Craso

Standard Member
@smit9891If you like clean, clear and detailed sound take a look to Audio Phisic range of speakers. I have the Classic 20 with my Lyngdorf TDAI 1120 and they sound fantastic with any genres of music I have tried.

smit9891

Novice Member
I’d consider the following.

The Lyngdorf 1120.

These splendid things.

Or, if the budget stretches far enough.

And the Rega P8.

I’d also try the P8 into the 1120s phono stage first.

RoomPerfect and Dynaudios best active speakers will be supremely difficult to beat at your budget, and plenty of cash above.
Hi. I am sorry that I have been slow to respond to this, especially following the effort you made to respond to my post.

At risk of showing my inexperience with different audio components here - I have to ask the question... You have recommended active speakers, would connecting the Lyngdorf to them not damage the amp? You also suggested the possibility of using the Phono Stage on the Lyngdorf, the options of less components may work well in what looks like a purer set up. Would this additional amplification of the signal not put the Lyngdorf at even more risk?

I have been looking at what you have suggested and it certainly looks like an appealing option that looks to be within my budget.

DT79

Hi. I am sorry that I have been slow to respond to this, especially following the effort you made to respond to my post.

At risk of showing my inexperience with different audio components here - I have to ask the question... You have recommended active speakers, would connecting the Lyngdorf to them not damage the amp? You also suggested the possibility of using the Phono Stage on the Lyngdorf, the options of less components may work well in what looks like a purer set up. Would this additional amplification of the signal not put the Lyngdorf at even more risk?

I have been looking at what you have suggested and it certainly looks like an appealing option that looks to be within my budget.
The lyngdorf has a pair of phono pre-out sockets, you’d connect these to the input of a pair of active speakers (so the regular speaker binding posts would go unused).

davidf

Previously davidf
While doing research, I have read many times that a majority of your budget is best allocated to the speakers as they are the difference maker. This should be the starting place but I don't really know where to start.
The only reason to start with the loudspeakers is to choose the right speakers for your room. Starting with the speakers for any other reason, and spending the majority of any budget on them will only end in an unbalanced system that won’t sound as good as it should do for the budget. Some speakers are more demanding than others,

Please see below list of what I am considering:

Turntable - Rega P8 (£1,700) + Apheta 3 Cartridge (£900 when purchased with Turntable)
Pre-Amp - I would appreciate any advice here having not really looked. I am a fan of the Hegel v10 (£1,350)
Amplifier - Lyngdorf TDAI - 1120 (£1,995)
Speakers - ???

There is plenty of room left in the budget for speakers but am struggling to determine which model/ manufacturer would provide me with a balanced system. That is assuming that the other components of the system compliment one another.
Your choice of speaker will be heavily influenced by the amplifier and its capabilities. All amplifiers can sound good, until they are paired with a speaker that makes demands beyond the comfortable limit of the amplifier - and all amplifiers have limits. Some loudspeakers work well with Class D amplifiers, and some don’t, sounding better with more conventional Class AB amplifiers. They also sound quite different too.

The other biggest influence on your choice will be your own preferences.

You need to find out what sort of sound you’re chasing. Not everyone likes the sound of “accurate” and “neutral”, with many finding that some systems become less enjoyable the nearer they get to neutral. For this, visit a dealer or two and ask for a couple of different approaches for your needs and budget (that will also suit your size of listening space). One may jump out at you. One should jump out at you! Especially if the dealers are doing something right.

It might all sound complicated, but it’s not really, as long as you avoid those who try to force feed you their preferred brands/systems over and above your needs and requirements. You’re the one who has to pay for this system, and you’re the one who has to live with this system - nobody else.

smit9891

Novice Member
The lyngdorf has a pair of phono pre-out sockets, you’d connect these to the input of a pair of active speakers (so the regular speaker binding posts would go unused).
Ok I am with you. This would then also enable you to use the analogue inputs for a pre-amp if you desired? It's an interesting concept, to consider buying a new amp but to not use the regular speaker binding posts. I imagine I am only thinking that way because I hadn't contemplated using active speakers.

It is assumed that by using the phono pre-outs for your speakers, you cannot then connect a sub? I have never really considered using a sub woofer before, with more clarity on the crossover and amplification dedicated to the lower ranges, I imagine there is less desire for a sub with active speakers. The theory also being that Room Perfect would also help achieve a more holistic sound?

Using the analogue inputs and the phone pre-outs would make the use of the Lyngdorf feel quite passive, almost as though you would be using it purely for the interface and Room Perfect features.

gava

I'm not sure. honestly. Getting an 1120 and not using the amplifier bit seems a bit weird.

