1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System and TDL studio 10

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by scotsnl, Jan 11, 2005.

1. scotsnl

scotsnl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All thanks for taking the time to read this posting. As a relative newbie into the hifi and home cinema world i decided to put a system together as follows

marantz sr4000
    tdl studio 10
    glae 3010 rears
    m s 304 centre

any comments on the above system gladly welcomed, money is spent now after a very frustrated search for equipment. I found it so hard to find classy looking surround set for a budget which by the by was increased unwillingly by 200 quid.
    My interest in this section is the TDL studio 10's i have searched high and low for information on these speakers i have googled it to death, most of the information i have found is small postings on fourums like this.

So any users here use them ? know of them ? know of links to info on them, how old are they , i know the company closed a number of years ago they are now sold by richersounds.

any info welcomed thanks

mal

2. Kazman

Kazman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +136
    They are not only sold by Richersounds, they are owned by them too. The current TDL's are not really worth the money, any chance of taking them back? I'd say the Mordaunt Short MS914's are a MUCH better buy, and probably cheaper than the TDL 10's.

RS havent really been able to sell many of them in my opinion, and I think I read a review in what hi fi that wasn't very favourable (although it wasn't the 10).

3. Brimstone

Brimstone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Lo,
    The original TDL speakers were all transmission line designs for extra deep bass, and they only started making more affordable (but still not cheap) speakers towards the end of the companies trading era (it was a small company and two important or founder members i died if i remember correctly). Unfortunately the TDL kit that has become available over the last few years is TDL in name only (so it was R S that bought the name?) and seems to bear no relation to the reputation or design of the old companies models (now do smaller bookshelf speakers, ported boxes and passive radiator designs - isn't the studio 10 a passive rad floorstander?). A lot of people have slated the new TDL stuff, and although it is of different design (and shouldn't be connected to or confused with the older kit), and cheaper build/cost, it doesn't mean they are bad speakers. As for the quality of sound of the new stuff, since i haven't heard any of them myself thats up to the owners to decide for themselves. I don't think you'll find much on the web for the new speakers (but there is a wealth of links for the old TDL speakers), implying that there's not a great deal of them being sold (and its unusual for there to be no manufacturers official website). There are a few people on these forums that either have them or have tried them - with varying degrees of happiness - you could try a search and PM some of the folks and see what their final thoughts are? People keep stating "try before you buy" in hi-fi/AV circles, recommending to always audition kit before you splash out with your hard earned - but its always tempting when you see the big sexy drivers and start thinking about how they'd look in your listening room isn't it... I hope you've had a chance to try out some of the other options in your price range and found something you're happy with. The Marantz SR range are good competant amps (i've got a 5400 myself), so its hard to go wrong with them. As for the Gale and MS rears and centre - i've never tried any of the Gale ranges but they seem good value, the MS speakers are praised pretty much everywhere for what they acheive for the money - and the 914's mentioned in the previous post would go better with the MS centre than the studio 10's and have again been repeatedly well received by the hifi press and buyers/users. Go and have a listen and see what you like. Hope you get that system and sound you're looking for, good luck, Brimstone.

4. DFL

DFL
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Scott, What do you think of the Studio 10's. I noticed this review by Paul Moody, I wonder if he works for Richer Sounds though:

... The honest character is similar to the TDL speakers of ... more than that. £.
    499.95. Flawless floorstanders! Reviewed by Paul Moody. STUDIO 10.
    ws4.richersounds.com/static/TDL%20Studio%2010.pdf

Anyway, I have just put downa deposit to buy these bad boys. They sounded great in the store. I thought they had good presence and a tight bass with good vocal ability. However, I did not really get to hammer them out. The in store stuff was a Pioneer DV575 and Marantz SR4300.

I have a SR4300, just bought Marantz DV4400 and use an old pair of JPW AP2's. I intend to use these as my surround speakers, and later in the summer, will buy a centre speaker and sub-woof. However, with the bass from these 10's. I know my stereo enjoyment with CD's will be fine. I have a small aparmtent and I have yet to try them out there. Would love to know what you think of them, the price certainly seems right.

In fact, now that they are 300 euro (down from 800 new) i think they are value for money floor standers and these go a long way to save the pocket. Afterall with book shelf speakers we'd need good stands as well.

Also did you bi wire?

Darren