1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

system rebooting problem

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by chris thomas, Jan 11, 2003.

1. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi guys, help needed,, just updated my system ready to go the htpc root but i,m havin a bit of a prob,,
    system msi k7n420 pro n-force board
    athlon xp2000
    radeon 9700 graphics and 640 meg ddr pc2100, 2x256 + 1x128 strip,,os is xp professional.
    When i try and run 3d mark 2001se about 5-10 seconds in it stops ang goes back to the desktop, also when surfing occasionally i get a explorer error message come up and the system reboots itself, i hav a d bracket fitted and the 4 leds are on green which says cpu damaged or incorrectly fitted but i,ve ran burn in on si-soft sandra and everything cpu wise seems fine,,any help appreciated,cheers in advance. ;)

2. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Was xp a clean install? If it was then the next thing to suspect is the ram, try it with just one of the sticks of 256 and see what happens.

3. chris thomas

chris thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanx john,,done a clean install but was no go so then tried the memory and bingo, my fault, i,d got 2 strips of 256 and 1x 128, took the 128 out and everything is well, 3dmark 2001 se, score 11,453 :D so thanx again john ;)

4. JohnS

JohnS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Excellent,

512mb is plaenty for a HTPC anyway,