1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System build advice using PW6

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs' started by boardwalk, Nov 11, 2004.

1. boardwalk

boardwalk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all,

I have now had my Panny PW6 for about 4 months and am now planning the next stage in my home cinema system build and was just hoping for any advice / pointers for the following.

The items I wish to connect to the plasma are :

NTL Cable Box - Probably moving to Sky+ within the next 12 months as moving house soon.
    PS2
    Dreamcast
    Video Recorder (Occassional use but will be redundant when all vcr tapes are moved to DVD)
    DVD Recorder (either Sony HX900 or Panny E85 - Currently swaying towards Sony)
    X-Box

In order to achieve this I was planning on getting the Yamaha DSP-AX750SE and feeding all of my relevant signals into this and then using the component output to the plasma. Currently I only have a scart card in my panny and will probably get the component/composite board just for future proofing for any other connections which may arise.

Can anyone see any potential problems with trying to do things this way or should I be thinking of doing things a different way.

Thanks in advance

Dave.

2. swarrans

swarrans
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    IF you want to switch all the signals through the amp, I'd save the cost of the extra board and use the built in VGA input on your plasma (because on the PW6 this can be used to input component signals with an appropriate component to VGA cable - available widely - I bought mine at Av-Sales).
    This of course assumes that you don't need the VGA input for something else.
    Also bear in mind that all your other input devices will need to be either component, composite or S video (your amp can't accept RGB). If you want a device outputting RGB to switch through your amp you will need a RGB to component converter (JS Technology).

Obviously, this is not the only way of doing it, but I'm trying to answer your question about switching through your amp specifically..

Simon

3. boardwalk

boardwalk
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Simon,

thanks for the info,

should have added will probably use the VGA for a multimedia pc eventually but this will not be for a few months yet.

I was planning on taking 1 rgb feed out of the ntl box into the dvd recoder which will then output a component signal to the amp and the Tv feed from the ntl box would be handled by using a QED Scart to S-Video/Audio cable which would then be fed into the amp and then out to the panny component board.

The PS2/Dreamcast/Xbox would all be handled by getting all signals into amp thru s-video cables.

I like the idea of taking the Amp component output and converting to VGA via use of a cable as this would bring the cost down a bit so may try using this and skipping the purchase of the new panny input board for now.

Thanks again.

Dave.