• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

System suggestions to drive AE 109's (£500)

RichardZE2

Hi,
Havent been following the audio world much lately so am after any suggestions for a system or separates to drive a pair of Acoustic Energy AE109's (spec below) in a 35m2 room. That may sound big but its L shaped and they will be in the L, so I'm not expecting the whole room to be covered.

To give an idea of what I like they were previously coupled with an Arcam Alpha 9 & Marantz KIS 63 mk3 which I loved the sound of, a decent bass is important to me too. (The separates are in the kitchen with a pair of Dynaudio shelf speakers - the floorstanders have been stored until the kids reached a trustworthy size)

Would like a tuner, DAB not essential, included if anyone has suggestions for systems. If suggesting separates just an amp and CD for £500, will get tuner later (Dont need SACD - just plain CDs). New is ok but second hand bargain ideas preferred.

Look forward to getting some help :)

Edit: I'm a plane journey from the nearest shops (google the postcode), before anyone comes with suggestions to go and listen for myself ;)

Speaker Spec
HF Unit-25mm soft fabric dome, ferrofluid cooled and damped, magnetically shielded
MF/LF Units-90mm plymer-pulp diaphragm cones with 32mm high power voice coils, magnetically shielded
Crossover-3 way, 8 element 12dB per octave slope at 300Hz and 3kHz
Power handling-150 watts max
Overall frequency response-35Hz-22kHz
Frequency response +/-3 dB-55Hz-18kHz
Sensitivity 90dB/1w/1m
Impedance-typically 6 ohms

Last edited:

RichardZE2

Maybe my question was a bit vague - How about an Arcam Solo with these, I know I'd probably have to go beyond 500 for a second hand one, but it does look good on paper

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom