System overhaul advice needed (here we go again)

Smurfin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here we go again:clap: In 4 weeks time I'll be moving again, back to the parents would you believe :suicide: - in order to build up the big house deposit that I need and have singularly avoided saving for over the last few years:rolleyes: Well it's time to get responsible, and that means changing my setup so that it will fit in a "multi-purpose" room.

The aim is: to make my system more compact, more aesthetically pleasing with the eventual purpose of being my "living room" setup. So whilst making it all "smaller"...I still want impact and quality.

Currently it's as follows:

Sanyo PLV-Z1 projector
Philips 963a DVD player
Pioneer VSX-D2011 receiver
Bluesky 6.5 actives x 5
SVS PB-2 Plus sub
Creek OBH-11 headphone amp
Sennheiser HD600 cans
Cables by Mark Grant

Overall I'm happy with it, but the trouble is....it just ain't gonna fit, and it's not necessarily suited to my "final" vision of a living room.

First things first, the projector is going (will devalue too much boxed up) and also the Blueskies are taking a bow. As much as I like these speakers, I would only really want them to feature in a dedicated room, and by the time I get round to buying in 12 months time, the chances are an AV room will be low down on the priority list: which means they could end up being boxed up for 2 years in total (which is a waste also).

First purchase needs to be a TV, and I'm looking at the Toshiba 51WH36P. Yes it's a monster, but I'm used to a 7.5' screen and this looks like great value (possibly the 42" for a cheaper option but not entirely sure yet).

The sources feeding the system will be the trusty Pioneer VSX-D2011 receiver (which still doesn't fail to amaze me with its processing capabilities) and I'm about to swing for an Arcam DV89+ - that creative audio deal is too good to miss!).

The SVS I'll keep (can't bear to part with it!) and in my new viewing room I can JUST about fit the sub and the TV along one wall (inconveniently it's the wall where the door to the room is). But here's my first problem: I need a compact set of speakers but which retain a good degree of quality.

My price range is around the £800 mark, and I'll be looking to get a set of speakers which are wall mountable or can stand on the base that I'm mounting the RP TV on - (Ikea Oppli probably).

First point to note is that if going down the wall-mountable route I might have to mount them just above the TV as to the immediate right of the TV will be the door ( :mad: this means the speakers will be too high), so speakers on small desktop stands might be a better solution.

The second point to note is because of this they need to be really small - there's just not enough room for anything like standmounts:(

I have no idea of the quality of what's out there, and it will be near impossible to have meaningful demos of them (different dealers, electronics, rooms and different days etc), which means I'll likely be buying blind.

So what do people suggest?

I've listed a few ideas below, but aren't quite sure on a number of prices:

Anthony Gallos - D'ivas/Micros/dues - possibly second hand?

B+W VM1s - no idea how these perform?

KEF 5005s - 5 of them cost £750, and they would be ideal for sitting on the desktop stands; again, no idea how they perform though.

Velodyne Deco sats - 5 of them cost £250, so relatively cheap but as I'm now thinking of this being the "eventual" living room setup I'm not overkeen on their looks. Also no idea how they perform against the others.

KEF 2005 - really don't like the look of these.

The final idea that's been mooted is a set of 3 x M&K K5s for the front, and a pair of K4s for the rears - might a bit too big and will cause problems for mounting, but I can get them brand new for £500.

In terms of sound quality no doubt I'll be compromising on what I'm used to, but I won't be pushing the kind of SPL's that I like (
:censored: ) .

So how does the overall setup sound to people, and what speaker suggestions have people got? Help is - as always - appreciated.

cheers
Matt

PS Sorry for the rambling post, I know it covers more than just speakers but wasn't quite sure where to post it!

The sub and the TV along one wall? Are you not going to have problems from the magnets in the sub?

I'm not sure what to suggest speaker wise, your Blue Skys are pretty small as they are. Having said that, have you considered these?

Originally posted by Daneel
The sub and the TV along one wall? Are you not going to have problems from the magnets in the sub?

I don't think so, not with a rear projection TV.

I'd not thought of the cubs, I'm new to this "tiny" speaker malarky:rolleyes: :) Guess it's another one to add to the list...

Also just looked at the Monitor Audio Radius range...now I like the look of those...

Interesting short list of speakers you have picked but I doubt whether many people have heard all of them and quite obviously they are all a step down on what you already have.

At least you have a quality subwoofer so you won't have to compromise in that direction.

The JM labs Sib & Cub are very popular but aren't as small as the others but the outstanding prospect on your list are the M&K K speakers which are probably head and shoulders ahead of the others in the quality stakes and at the price that you have been quoted are the bargain of the decade.

I agree with Ian - those M&K's are probably the best on you list (not heard the K5's though) and the price is amazing.

If you can accomodate them go for it.

Originally posted by rags
I agree with Ian - those M&K's are probably the best on you list (not heard the K5's though) and the price is amazing.

If you can accomodate them go for it.

I think I need to go and check the room again, and measure everything up. Might be more worthwhile looking at a 42" TV which would undoubtedly allow me to position speakers either side of the TV...

It's about 12' x 11' (I think), trouble is I'm restricted because of where the window is (which is large), the door and a huge set of built in wardrobes...not an easy room to work with.

I've just checked and without a doubt, the 42" set will be much better, allowing me to fix speakers to the wall either side of it. Maybe my options are slightly wider than I thought before....

The K5s do sound an interesting proposition...

I saw the latest Samsung 43" LCD projection at Comet a few weeks ago, great picture and looks expensive too, they had it at £2000.
It also had a future as it was XGA resolution for HDTV and also had a DVI-D input, handy for the new Arcam player perhaps.

Right, just spent the last hour in technosounds, having a demo of the Kef 5005s and the MK K5s, K7s and K4s.

Although they weren't particularly organised :)rolleyes:) it did give me a chance to have a listen on similar equipment: Pioneer AX5i and Arcam DV89+ DVD player.

First up I heard the KEFs. Aesthetically they are almost perfect for what I want/need, but I thought they sounded terrible. They were very "dull" sounding, which surprised me; high frequencies seemed flat, and the midrange was frankly weak. In short there was no "sparkle" about them.

In a way it was expected, how could I not be disappointed given what I'm used to? I held out a little more hope for the M&Ks...

It came as no surprise that these trounced the KEFs and then some. Much more detail and a "fuller" sound: due to what they had in the shop, we used K4s on the rears, K5s for L and R, and a K7 for the centre.

I was really quite pleased with the K series; though not as good as I remember my S85s sounding, the speakers still had that trademark M&K sound and the AX5 drove them fine, even at quite high outputs. And the really pleasing thing was just how small they were - almost no bigger than the KEF 5005s, these could well be an option if space permits me to mount these on the wall (and I'd definately go for the K7s across the entire front).

So currently I'm leaning towards the M&Ks, though I'm going to try and get a demo of the Monitor Audio radius range. Anyone have any ideas on how these compare?

Surprising about the Kefs. Not so surprising about you liking the M&K's. Those are the type of speakers that you can keep for a while without feeling the need to upgrade. Have you thought about K7's for the fronts ?

Definately either K7s or K17s; although larger than the K5s (obviously), they are the same width which is the most important thing.

Does anyone know the main difference between the K-17 and the K7s? I believe the K-17 has a different tweeter...it is the one I'm used to in all the MK speakers I've had before? (i.e in all of the Pro range, the S85's, the SS-150s etc) Anyone know?

Matt,
Give Craig Sowerby (Forum Member) a shout regarding the K17's he will know the ins and outs of them, is an M&K dealer.

I think Matt has already decided on something even better than these! :D

ad

You have a funny meaning of the word Downgrade;)

he does the sort of downgrading most of us dream of :D

ad

Are we all talking in code here ?

So whats he getting ?

Wait and see:)

Thing is, once you get used to a certain quality...it's difficult going back....;)

Originally posted by Smurfin
Wait and see:)

Thing is, once you get used to a certain quality...it's difficult going back....;)
I'm fully aware of this and am very careful because of it! I won't go anywhere near a hifi shop or anyone else with a better setup than me. AFAIC my kit is the best there is :)

Although I said it in jest...it is true to an extent, especially - as I've found - with speakers.

Though the most painless transition was moving from a high-end processor/mid-range power amp down to a midrange integrated. Though I miss my MC-1, I don't miss it that much.

Originally posted by eviljohn2
I'm fully aware of this and am very careful because of it! I won't go anywhere near a hifi shop or anyone else with a better setup than me. AFAIC my kit is the best there is :)

I'm the same.... that said, the only other stuff I could really see would be super high end (i.e. £50k stuff.....), so a tad beyond me worrying about!

ad

Are you going to be advertizing your PLV-Z1 again soon, Matt?
Saw you were originally after a trade.
I am trying to persuade Mrs Stella to let me get a pj (although she seems dead against it at the mo) and if I come across one cheap enough I may have to chance the divorce and go for it!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom