System - any good for a bedroom? Possible upgrade reccommendations...

Discussion in 'Hi-Fi Stereo Systems & Separates' started by bjp1979, Oct 3, 2004.

1. bjp1979

bjp1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I currently have my kit set up in my bedroom at my parents house (although an imminent move to the bachelor pad is on the cards)

Any comments on how to improve my humble setup would be appreciated:

Toshiba 330E dvd player, Protech gold scart RGB to Sony Wega 28" tv (cant remember the model, but its the bog standard 50 hz flatscreen that's been around for a few years now) connected with QED Qunex OT toshlink to my AV Amp for audio.

CD player Cambridge 540 Azur, with QED Qunex 3 interconnect.

Turntable - Bush Mtt2 (oh dear!)

Yamaha HTR 5550 AV receiver.

Speakers: Front - Wharfedale Diamond 8.3 (biwired), Wharfedale Pacific Evolution Centre speaker.

Rears: I'm still using the satellite speakers from my old Videologic Digitheatre DTS unfortunately - any suggestions for upgrades? Stick with Wharefedales - Wharfedale DFS-18s?

Subwoofer: KEF2500, connected with QED P-SW Sub Interconnect.

All wired with: QED original speaker wire (centre speaker has QED original dedicated biwire, and front L&R speakers have two lots of the single wire for the biwire connection - but I'm wiring two lots of + and - into only one set of teminals on my amp)

Any good? I think I need some new rear speakers desperately! Also, I'm into my house music, and need to upgrade to a decent turntable to give me that natural sound - was thinking of a Project Debut III with the phono amp built in? Or is it worth shelling out more of a higher spec Project, or a Rega? (I always regret not spending more!)

Thanks!

Ben

2. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    I think you have more or less answered your own question

Agree with adding new rears , best to match them all up so the Wharfdales would be a good upgrade. Not sure of budget but you might consider moving the 8.3's to the rear and improving the front pair.

Rega Planar 2 or 3 with a decent cart and offboard phono stage. Pushing the boat out a bit Michell Technodec or Roksan Radius. Have a look here for some ideas. http://www.walrus.co.uk/

I'm not sure if your Yamaha has preouts, if it does I would personally go to an integrated amp, possibly with phono stage built in - you can always add an offboard one later as a further upgrade. Alternatively an upgrade to a better AV amp might be worth considering.

HTH

Gus

3. bjp1979

bjp1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Thanks for the info.

Well, its not a big room really. So for the rears, it had to be wall mounted speakers - I ordered Wharfedale Pacific DFS 18's tonight, from HiFi Bitz (think I have gotten a bargain, as I paid £80 and the RRP is £200). I thought I'd stick with Wharfedale to get a similar sound.

I will be upgrading my front speakers at some stage - any recommendations there - I like a punchy bass... I think my budget would go to around £350 there.

Out of interest - how would I use floorstanders as rear speakers - I thought they were supposed to be about 1.8m above the listening position? Wouldn't the Bi polar speakers I have just ordered be better suited to the task?

I listen to music as much as I watch movies, so an integrated amp would be good (I have a Cambridge A300 boxed up in the loft, but that's a bit basic) but I'm afraid its a bit impractical in the size of my room to have an AV and an Integrated amp (and wouldn't that mean another set of front speakers?)

Ideally I'd want a new amp that handles the job of music and movies with equal aplomb - I was thinking the Marantz 5400 OSE, which seems a bargain for around £250 from that Tyson fella in the sponsors link. A good choice?

There seems to be so much choice in the mid-range AV amp market. If its any use, my musical taste is funk/r&b, dance, soul, and I like a "vinyl" kinda sound in my music, and punchy bass.

I think for the turntable I'll most likely go for a Rega Planar - but I'd seriously considering a Project 1 Xpression - has anyone used one of these, and if so what did you think?

Thanks again

Ben

4. 337GUS

337GUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +43
    B & W 6 series spring to mind, second hand 603 S2 or S3 would be my choice. I owned the S2 for a while and I think they would suit.

You can use any type for rears / sides you want. There are a few generally accepted premises.

5 identical full range speakers is ideal for sacd and dvda and some people prefer dd and dts movies like this as well.

dipoles are better for side walls and are useful for dispersing the sound field. They are normally situated directly to the left and right of the main seating position slightly above head height.

bipoles are better than full range at dispersing the sound and are useful if you have to sit near the rear wall where the placement of free standing speakers is impeded.

You can marry an AV and HiFi system together quite easily IF you buy an AV amp with preouts and an Integrated with an AV mode. It is still possible even without these by changing the volume contol on the amp to a predetermined calibration position and a speaker switch box. This has been covered loads so do a search on the forum about adding a amp to a receiver.

No experience with Marantz AV - prefer the AV / Integrated approach to improving HiFi. Nad/Arcam are also mentioned as being good at both.

HTH

Gus

5. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    Get project Debut deck to get the most out of your Vynl................ look for an AV amp with preouts that you can send the L+R surround channels to the stereo amps processor input allowing for top quality AV and Stereo performance.

6. bjp1979

bjp1979

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok... Sounds good. Well, I have put up an ady for anyone selling on the forums, but replies as yet. Any suggestions as to where I can get a good price on some new ones?

There seems to be a few different models in the 6 range - and they get mixed comments... Any ones in particular?

What main differences will I notice over my Wharfelade Diamond 8.3's? Bearing in mind I'm using it in a medium sized bedroom, I don't want anything overly powerful.

Well, as I type, a set of Wharfedale DFS-18 Rear Speakers bipoles are on their way from hifibitz... The thing is, space is an issue in my room - the current rears I have (bog standard Videologics) are on the wall behind my sofa bed (my viewing platform is also where I sleep!) so I wanted a direct replacement, and at £80 (down from £200), I couldn't say no to the Wharfedales, which seem the ideal piece of kit, to complement my existing Wharfedale speakers.

Although the dipoles sound like they might be better, I'm not sure I would have heard the benefit in a room the size of mine, and due to fixtures/wardrobes etc, I would not have been able to align each speaker on the side walls accurately.

Oh dear... Although I'd probably get there eventually, I have visions of me up to my ears in cables, and experiencing the odd monet of frustration if all does not go according to plan during set-up. Like the idea - I'll probably go there soon... Which opens a whole new can of worms about how to get a good match with AV/Integrated amps...

Yeah, I read that about NAD - I'll certainly be looking at their kit - can't afford Arcam at this stage in my life though!

7. Sam41

Sam41

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi, you wouldn't want to sell that Bush MTT2 to me would you?

Regards
    Sam