System only quiet after cpu hits 57degrees

Discussion in 'Computer Components' started by Jon_P, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Jon_P

Jon_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    I've got a bit of an odd problem with my system. i bought an Akasa Revo cooler which is really nice and quiet but my PSU/System isn't quiet at all unless i give the processor somethign to think about and max it to 100% to bring the temperature up. At that point the CPU temp rises to about 57 degrees and the coolers fans kick in at 100%. At which point the other fans in the system (that aren't monitored!) then stop working.

The board is an Abit NFM2 nView, proc is an Athlon X2 6400+ dual core.
    The case is made by Antec, something like a 450W PSU. I can't spot any wires that i should plug in to enable monitoring of other fans

I'm guessing i've missed something quite obvious as i've never had a system that gets quieter when it gets hotter!

Any suggestions

2. Paul Shirley

Paul Shirley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +174
    If the fans are connected to the mboard with 3 or 4 pin headers and the fans have speed sensors you just need to install monitoring software, the driver disk usually contains a utility or you can find free ones online - I'm using Speedfan. You should also see them in the BIOS PC Health menu.

The fans shutting down does seem very unusual though, I'd suspect the PSU is being pushed too hard, however it should shut down completely not kill the fans. It sounds like your BIOS is controlling the CPU fan speed correctly but it won't control auxiliary fans, just the CPU and chipset ones. They should run full speed continuously unless you've installed a tool to control them.

3. CP-PC

CP-PC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    yeah i would start with the psu aswell. what other componets do you have in your system? do all the other fans stop completely or just slow down?? how are the fans conected? can you open the case and load your pc and see what fans slow down?? what make are the fans that are slowing down? i have had some cheepo fans that dont like to run below 11volts. so if your psu is getting overloaded then this might be the problem however it would be good to get some more specs.
    oh and also does your pc overheat or shut down when it gets to hot? or does your pc stay on when your fans shut down?? have you got a system or case temperature reading for us?

4. Jon_P

Jon_P

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +11
    The PC never actually shut down from overheating, it just howled away until CPU activity caused the CPU to heat up enough for some cooling trigger somewhere to kick in!!
    I played around with various settings and never did get to the bottom of it but suspect it was something to do with the abit uGuru monitoring software I installed the 64Bit version XP Pro on 2 days ago as part of my "tidy up" move from small PATA to big SATA (i was bored with 32bit anyway!!). Popped the bare minimum amount of software on there (i.e. the OS, AVG and a new reader client).
    The PC has been pretty quiet, no howling of fans. I noticed an AMD CPU Feature was available in Windows Update so installed that too, though I might have a look at some kind of 64Bit monitoring utility that will tell me whats happening with temperatures in the box

Cheers for all the pointers on the hardware front, i think this has to be put down to a software config issue :D

5. CP-PC

CP-PC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +144
    so all seems to be ok now then? thats a weird one. it may have been due to a loose wire or something and your "tidy up" moved it back into place. usualy you have to have a specific program in order to change fan speeds from within windows. but who knows lol unless you get the problem back again then you can pinpoint it