If you want active speakers and room correction the obvious answer is the Buchard A700. They have a very good returns policy - so would there be any harm in trying? If you are desperate to spend the whole 10k you could add a set of A500s into the bargain and put them in a different room or the same one for 4-speaker 2-channel surround, which I have been experimenting with lately and it sounds remarkable good even in an uncorrected configuration, but the Buchard's have correction as part of the deal.

Or perhaps 1120 matched with Revel F226Be would seem less jarring. You would be getting the best room correction (for speakers that would need it the least as their off-axis performance is superb, and they are designed to need very little).

DT79

Ok I am with you. This would then also enable you to use the analogue inputs for a pre-amp if you desired? It's an interesting concept, to consider buying a new amp but to not use the regular speaker binding posts. I imagine I am only thinking that way because I hadn't contemplated using active speakers.

It is assumed that by using the phono pre-outs for your speakers, you cannot then connect a sub? I have never really considered using a sub woofer before, with more clarity on the crossover and amplification dedicated to the lower ranges, I imagine there is less desire for a sub with active speakers. The theory also being that Room Perfect would also help achieve a more holistic sound?

Using the analogue inputs and the phone pre-outs would make the use of the Lyngdorf feel quite passive, almost as though you would be using it purely for the interface and Room Perfect features.
Yes, you could easily use the 1120 just as a streamer/pre-amp/room correction device. I agree it might seem a bit odd leaving the power amp section doing nothing, but it will work and your £2K has still bought you an awful lot, arguably something you wouldn’t get by spending that £2K on any other single component (the unique part being Room Perfect). I used my TDAI-2170 with active speakers when I first got it, and it worked great.

The only downside of this approach with the 1120 as you rightly point out is that you couldn’t also connect up an active subwoofer(s) if you’re using the pre-outs for your active speakers. Of course you don’t need a sub, and there are plenty active speakers out there with which you probably wouldn’t miss one, but it’s definitely a consideration.

The TDAI-2170 (recently discontinued) has both analogue and digital outputs, so you could hook up both active speakers and a sub(s), and these are available second hand for around the same money (or I assume there are still some new ~£3K depending on options), but they don’t come with the built-in streamer, so not such an elegant solution.

If you want another great option, look at my signature (lounge system from amp onwards & swap 2170 for 1120). That leaves ~£4,400 for your TT, and I would seriously recommend the Technics SL-1200G. In fact just look at my signature and take off any bits you don’t need. I’m very very happy with it and it’s roughly on budget.

bay73

I use the phono stage on my Lyngdorf 1120 and it sounds fantastic.

If you are thinking of speakers I would recommended integrating a sub which the 1120 does seamlessly. Really improved the performance of my B&W CM8’s.

English Invader

Despite my earlier concern over the OP's readiness for a £10k system, I do have a suggestion:

The set-up is a £3,000 pair of Pearl Acoustics Sibelius speakers (this is the only product the company manufactures) and the £6,000 valve amplifier detailed in the above video.

The man in the video (Harley Lovegrove) is the CEO and chief engineer of Pearl Acoustics and his videos contain a wealth of information. Total class act.

gava

Despite my earlier concern over the OP's readiness for a £10k system, I do have a suggestion:

The set-up is a £3,000 pair of Pearl Acoustics Sibelius speakers (this is the only product the company manufactures) and the £6,000 valve amplifier detailed in the above video.

The man in the video (Harley Lovegrove) is the CEO and chief engineer of Pearl Acoustics and his videos contain a wealth of information. Total class act.

Looks like fun, but it's not how I'd spend my fist 10k on a system. Maybe if I had already spent 50 or 60k.

Rob Sinden

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
Hi Smit

Assuming you are looking for the most accurate system so you can hear what’s on the recording rather than the sound of the equipment, you should discount vinyl and valves. A good digital system will give audibly and measurably better sound.

The part of the system that does come down personal preference are the speakers used. I think any high-end system should be able to reproduce everything in your recordings and, when required, play loud.

This will require a full range speaker system that plays to 20Hz. Speakers that do this are very big and expensive, typically costing over £20k. For the same budget you can choose from a wide range of great compact speakers that will give just the same mid and high frequency quality as the floor standers. You then add bass in with one or two subs. This will give much better sound, more output and a more powerful system for much less than full range speakers.

The weakest link in this sort of system will be how the room changes the sound of the speakers. These changes are huge any cannot be fixed with room treatment. Please note that much of what was said about acoustics on Darkos site is complete rubbish.

I’d suggest you listen a system with compact speakers and woofers as the difference in quality is so obvious.

Please get in touch if I can help and you'd like to put these claims to the test.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 OLED + JBL Synthesis SDR-35 First Thoughts, plus TV Show & Disc Reviews & more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom