1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

'System Error' problem with HD-5

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Hrochnick, May 24, 2005.

1. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I've been very pleased with my new HD5 over the last two weeks in all respects except for one major annoyance. On 7 or 8 occasions (yep, roughly every other day) since I started using it, it has frozen - it has stopped playback suddenly and all buttons have ceased to work. In the majority of cases the screen has remained on and the only way to reset it has been to open the battery compartment. On two occasions however the HD5 has manged to reset itself displaying the message 'System Error 020'.

I have emailed Sony and just received a response advising me that "I am sorry to read of your difficulties with your new NW-HD5. As it was recently purchased I would suggest that you consider returning it to your original supplying retailer (albeit Sony Style) and request an exchange or refund as appropriate. I am sorry that we are unable to assist directly on this occasion blah blah" Not a great deal of help.

So, has anybody else experienced this problem, is it a 'feature' of the HD5, is it possibly something I'm doing wrong or do I just have a faulty unit?

I will probably initialise and re-transfer my tracks and then return the thing for an exchange (probably, I love this little baby) if that doesn't work but would like to know if anyone else has experienced this/has any thoughts before I do so.

Cheers,

Hrochnick.

2. mrtbag

mrtbag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +395
    If sony are suggesting you return it. I would say, that means it's faulty. Just return it, and save yourself the time you'll spend trying to fix something that cannot be fixed.

3. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    It definitely sounds faulty to me. I'd get an exchange, and see how that goes. I've never had any problems yet.

4. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Thanks chaps, looks like an exchange is neccessary - I've just telephoned Sony for further advice and the representitive I spoke to couldn't help further. His notes didn't specifically cover the Error 020 but a general note against system errors indicated it should be sent to a Sony service centre, or returned as it is so new. So that's what I'll do.

As a further irritation I have noticed that little cracks have appeared between the up and right, right and down and down and left buttons. Slightly annoying, but not as much as the other problem.

5. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    What sort of cracks? Those were always on mine, as far as I can remember... it's just at first I didn't notice. You can sort of see metal under them, right?

6. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Ironic. I've just had the crash followed by the "System error 020" as well.

Let's hope this is a one-off.

7. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I hope I didn't jinx you Lyris!

The cracks are lke little breaks in the metal between the arrow buttons but only on three out of four - I'm not sure when they first appeared but they were not there when I first got it. I noticed them yesterday.

8. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i think those little cracks are there on purpose.

anyway ive not had these errors and ive played the mp3 literally constantly since friday night!

9. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    I don't think so Wilto, in fact I know not. Mine were not there two weeks ago and now they are on 3 out of 4 corners - that's not a design, that just doesn't make sense.

10. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    ok, i can see little bumps in between the buttons and the metal. maybe these arent the cracks i thought you were referring to.

11. Hrochnick

Hrochnick

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Yeah I've seen those too, not sure if that's design or just poor manufacture but the cracks are on the little join between the arrow buttons surrounding the play button, each one is slightly different too. Quite poor I think.

12. Sastley

Sastley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've had my HD5 for 2 weeks and experienced the problem 2 times - one like yours and the other receiving playback but the buttons don't work.

Sony told me to take the battery out and try. This worked but annoying considering you need a pointed object to open the battery compartment. Maybe Sony should advise HD5 owners to carry a pen with them at all times!

I am going to get mine replaced and get a different unit. If the new unit have the same problem I'll request my money back as I would have lost faith in the product.

13. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    I've had mine for about 2-3 weeks now and it happened to me once on the second day. Luckily, it's not happened since.

14. wilto

wilto
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    it never happened with me and i had it for 2 weeks,

15. mikeynl

mikeynl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I bought mine last Friday and it crashed once, this Monday. The buttons didn't work, the blacklight stayed on and the music stopped. Should I bring it back straight away or should I just wait and see if it happens again?

16. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    I am amazed at how accepting people are of faults on new products.

I accept nothing.

I am already a little apprehensive about moving from the NW-HD1 to the NW-HD5H but if there is the slightest button crack / system error or whatever it goes straight back.

If everyone adopted the same policy companies would be less inclined to "cut corners" by using inferior testing procedures / materials / manufacturing techniques etc.

My advice, don't accept problems like this ....... ever.

17. mikeynl

mikeynl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I did bring it back to the shop today. They said they would look at it in the shop and probably send it to Sony. I realized though: how can I prove it's faulty? The player froze on me just once. It's very unlikely that it will freeze again in the little "testing" they do at the shop, and it might not freeze at Sony either. They will send it back and say "nothing's wrong". What to do? I don't want a faulty player back, I want a new one or a refund.

18. David Mackenzie

David Mackenzie
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,310
    Good on ya man. Someone has to take a stand. Although I'm biased because I am the same - I'm just organizing the return of a Samsung 32" LCD HDTV I Got for a bargain price. Customers deserve near-perfection.

19. KeanosMagicHat

KeanosMagicHat

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +554
    Point them to this thread to show that it's not just you that has had "system error" problems and suggest there may be a batch fault.

Refuse to accept a repaired product and demand an exchange.

20. mikeynl

mikeynl
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Problem is that they will probably say that it's not faulty at all and therefore needs no repair. They will give me the old one back.

21. joe2snj

joe2snj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I think my HD5 is going back to dixons. Im gettin "system error No 32" when trying to connect it to my pc.. It was working fine then all of a sudden then it just totally fell over. It wont charge via usb and sometimes it wont even charge via mains!!!!

I also keep getting a "repairing database" message aswell..

Anyone else getting similar issues?

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

22. BROUGHCUT

BROUGHCUT

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Froze up on me today, also had to open the battery cover to reboot. Why isn't there a soft reset on this player? It obviously could do with one.