1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System for the future

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by Astaroth, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    I know this will be a difficult one to answer but still here goes:

Current equipment:
    CD player: some old JVC thingy
    Amp: Denon AVR-2805
    Speakers: Mission M74i, M7c2, M7ds + M5as
    Speaker Cable: QED Silver Anniversary

I am currently in a smallish flat and do not have room for a seperate stereo and home cinema set up. Shortly I hope to be moving to a larger property and will have the home cinema in one room and the stereo in another but shortly could be 6 months or 2 years and here in lies the problem.

I want to upgrade the CD player as I feel it is the weakest link in the set up and it is now starting to fail. The CD player will initially be plugged into the Denon AVR but in the future will be going through a dedicated stereo amp and speakers. My budget is arround the £600 mark and musical tastes are eclectic but tends to go towards heavy/alternative rock.

It is important that it does sound good with the AVR as it may be a year or two that I have to use this amp but more important is its future performance.

Having had a look arround I have been interested in the Cyrus CD6 (and her that must be obeyed likes the look of a complete Cyrus set up) but I dont know if this will suit the current situation.

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers

2. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    Any decent CD player is going to sound good, as will the Cyrus. However I think you will quickly notice that the Denon will then be the weak link in the chain. It's a great AV amp, but not much cop at CD reply (it's a common problem with receivers unfortunately).

If you are going to get a dedicated stereo setup in the future, the D6 is a great place to start. :)

You don't mention which DVD player you have? Have you tried it with CD's? It may serve you well enough until you move and can really demo a complete new stereo system together?

3. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +95
    Nobber22, my DVD player is a Panasonic S75 if I remember correctly - it is another part that is due for an update but the Mrs says that it looks nice and so doesnt need replacing before the CD player is - I must admitt that I have never thought to use it for CD playback (and dont use SACD/DVD-audio).

Unfortuantly it appears I may have forgotten to tell her that I was buying a new car and so need to keep her happy for now as our spare bed really isnt that comfortable.

I am aware that the AVR will never be as good as a dedicated stereo amp but as long as it is reasonable for now I can live with it until we move.

4. CJROSS

CJROSS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    If your looking for a cost effective way to upgrade your system in digital CD terms then I cant see past a quality DAC added to your existing DVD-V player, what you also gain is a device that can accept digital output from various digital devices and mediums such as :

Sky Digital TV, Freeview Digital, DAB, MD, PC usage via Soundcards or Squeezebox use, Apples Airtunes from what I have seen of it is another device that will push DACs ahead of dedicated CD players (im having stunning results with a M-Audio Transit USB 24/96 Device from my PC FWIW towards my DAC). Consider a DAC dude, I would be happier with what I could purchase for £600 DAC wise than any £600 CD player on the market, and that’s using your existing DVD-V player as a transport to boot. Glad to see you have noted the hindrance of your AV amp with CD stereo playback FWIW.