System upgrade advice please?

tony cosgrove

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have recently bought a new Philips 65OLED706 TV which is hooked up to my existing stereo receiver via the optical input in the amp which has an onboard DAC then out to the stereo bookshelf speakers and whilst the sound is fine I'm looking to take advantage of the current audio from the TV rather than just listen in two channel.

Actually the sound from TV to the receiver and speakers isn't much better than the TV's own speakers which includes a subwoofer.

So I'm thinking about overhauling my current system which is

Philips 65OLED706
Apple TV 4K (21) connected to my TV via the TV's HDMI eARC port
Yamaha RN-803D stereo reciever
Yamaha MusicCast TT connected to the receiver analogue inputs
Topping D10s Dac connected to the receiver via analogue inputs
Raspberry Pi3 with a 2gig HDD containing my music library (Flac) and using Volumio both connected to the Topping

The speakers are Elac BS-312 bookshelves (specs below), I have always felt that the Yamaha receiver isn't capable of getting the best out these speakers.

We listen to a lot of streamed music via Airplay or via Volumio and also FM radio and Dab+ and occasionally internet radio streams.
We watch a lot of streamed TV ie BBC iplayer, Amazon Prime and ATV+ plus iTunes movies and I also have amazon music but not HD

So I'd like some advice on how to go forward here, I can sell the Yamaha which is probably worth about £400 and possibly sell the Elac's too including their stands for maybe £600 but I'd like to keep the speakers at least initially, basically, to try to hear what they're actually capable of so a decent integrated amp would be advantageous.

I was thinking about buying a mid range AVR possibly from Yamaha again but this is not set in stone and an integrated stereo amplifier with HT bypass and hook both up to give us a decent stereo sound and decent TV/movie sound but we're not looking for earth shattering theatre sounds, the most important thing with HT/TV is dialogue that is a must as we watch a lot of dialogue type movies/TV.

Initially I'd be happy with a 2.0 system for both home theatre and music then add a centre and sub and maybe surround speakers and also maybe those Atmos modules for the front speakers, if I sold the Elac's then I'd be quite happy to buy a set of HT speakers ie Elac or similar.

The room is a typical 1930s type of room approx 5mts X 4Mts X 3mts (h) with a bay window, tiled floor and pretty minimal ie no fireplace etc.

I can easily install wired rears and other speakers HT speakers but would prefer to use wireless rather than drilling holes and running cables, the sub would be installed, probably, beside the TV & the front two speakers but it can go anywhere in the room especially if it is going to be wireless.

I would say that music is important probably more important than movies/TV simply because of the fact that music is on almost from early morning until about 7pm but we don't listen loud most of our listening is pretty low level ie background music if you will.

Budget isn't massive and we don't really want a lot of boxes either so even a good AVR with analogue inputs and an onboard FM&DAB radio, the TT has it's on onboard phono preamp so that can just be connected to the analogue inputs of what ever amp(s) we end up with plus I rarely listen to vinyl these days but I do have a bit of a vinyl collection so still need the TT even if it's just to sell the odd record on Discogs.

I currently use Yamaha's MusicCast app which is very good and I also use an iPad Pro to access Apple Music airplayed to the Yamaha receiver.

Thanks

Tony

Elac BS-312 speakers
Speaker type: 2-way, bass reflex
Tweeter: 1 x JET 5
Woofer: 1 x 115 mm AS -XR cone
Crossover frequency: 3,200 Hz
Frequency response: 42 to 50,000 Hz
Sensitivity: 87 dB at 2.83 v/1m
Recommended amplifier power: 50 to 150 wpc
Nominal/peak power handling: 70 / 100 wpc
Nominal impedance: 4 Ω; minimum 3.4 Ω @ 280 Hz
Binding posts: 5-way metal
Magnetic shielding: No
Cabinet finish: High gloss black or white
Accessories included: Metal grille
Height: 8.2 in / 208 mm
Width: 4.8 in / 123 mm
Depth: 11.1in / 282 mm
Net weight (each): 15.9 lb / 7.2 kg

Yamaha receiver

Last edited:
Your Elac loudspeakers are out of kilter with your processing and amplification and no budget AVR is going to make a better job of driving the loudspeakers than your current stereo receiver.

Unless you have a decent budget for a quality stereo amp I would consider keeping the networked stereo receiver and switch out the loudspeakers for something which is a better match to your amplification.

Joe

Your Elac loudspeakers are out of kilter with your processing and amplification and no budget AVR is going to make a better job of driving the loudspeakers than your current stereo receiver.

Unless you have a decent budget for a quality stereo amp I would consider keeping the networked stereo receiver and switch out the loudspeakers for something which is a better match to your amplification.

Joe

Thanks Joe, I've since sold the Yamaha and bought a DENON AVR-x4500H and to be honest the Elacs sound an awful lot better with the Denon for both music and movies, I've also bought an SVS Micro sub and a Monitor Audio C350 centre speaker.

I am aware that it's not ideal matching the Elacs with the MA centre speaker but the Elac centre speaker with a Jet 5 tweeter is over £1100 and that is way out of my budget however I'm on the lookout for a decent stereo integrated amp with an HT bypass to connect to the Denon and drive the Elacs for music.

I believe Leema Tucana and or Elements are good with Elacs and also Plinius amps or the higher priced Denon integrated amps.

I could also buy a three channel power amp to drive the LRC speakers from the Denon which really does sound pretty good with the Elacs so that's another possibility I suppose.

Tony

The Rega Elicit-R stereo amplifier has HT Bypass which works great, but it’s expensive.

I’m using KEF R series speakers. Stereo material (music) sounds amazing via the Elicit-R.

For surround sound, I drive my front speakers through the Elicit-R with HT bypass engaged and the surround speakers are driven from my Denon X6200W.

Regards,
James.

The Rega Elicit-R stereo amplifier has HT Bypass which works great, but it’s expensive.

I’m using KEF R series speakers. Stereo material (music) sounds amazing via the Elicit-R.

For surround sound, I drive my front speakers through the Elicit-R with HT bypass engaged and the surround speakers are driven from my Denon X6200W.

Regards,
James.

Thanks, to be completely honest with the sub and the Elacs being driven by the DENON AVR the sound is really very good for stereo cause obviously the sub is handling all of the low frequencies below 80hz leaving the Elacs to really shine in the midrange and high frequencies I'm sure the Elicit-R would be a step up but at the moment I'm happy with stereo via the Denon albeit the Denon is processing the sub and the Elacs however with pure direct selected on the Denon or Pure then I'm back to the Elacs sounding shit basically which is obviously where a very good integrated would help.

Tony

Thanks, to be completely honest with the sub and the Elacs being driven by the DENON AVR the sound is really very good for stereo cause obviously the sub is handling all of the low frequencies below 80hz leaving the Elacs to really shine in the midrange and high frequencies I'm sure the Elicit-R would be a step up but at the moment I'm happy with stereo via the Denon albeit the Denon is processing the sub and the Elacs however with pure direct selected on the Denon or Pure then I'm back to the Elacs sounding sh*t basically which is obviously where a very good integrated would help.

Tony

If you’re happy with the stereo performance, than stick with what you have 👍.

It’s all very subjective and comes down to personal choice - for me, I don’t use my subwoofers for two channel stereo music and I much prefer the sound I get from the Rega amplifier.

My Denon AVR works great for surround sound, but is missing something for two channel music.

Regards,
James.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom