1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System Temperature help.

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Loafer316, Jun 14, 2003.

1. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys..i'm running a XP2600 with a Retail HSF on a Asus A7N8X Deluxe motherboard.

The Asus Probe is reporting my CPU temp to be 50c and MB temp at 27c during idle/internet browsing. I know its warm today but it seems very high to me. Considering my little sisters xp2600 shuttle xpc doesn't go over 42c

the system is in a standard case with a panaflo exhaust fan at the back. I used the thermal pad supplied with the AMD fan and have as far as i can see seated it properly. My system hasn't shown any instability of any sort though.

any suggestions.

thxs for your help

2. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hmmm just took the side panel off and its gone down to 45c at idle.:blush:

3. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now you've ruined the HSF by melting that lovely thermal pad all over it, chuck it in the bin where it belongs ;)

Get a decent 3rd party heatsink and fan. The latest TT Volcanos are good but can quite noisey so depends whether that bothers you or not. The most important thing though is a nice liberal layers of Arctic Silver 3 Thermal Compound on the core before fitting it. I know it may sound like a simple thing to do but it can make such a difference

4. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +257
    That temp seems ok to me. My temps are 55deg idle and 63 deg loaded for the processor. My systems very stable at these temps so i'm not worried. I have also felt the hsf when loaded and didn't feel remotely hot so i think the temps are a bit inflated imo. I checked the amd site for temp ranges and the op temps go up to 90 deg so we've a way to go before the thing starts to complain. My Rigs an XP2800+ on an MSI K7N2G mobo.

5. Loafer316

Loafer316
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Thanxs guys...feel a bit at ease now.....i will go on to get a better HSF but not at the moment. the new HSF will have to be quite though....might save up for a decent one and change the fans....i have a couple of panaflos.

thxs!!

6. Steve1138

Steve1138

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    woahh !!

I have ASUS P4T-E at the mo for the main home PC.
    ASUS probe was telling me the normal CPU temp is 65°C +, rising to > 70 under heavy use.
    Wipping the cover off, the heatsink felt only 'warm'
    This was after installing an Arctic Cooling self regulating fan, so I suspected if this was working OK, or I hadn't fitted it properly.

Doinga re-boot and checking the temp in the BIOS hardware monitor (without it having time to cool), always showed temps of around 43°C (when a moment before the ASUS probe said 68°).

Installed the MoBoMonitor linked from www.QuietPC.com web site...
    I have it set for keybd short cut Ctrl+Alt+m to pop-up the MoBo & CPU temps.

MoBo is never > 32° and CPU between 42 - 46°...
    which is what the BIOS said

so
    looks like ASUS PC Probe is not accurate
    (funny - co the MoBo temp DID agree with the BIOS )

Steve

7. TEK

TEK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    That could be what's classed as the internal (or dye) temp of the CPU. This is normally higher than what most external censors take as a CPU temp reading but not normally that much out - that's quite a jump.

Personally if I had a system other than a high end 2800+ upwards AMD (I wish) that was over 50 idle I would probably be looking at ways to get it down before firing up for a game of MOHAA but then I'm a fussy bugger :)

8. Rob.Screene

Rob.Screene

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Athlon XP 2400 at 150/2.251GHz @1.85V = roughly 2700+
    With
    Cpu coolermaster copper heatsink + 80cm fan at 2500rpm (fanmate)
    80mm case fan medium (fanmate)
    Enermax whisper PSU fan quite low.

Min: 49/32 (cpu/mb degrees C)
    Max: 51/33
    Avg: 50/32

Just had machine on for an hour of so, did a 1.7GB backup to DVD and burnt a full CD backup, not much cpu strees I know!

Was about 3-4C lower at 133/2GHz standard Voltage.
    MPEG munching goes to about 54C I think, still tuning performance vs heat!

regards,
    Rob.

9. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,467
    My CPU temp is approx 64C under load and the system temp about 40C. Think they're on the high side and I'd like to get them down. This is a P4 2.4Ghz running with an FSB of 144 instead of 133 (think that means it's running at 2.6Ghz?). Reckon some thermal paste will get it down a bit as I ran out the last time I fitted the heatsink!

Cheers,
    Andy.