Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

System Temperature help.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Loafer316, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys..i'm running a XP2600 with a Retail HSF on a Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard.

The Asus Probe is reporting my CPU temp to be 50c and MB temp at 27c during idle/internet browsing. I know its warm today but it seems very high to me. Considering my little sisters xp2600 shuttle xpc doesn't go over 42c

the system is in a standard case with a panaflo exhaust fan at the back. I used the thermal pad supplied with the AMD fan and have as far as i can see seated it properly. My system hasn't shown any instability of any sort though.

any suggestions.

thxs for your help

2. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmm just took the side panel off and its gone down to 45c at idle.:blush:

3. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now you've ruined the HSF by melting that lovely thermal pad all over it, chuck it in the bin where it belongs ;)

Get a decent 3rd party heatsink and fan. The latest TT Volcanos are good but can quite noisey so depends whether that bothers you or not. The most important thing though is a nice liberal layers of Arctic Silver 3 Thermal Compound on the core before fitting it. I know it may sound like a simple thing to do but it can make such a difference

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +294
    That temp seems ok to me. My temps are 55deg idle and 63 deg loaded for the processor. My systems very stable at these temps so i'm not worried. I have also felt the hsf when loaded and didn't feel remotely hot so i think the temps are a bit inflated imo. I checked the amd site for temp ranges and the op temps go up to 90 deg so we've a way to go before the thing starts to complain. My Rigs an XP2800+ on an MSI K7N2G mobo.

5. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanxs guys...feel a bit at ease now.....i will go on to get a better HSF but not at the moment. the new HSF will have to be quite though....might save up for a decent one and change the fans....i have a couple of panaflos.

thxs!!

6. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    woahh !!

I have ASUS P4T-E at the mo for the main home PC.
    ASUS probe was telling me the normal CPU temp is 65°C +, rising to > 70 under heavy use.
    Wipping the cover off, the heatsink felt only 'warm'
    This was after installing an Arctic Cooling self regulating fan, so I suspected if this was working OK, or I hadn't fitted it properly.

Doinga re-boot and checking the temp in the BIOS hardware monitor (without it having time to cool), always showed temps of around 43°C (when a moment before the ASUS probe said 68°).

Installed the MoBoMonitor linked from www.QuietPC.com web site...
    I have it set for keybd short cut Ctrl+Alt+m to pop-up the MoBo & CPU temps.

MoBo is never > 32° and CPU between 42 - 46°...
    which is what the BIOS said

so
    looks like ASUS PC Probe is not accurate
    (funny - co the MoBo temp DID agree with the BIOS )

Steve

7. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That could be what's classed as the internal (or dye) temp of the CPU. This is normally higher than what most external censors take as a CPU temp reading but not normally that much out - that's quite a jump.

Personally if I had a system other than a high end 2800+ upwards AMD (I wish) that was over 50 idle I would probably be looking at ways to get it down before firing up for a game of MOHAA but then I'm a fussy bugger :)

8. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Athlon XP 2400 at 150/2.251GHz @1.85V = roughly 2700+
    With
    Cpu coolermaster copper heatsink + 80cm fan at 2500rpm (fanmate)
    80mm case fan medium (fanmate)
    Enermax whisper PSU fan quite low.

Min: 49/32 (cpu/mb degrees C)
    Max: 51/33
    Avg: 50/32

Just had machine on for an hour of so, did a 1.7GB backup to DVD and burnt a full CD backup, not much cpu strees I know!

Was about 3-4C lower at 133/2GHz standard Voltage.
    MPEG munching goes to about 54C I think, still tuning performance vs heat!

regards,
    Rob.

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,427
    My CPU temp is approx 64C under load and the system temp about 40C. Think they're on the high side and I'd like to get them down. This is a P4 2.4Ghz running with an FSB of 144 instead of 133 (think that means it's running at 2.6Ghz?). Reckon some thermal paste will get it down a bit as I ran out the last time I fitted the heatsink!

Cheers,
    Andy.