system audio or bowers and wilkins

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Speakers' started by PATERLILU, Dec 6, 2018 at 10:17 AM.

1. PATERLILU

PATERLILU
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all, I am about to buy new speakers. I have narrowd it down to System audio SA50 or 1280 or BW 603 series 2. I am filling a big space of approx. 50 feet x 20feet x 16 feet high, so I need to fill the space but I don't want loudness...if that make s any sense? Any help greatly appreciated. Pat

2. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +610
    In a large space, its more about the quality of the electronics to refine the audio, if it does not have the ability to drive the speakers with ease, then you will have a loud and noisy audio is that size of room.

What kind of budget to you have and is this for listening room or something commercial?

3. PATERLILU

PATERLILU
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I have monitor audio BR 5 speakers (15 years old) and a NAD 326bee amp. I want to get the new speakers for xmas then I will upgrade my amp next year. Pat

4. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,332
    If you require even coverage across a large space you require multiple Loudspeakers otherwise you always end up with loud and quiet areas within the space.

Joe

5. ShanePJ

ShanePJ
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Unit 5 The Sidings, Bacup, Lancs, OL13 9RW
    Ratings:
    +610
    How have you found the system? I'm guessing you have enjoyed it otherwise you would not have kept it for so long.

Do you find that your speakers sound noisy/loud?

As you already own a pair of Monitor Audio's the logical step would be for you look at the Silver series (200's in particular) as they have a familiar sound yet there are improvements everywhere

With you already owning a pair of bronze, I feel that you must have an area in that room which is designated to listening to music or you are more of an easy listener with the volume just above what I would call background music, so about 30%-40% (15%-20% in a normal sized room) on the volume scale on the amp. I'm sure when you stretch your system today, that you hear it becoming loud and again this is more to do with your room being large and the amp not having enough ability to fill the room once you take it passed it comfortable volume levels.

As for an amp, so long as you are listening at the right levels, as you have probably had to learn with your current system, these amps are certainly ones you should have on your list

Arcam HDA SA20
    Audiolab 8300A
    Denon PMA-1600NE
    Musical Fidelity M3Si
    Roskan Kandy K3
    Technics SU-C700EG
    Yamaha A-S2100

These are a bit of a mix of price point ranging from £1k to around £1.5k. So it really depends upon your budget.

Logicallly as you already own a NAD, the next step should be the Arcam, Audiolab or the Musical Fidelity as they will give you more that what of what you are used to hearing and combining them with the Monitor Audio Silver 200 speakers should give you a system which should keep you happy for many more years like your last system.

Best thing now it to go an audition them with your own music

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018 at 12:56 PM
  6. PATERLILU

PATERLILU
    Novice Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, I am happy with the system I have ... BR 5 with NAD amp but I have a bit of renewed interest at the moment (as a hobby) . I reckon if I upgrade my speakers now and my amp later I should end up with a better sounding system. I was taking to a chap in Clooney audio who has the BW 603 series 2 (1300 new) or the System audios (895 second hand) I was only looking for advise on which would sound better with more bass or should I get a sub woofer as well. Pat