System of A down- Toxicity

karkus30

Banned
Now I like this. Ive hovered around its jewel case in countless bargain bins, picked it up and put it back down again.

Until a mate sent me one of them new fangled MP3 files of 'chopsuey'.

Its a blend of fast paced, hard edged rock, edgy guitars, stop start dynamics, heavy riffing and machine gun drumming all mixed with lyrics that speak of social injustice etc and are delivered in a similar style to Rage against the machine. Now, that would have made a good album, but, the thing that makes it better is the way they have included a russian/balkan overtone to the whole album, you can hear an electric balilika in there .

This is not a new album, its had dozens of rave reviews, most of which I chose to ignore, but in this case its justified. This album is probably just as important a RATMs debut.

If you like Early Metallica, Mars Volta, RATM, Audioslave, Killing Joke then this should appeal. Its probably not for fans of Norah Jones, but who knows.

9/10

overkill

Distinguished Member
You only just heard them kark!! :D Toxicity the track was a fave of mine last year...................

karkus30

Banned
Originally posted by overkill
You only just heard them kark!! :D Toxicity the track was a fave of mine last year...................

thats not my fault !:nono:

Last year, was last year, now that I've heard them, they can be popular. ;)

Anyway I was busy lusting after the White Stripes album and Edna........

overkill

Distinguished Member

MuFu

Novice Member
Good album. :smashin:

I love the fact that SOAD could probably write a killer rock ballad "for the masses" if they wanted to, but they've haven't because it'd mean leaving out all the shouty bits. :D

Floodedstatue

Novice Member
Toxicity is the nuts! I love it's in-your-face attitude, but I think the best bits are the subtle mellow sections in the middle of songs. Aerials is class!

adox

Banned
its a great album.

karkus, i cant believe you only stumbled across this one recently:eek:

on a side note,my niece who is now 12 years old,and up until quite recently was a spice girls/brittany fan, rang me up and asked me to burn her a copy of toxicity:laugh: we also ordered her a copy of the new korn album for her birthday:laugh:

G

Gambit

Sometimes I wonder aboot K, I can remember 3 years ago driving round in my mates car going "pogo, pogo, pogo, BOUNCE!" :D
Toxicity is their best album, no arguments from me.

I'm glad I AM young! LOL! Toxicity is a great band. It's also kool that the band members are totally insane Armenians. Chop Suey and Toxicity are the best songs. Although I do also like Speak English Or Die! No! How do you own the world!? How do you own disorder, disorder!? Wake up! Grab a brush and put on a little make-up! Best ever!

karkus30

Banned
You know you should really grab some :

Rage against the machine -self titled first album
Alice in Chains - Dirt
Mudhoney - Superfuzz big muff
Bad Brains - I against I
Killing Joke - Killing Joke (self titled latest album).
Black Flag- Damage

I hope their good. I'm gonna sample some songs today. I also hope that they are heavy metal and/or heavy rock. That's all I'm into. Well, and Punk.

Floodedstatue

Novice Member
Rage's first album is an absolute killer! Everybody should own that album!! :smashin:

karkus30

Banned
Originally posted by i_like_it_cube
I hope their good. I'm gonna sample some songs today. I also hope that they are heavy metal and/or heavy rock. That's all I'm into. Well, and Punk.

Oh they are, give the forum some feedback on your listening results.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Woohooo !!
A new release from SOAD is on the way, has anyone any info about it ?
see here

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...

Latest News

Focal releases 1000 Series integrated speakers
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Klipsch announces ProMedia 2.1 BT speaker set
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
No Time to Die gets pushed to 8th Oct 2021
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
KEF announces KC62 subwoofer with new Uni-Core technology
  • By Andy Bassett