• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.
  • Black Friday Deals
    Visit our Black Friday page for our frequently updated, hand picked deals on TVs and other tech.

System advice please

Eddie B

Standard Member
Hello everyone, I'm looking to build a system and was hoping for some seasoned advice from you guys.
The system I am looking to build is:
Primare CD31
Primare Pre30
Primare A32
Monitor Audio PL100
I listen to a large variety of music, jazz, electronic and rock mostly. People have told me the Primare stuff is a little laid back, but then the speakers are a little on the bright side so i thought it would balance out quite nicely. Has anyone heard this combo?? any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

phil t

Has anyone heard this combo?? any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Decide on a budget for your system, take some of your cds, and visit a good hifi shop. Most people on here will recommend kit that they themselves own, but that isn’t necessarily what’s right for you.

:)

Member 116841

Distinguished Member
If you've not heard anything for yourself yet, it's a little early to be deciding what to settle on at this this stage. As Eddie states, grab some of your favourite CD's and get a listen to a few different systems, even the same systems at different dealers. There's plenty of choice out there other than the Primare, so get comparing! Speakers of this calibre need very careful matching with amplification, and you'll find they'll sing with some amps more so than others.

I can tell you now the system your looking at getting will sound amazing if set up properly. The primare equipment looks and sounds amazing and built to last a lifetime. The Monitor Audio PL100's are superb little bookshelf speakers with probably the best imaging I've heard. They are however very bass light and as you say quite bright and may not really meet your needs for jazz/rock music where subwoofer or floorstanders maybe a better option instead.

Eddie B

Standard Member
Hey, thank you for your replies.. I had the chance to listen to some GS20's with the Primare i30 and A30.2 with a Musical Fidelity cd player, it sounded very nice indeed!
Does anyone know if the A30.2 amp would drive the PL100's ok? my friend said the ribbon tweeters draw a lot of current?? I only ask because its considerably cheaper than the A32:)
I've given some other stuff a listen like Arcam which sounded good but I have to say the build quality of them was not to the same standard as the Primare

phil t

Hey, thank you for your replies.. I had the chance to listen to some GS20's with the Primare i30 and A30.2 with a Musical Fidelity cd player, it sounded very nice indeed!
Does anyone know if the A30.2 amp would drive the PL100's ok? my friend said the ribbon tweeters draw a lot of current?? I only ask because its considerably cheaper than the A32:)

It is, of course, only my opinion but the GS20s will sound better still with some MF amplification.

I've given some other stuff a listen like Arcam which sounded good but I have to say the build quality of them was not to the same standard as the Primare

We have a saying, “Operational, not decorational”. I’d rather the money was spent on making it sound better.

CJROSS

Eddie, what an excellent set of components you are considering there, don’t see the A32 mentioned much here an amp I aspire to owning (with a Pre 30 driving it), To my mind the A30.2 @ 120W has plenty of grunt to drive many speakers – it has 20W more than my A30.1 a gutsy amp itself, the Pre 30 is another stunning bit of kit (with balanced XLRs in, and 1 XLR preout in additon to 2 RCA preouts). Much attention paid to the balanced architecture and the build is not out of place on hifi kit costing twice Primares rrp – I think Primare gear is actually a bargain in high end audio circles TBPH. Which brings me to your speakers, I’d not use MA speakers with them, many Primare users start out with MAs (a favourite pairing from 7oaks when the Primare combos eminate), then move onto something else – do a search on the forum. If it were me, I’d suggest looking at Sonus Faber Domus Range, Diapason or even the Dynaudio Focus range (the classic Dynaudio Contour series work very well with Primare), maybe even the Neat marque. There are loads of different speakers that would gel with them, but you’ll need to hear them TBH. BTW do a search above for Primare in this forum, some excellent threads that may interest you.

We have a saying, “Operational, not decorational”. I’d rather the money was spent on making it sound better.:)

Phil, yes I'd agree with that above to a point ….. until you see what is inside a A5 CDP (HFN this month :smashin:) or the back panel of the A5 amplifier and glance at the £2 binding posts. As good as the MF stuff sounds, it has a fancy fascia plate (smoke n mirrors) and cheap users parts (4mm binding posts) compared to other marques IMHO. Oh and every subsequent range of MF kit blows away the last if you listen to the marketing blurb. :D Also at this price manufacturers to me can easily include balanced architecture like XLRs, if Cambrdige Audio can do it with the excellent 840 Azur range, then why not on £1000+ items of kit ? A small point where Arcam/MF offer less connection wise IMHO.

Mark.Yudkin

Distinguished Member
Ribbon tweeters don't draw a lot of current per se. Rather they have typically have low impedance. This can cause issues with amplifiers that are not stable or which don't like low impedances. In general though, since tweeters don't draw much power to start with, it isn't usually an issue. The effects of inadequate amplification are generally audible as poor treble.

Things look rather different when you start to use ribbon, radia planar or electrostatic technologies into the mid range or lower (as I do). The advantage is the significantly better detail and imaging that such technologies yield, the disadvantage is that the speaker and power amplification prices go up.

phil t

If it were me, I’d suggest looking at Sonus Faber Domus Range....................

I’m with you on the speaker front. I listened to a pair of Sonus Faber Concertino Domus; they were very, very musical. I thought they were a touch too polite, but that may not be the case with a Primare amp and cdp.

Eddie B

Standard Member
Thanks CJCROSS for the info, i'll definitely have a listen to the Sonus Faber, beautiful looking speakers!! I have considered the MF equipment but it's just not for me.. Thanks Mark.Yudkin for clearing up my confusion with ribbon tweeters!!
I have also been looking at the Primare SP31.7 pre amp, anyone had a listen to it in stereo? cos that would sort my problem of an external dac for PS3 + MacMini?? Again thanks to all for the advice so far:thumbsup:

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom