System Restore Issues / Virus Definitions unable to be updated

limeyboy

Standard Member
Reaction score
Help!

I think I may have picked up one of these horrible viruses around mid December. I can no longer run virus updates in Norton 2006 and my PC will not let me restore the system back to any date whatsoever. At one point it actually looked like it was running a restore but it did not make any changes to the system in the end and it could not be completed. It also tries to install word whenever I start up when word is already installed.

Can anyone help, I've been thinking of running a sustem restore in safe mode but if anyone has any suggestions, they'd be very welcome, it all began around December 10th 2008.

Thanks in advance

Limeyboy

About last december there were a couple of very nasty infections around , mostly variations on the patcher s virus and smitfraud malware. These will load up even in safe mode and are very difficult to get rid off.

I found that this works well though ...

Avira Antivirus Solution - Download AntiVir Removal Tool

Its a standalone tool so it wont cause any conflicts with installed virus software and virus and malware definitions are updated every day.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your suggestions, sadly nothing has resolved my issues. Neither AVG or any of these other fix its would fully install, probably due to the virus, I think I just might take it to a PC doctor. If you have any other ideas then they would of course be very welcome!

Thanks again

Limeyboy

Hi

What I do about once a year is reformat the drive and re-install Windows from fresh. Cleans out all the rubbish Windows gathers, but it also clears out any nasty stuff on the system.

Don't forget to do a backup of your personal data should you do the above!

Alan

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom