• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

System update Sky movies pin removed

Ayub

Distinguished Member
Today the system update removed the pin on the sky movies in Bradford YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

I know its going round the country so sit tight and hold on to your lug nuts Itssssssssssssss time for a overhaul. :D ( you know i have been watching the Mask) :devil:

Nivek TT

Distinguished Member
But does this mean kiddies can watch naughty movies during the day and not creep downstairs after mommy and daddy have gone to bed..?

M

melonman

Are you sure you are not just watching the Sky Family Movies channel? Or have you already entered you pin today and your tvdrive is 'remembering' it?

Anyway, it would be nice if what you are saying is true. I'll wait and see if there is any confirmation of this before opening my bottle of champagne.

essjay

Established Member
The PIN has not been removed. The PIN challenge has now been embeded into the system build rather than having to press the red button.

kgollop

Established Member
So do we still have to enter our pin..?

And does this effect recording from the movie channels..?

We no longer need to press red before we enter the pin. We can also pause/rewind etc when watching the live stream now. Recordings shouldn't be affected at all (though you may want to check any planned recordings of the movie channels).

DynaMight

Established Member
It's better, you can bring up the TV Guide without having to completely exit, you can also bring up the movie info. It basically acts like any other normal channel (or how they used to act) after you've entered the pin.

It's an improvement.

Redline Rossi

Standard Member
Guy's, Does anyone know how long this update takes? Mines been going for well over an hour now, and all i've got is the green screen with message "Important: do not switch off your set top box as it is being updated"
Getting a bit peeved :(

Maybe it's stuck in a loop?

Please help!!

james_uk9

Established Member
Guy's, Does anyone know how long this update takes? Mines been going for well over an hour now, and all i've got is the green screen with message "Important: do not switch off your set top box as it is being updated"
Getting a bit peeved :(

Maybe it's stuck in a loop?

Please help!!

Same happened here, so I bit the bullet and pulled the plug:eek:. A reboot fixed it though:thumbsup:.

Redline Rossi

Standard Member
Right, switched the box off from the mains and the update started re-installing again. Tried pushing reboot and that didnt work either.
Suppose I've got to call VM CS now...... *Repeatedly bangs head on the desk in frustration :censored:

SpookyElvis

Established Member
Well, it's taken a while but I can live with this solution. Just delighted to have PVR and miniguide functions back on the movie channels-I'd stopped watching them because of this fiasco. Fingers crossed now that we don't need to enter a PIN at all after 9PM. Not gonna hold my breath though.

TCB

M

melonman

It's a slight improvement then.

A real solution would be to have a complete pin entry override in the settings menu giving the user the option to enter the pin once, change the setting to bypass pin and it would stay like that permanently (at least until they want to want to reactivate it).

I understand why the pin protection is there and will no doubt find it useful in years to come as my offspring gets older, but come on Virgin, please treat us like adults and allow us to decide if pin protection should be active or not. There are probably lots of perfectly grown up adults with no pesky kids in the house that don't need the pin entry system to be active by default anyway.

How many of you still have your pin set as '1234'? Not exactly the farking Da Vinci Code is it?

essjay

Established Member
From what I understand this is actually a OFCOM requirement by broadcasters

section 3(4)(h) and 319(2)(a) and (f) of the Communications Act 2003 , Article 22 of the Television Without Frontiers Directive, Article 10 of the European Convention on Human Rights.

The principal is to ensure that people under eighteen are protected.

DynaMight

Established Member
I much prefer having the option to watch a decent 12/15/18 at 2pm rather than the crappy family films you used to get. It's worth the pin system, if it's pin or nothing.

M

melonman

The principal is to ensure that people under eighteen are protected.

...which is fine if there are people under 18 in the household. It just seems ridiculous to have to re-enter the pin number if you decide to switch to another channel and then switch back to the pin locked channel.

There must be a better way of doing things. Is there a similar system on Sky boxes? Is it just as annoying?

The latest video from AVForums

Spielberg, Shyamalan, Aronofsky, Chazelle, Eddie Murphy and Mel Gibson - all the latest movies
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom