1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System Help

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Scalabis, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Scalabis

Scalabis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Utility: 80% Music, 20% Movies.

What do you think is the better system?

- Nad T752
    - Kef Q5
    - Kef Q9c
    - Kef Q1

or

- Nad T752
    - Sonus Faber Concertino
    - Rel Quake
    - Kef Q9c
    - Kef Q1

Thank you.

2. Hawklord

Hawklord

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +267
    Go have a listen to both set ups and make up your own mind.
    I've heard the Kef's and quite liked them but went for B&W DM602's purely because I prefered the sound better in stereo playback. I thought the Rel quake was a good little performer but if you can put up with a bigger sub I'd advise you demo a Velodyn CHT-10 - similar price/cheaper and better all round performer imo.
    I've not heard the nad but i'd say try some other makes/models of a similar budget too to see if anything sounds better to your ear.
    I usually tend to use the forums to give myself a short list of likely items and then go and audition the bits at someone like audio-t.
    I have bought some bits blind but everyone here would recomend listening before you buy.

3. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    If it's mostly music the the Kef solution is going to be great - Q5s will give more than enough bass. NAD have a good reputation for musical AV amps so if you must have one box then that may be the way to go (Arcam's AVR200 should also make it to your list) Alternatively consider a combo of AV amp & integrated amp - e.g. Pioneer 1011 & Arcam A75+.

WRT system 2 Not a lover of Rel - I think they're way too expensive but I don't know of alternatives in Portugal - I have a MJ Acoustics Reference 100 that works brillianly with my Kef Q1s.
    Mixing Sonus Faber Concertino with Q9c should be undertaken only after a demo - I have no idea how they will sound together

4. Scalabis

Scalabis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    We have MJ too, do you think MJ Pro50 is better than the Quake?

5. wilber

wilber

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +30
    When I started looking for subs, I demod a quake, a MJA Pro 50 & a B&W 675. I liked the B&W a lot but didn't like it enough to pay twice the price of the MJA. 2nd was the Pro 50 - did all I wanted and was cheap. The Rel was to be honest similar to the pro 50 but had more of a tendency to become boomy.

When the MJ A Reference 100 was launched, I had no hesitation in buying it ofver the pro 50, more powerful but only a little more expensive. I don't know if the ref 100 is available yet in mainland europe, but I'd go for that over the pro 50, although as I said the pro 50 is great value for money

6. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    I have heard both and thought that the Pro 50 was significantly better than the Quake