and recommendations on what my options are ?

The system is in a lounge (15ft x 21ft).

Any helpful advice would be much appreciated.

Thankyou.

2. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    :hiya: and welcome to the forums :D

I would just sell the old Yamaha processor, the Yamaha centre and the Yamaha sub.

Replace with something like a Yamaha ax 750SE av amp approx £380
    Mission centre like m3c2 approx £100
    Bk xls200 or Ruark vita 100 from www.bkelec.com £275 or £200 + post respectivily. Both will be a huge step up from teh old yammy sub.

You could also use the Quad 405 power amp to bi-amp the 753 (assuming they can be bi wired) and use the Quad 44 pre for stereo as Im sure the Quad will still be better than the Yamaha in stereo.

Im afraid I have no idea how much your old componants are worth. Best bet would to sell on Fleabay.
    Hope this helps.:D

3. technojunkie

technojunkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thankyou for the response Dfour. I thought the Yamaha hardware were the weakest links. I will sell them as you have suggested.

Is there a surround sound amplifier/receiver that will give stereo performance equal to (or better) than the Quad 44/405-2 as well as good AV performance. I had hoped to have one unit serving both functions. I'm sure I can get about £ 400.- (perhaps more) for the Quad so I could then afford up to £ 800.- for the amp alone.

Thanks again for your help and advice.

4. technojunkie

technojunkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Any further help or advice would be much appreciated.

Thankyou.

5. Tejstar

Tejstar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,075
    You should keep your cd player. My friend has one of these and they are fantastic, the KI version is even better but the OSE isn't far behind. You'd have to spend a lot of money to beat its performance. My advice keep it :smashin:

6. Dfour

Dfour

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +86
    Maybe the best option at that money is the Arcam avr 250. Its meant to be better then the avr 300 model. Maybe also look at the Marantz sr 8500 if you can find one discounted.

A slightly older model that is only a 6.1 amp is the Marantz sr5400OSE model. Now sells at £299 here:
    http://www.empiredirect.co.uk/content/products/details/html/MAR-SR5400OSES.htm

I have no idea how good the quad system is but going from theier reputation it might take some going to get that quality of stereo performance in an av amp:(

M3c2
    http://www.qed-uk.com/q?i=11WDOP2L2F7U&vp=6&bg=216&bp=m3c2x&bi=0
    Or even better M78c
    http://www.soundandvisiononline.com/moreinfo/index.asp?product_id=2939

Also look on fleabay
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=1499&item=3866425095&rd=1
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=14996&item=5743794122&rd=1

7. technojunkie

technojunkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I've been looking at the Arcam AVR250 and 300. If either of these units could give me the same stereo performance as the Quad44/405-2, then I would sell the Quads and put the money towards one of the Arcam's.

Does anybody have any information regarding the stereo audio performance of either the Arcam AVR250 or 300 against a Quad 44/405-2 set-up.

Thankyou.

8. kitlowski

kitlowski

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Im currently purchading as arcam av250 with quad 21l speakers - the music quality of this combination (with arcam dv78) is trully incredible

9. technojunkie

technojunkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Thankyou for the post Kitlowski. I'm not familiar with the Quad 21L speakers, I know they are knew and I've not seen any reviews yet. I have a pair of Mission 753's which I consider to be excellent speakers. I was originally considering the Arcam AVR 250 but found out that it doesn't have any audio pre-out's and audio power output is 30 watts per channel less than the AVR 300. However, the AVR 300 is £ 300.- more than the AVR 250 and so I am still undecided.

Did you listen to and consider any other AV amps before settling on the Arcam AVr 250 ?

Thanksgain for you response.

10. technojunkie

technojunkie
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Does anybody have any information on the Marantz 8500 ?