1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System completion advice wanted

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Craig, Apr 2, 2004.

1. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have almost finshed put together a new system, but I am still pondering over my centre / rears

The system is
    Roksan Kandy DVD
    Roksan Kandy Amp
    Yamaha 640 Receiver
    Quad L11 / Dynaudio 42 fronts

What i am less clear about is the issue of centre / Rear / PSW

My original intention was to pick up an ex-dem / second hand pair of KEF eggs and use them to complete a 7.1 setup. However, having browsed the forums I am concerned that I may make a hash of this as my sofa is rather close to the rear wall and some people seem to find this a pain in the backside with the centre rear dominating proceedings.

So.....with a budget of 500 notes, and no problem buying second hand (if demo'd obvioulsy) what would be the suggestions aside from the Kef eggs?

Space is an issue, so pod-esque speakers are preferred to strapping a pair of bookshelfs to the wall

Hope someone can advise

Many thanks

2. Craig

Craig

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    What ..... no one? Oh well.

I am gonna find a dealer who can demo the Kef, Monitor Audio, and B&W set-ups

For what it's worth, having read as many other posts as i can, a further element to the question is this:

In a room wth the sofa near the rear wall is there a case for preferring 5.1 with dipole rears over 7.1 with 'egg' type speakers??

It's not my opinion - I'm just picking thoughts up from reading as many threads as I can

3. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You will get different opinions from different people but I prefer bipole speakers on the side walls and no rear where the sofa is tight against the rear wall.