Question System that is user friendly

nwatson6

Standard Member
Hi,

I have reached a point where I need to decide which direction to go in, and I am not sure which is best. Some advice would be most welcome.

At present I have a squeezebox and stream music/internet radio to my av amp in the living room. My library is on a synology NAS running LMS and mainly use an android app "squeezer" to control things. I can also cast music to a couple of chromecast devices connected to tvs in the house using the NAS synology apps. I am happy with this solution but "er indoors" likes to put cds in, as a result in the kitchen we have a small sony hifi with ipod dock(for the daughter to use).

We recently saw the panasonic allplay devices and the ability to stream to other allplay speakers etc. caught the imagination of "er indoors" especially as you can stream cds around the house.

So I am looking for advice as to which system I should be looking at, especially as I might be able to pursuade the other half to forgo the cd player. Sonos looks nice but pricey and has been around for a while, not too sure about the other systems or how long they will be around for.

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
If you can wean the missus away from physical CDs, I think I'd stick with more used SBs. SB Radio would be fine for the kitchen.

Either put your daughter's music on the NAS or maybe get her a BT speaker she can move around with her.

nwatson6

Standard Member
Not sure I want to invest in "dead" technology, I do like the squeezebox, but it is not a one box solution, I have not heard the boom or radio versions. How do these compare to something like the sonos play 1?

RBZ5416

Distinguished Member
SB is only dead in terms of the hardware. The server software is still alive & well thanks to being open source & supported by the community. You might be surprised at just how archaic some of the current DLNA based offerings are.

As for how the SB products compare to Sonos, I've no idea as I haven't heard the Sonos. No doubt there are others here who have experience of both & will chip in. Other than that, just buy one & try it. The advantage of only being available used means you shouldn't lose any money if you don't like it & have to move it on.

Another option for a psuedo-standalone is a Touch hooked up to powered speakers.

nicka099

When using 'smart' speakers/streamers, so much of it is down to the software.
I own both Allplay (only for Spotify Connect) and Sonos devices and hands down the sonos is vastly superior in ease of use.
Allplay is also very limited compared to Sonos in terms of music services that are supported. Even my wife can work Sonos and thats saying something !

One thing to consider is that buying wireless speakers from a technology company that has a very broad product portfolio like Panasonic is that, if the men in suits decide its not generating the profits they expect, they'll kill it stone dead or launch a new range and the old one will be obsolete with little to no support. Sonos (and some others like Bluesound) have all their eggs in one basket so they will work very hard to provide the best solution for their target market and support will be considerably better. If they dont, they will fail very quickly (like 'Beep'). Sonos are, 12 years later, very much the market leader for a reason.

Last edited:

Cebolla

SB is only dead in terms of the hardware. The server software is still alive & well thanks to being open source & supported by the community. You might be surprised at just how archaic some of the current DLNA based offerings are.

As for how the SB products compare to Sonos, I've no idea as I haven't heard the Sonos. No doubt there are others here who have experience of both & will chip in. Other than that, just buy one & try it. The advantage of only being available used means you shouldn't lose any money if you don't like it & have to move it on.

Another option for a psuedo-standalone is a Touch hooked up to powered speakers.
+1

Also plenty of ways of using current existing hardware to emulating a Squeezebox and so be used as if it were a real one, again thanks to the Squeezebox community. Just written about similar in a recent post:
Question - Wireless music streamer that allows multiple users?

nwatson6

Standard Member
Thanks for the comments, I am wary of going down the allplay route, as rightly said the companies can and often do just drop products, like Logitech did with the squeezebox(not sure why, surely it was a credible alternative to Sonos).

I think now "er indoors" is happy to ditch the CDs, so I need to find something easy to use, but I am not convinced about buying used squeezebox boom/radio, and cobbling together some kind of squeezebox player seems to be messy.I personally like the simplicity of the one box solutions like the Sonos Play 1 type speakers.

I run LMS on a synology NAS and it does show up as a media server to windows media player so maybe it would show up to Sonos?

I am thinking I should look at keeping squeezebox in the living room(for now?), and choosing something else to stream to the rest of the house.
In that arena it seems there is as far as I can see only Sonos that has any real history. But lots of "new" systems like Panasonic, Heos, Samsung etc. So which has the easiest and reliable interface, I have heard that the Heos app is flakey, ditto the Panasonic Allplay one? Also Google are promising some kind of multiroom for their chromecast audio, but that isn't strictly a one box solution.

Cebolla

I run LMS on a synology NAS and it does show up as a media server to windows media player so maybe it would show up to Sonos?
No, unfortunately it won't show up to the Sonos controller. LMS has got a UPnP/DLNA plugin that allows it to be used as a UPnP/DLNA media server to provide access to its music library to UPnP/DLNA supporting streamers. WMP has got built-in UPnP/DLNA streaming support, so can access the LMS as a UPnP/DLNA media server, if the LMS UPnP/DLNA media interface plugin has been activated.
Even though Sonos does apparently privately use UPnP, it does not allow its controllers outside access to UPnP/DLNA media servers. It has no need to, as it maintains its own proprietary music library server that is automatically shared & kept in sync by all the Sonos devices internally.

Ironically, you should be able to go the other way round, as it's been reported that you can use a Sonos device as a UPnP/DLNA streamer. So using a UPnP/DLNA controller to push tracks from a UPnP/DLNA server to a Sonos speaker (behaving as a UPnP/DLNA streamer) for playback. The Sonos speaker will therefore likely show up as a 'Squeezebox' on your favourite Squeezebox controller, if you use the LMS UPnPBridge/squeeze2UPnP plugin (not to be confused with the UPnP/DLNA media interface plugin) to identify the Sonos speaker as a UPnP/DLNA streamer and provide a Squeezebox for emulator it!

Edit: (even) further info
BTW, as you currently appear to be happy playing music with your Chromecast video devices plugged into tvs, you could try using them with the LMS CastBridge/squeeze2cast plugin as it is supposed to support them too, not just the Chromecast Audio (only) devices. That way you'll be able to control the Chromecast devices with your Squeezebox controller app (and therefore have access to LMS), as opposed to being 'stuck' just using the NAS Synology apps.
It might even inspire you to get a Chromecast Audio device to plug into the Sony HiFi in the kitchen (assuming it has an audio input) and turn that into a Squeezebox too!

Last edited:

Cebolla

Is the problem that your attempt to specifically install the CastBridge LMS plugin on the Synology NAS doesn't work or is that you don't know how to in general install a 3rd party LMS plugin on the Synology NAS?

nwatson6

Standard Member
the latter, i simply don't know how, and have not really found any info online to help me. I would really need an idiots guide....

nwatson6

Standard Member
Just an update I have now managed to get my synology NAS to play to chromecasts as well as my squeezebox using an updated LMS. Only problem it does not sync so no multiroom party.

I guess now that I can use some chromecast audio units I need to find some kind of speaker to plug into, any suggestions? Was looking for something like the sonos play 1 size?

treefern

Novice Member
Keep it simple. DLNA works just fine. I use NAS (Assett database) and Bubble upnp googledroid app as controller straight to Yamaha R N500 amp. If I want multiroom then use Panasonic All1c to same amp and Panasonci All8 speaker (£100). All can connect to Spotify connect.(not at same time). I used to have 3 squeezebox devices. I was happy to see them go.
A cheap option is Gramofon. Sonos is a rip-off and not really hi-fi.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom