1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

System Advice Needed!

Discussion in 'Arcam Owners' Forum' started by calsam, Jul 16, 2005.

1. calsam

calsam
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Am thinking along the lines of AVR 300 and DV79 with MA Radius, hopefully 4x R270, R225 and R360 – although may have to settle on the R90 as rears if spending more on the electronics.

Are Arcam and MA a good match? Music is at least as important as movies if not more so. I will be doing some listening test but would appreciate some advice in advance. How much improvement would I get using four 270s rather than R90s as rears?

I have read many times that the AVR300 works best using the rear channels to biamp the front speakers, is this really necessary to extract the best sound quality? The Radius 270 only has one set of speaker terminals, so is there an alternative I should look at? Am keen on MA as used to own some of their hifi speakers, which I was very happy with. Also, have many good reviews of the Radius system, naturally it looks good too, which is also a consideration.

One thing slightly putting me off the Arcam gear is that they appear to have a long shelf life. The DV79 has been around quite a while now, while many manufacturers seem to replace their range every 6 months or so. Would I be better off waiting for the new Pioneer combo of VSXAX4 and DV 989, or even their Denon market equivalents from both sound quality and technology perspectives? Is there a new Arcam dvd player on the horizon? Ease of use is also an important consideration, not only every day operation but also minimising number of connections, set-up etc.

Any advice greatly appreciated!

2. Hifi addict

Hifi addict

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Calsam,

the AVR300 is even better when you can use bi-amping with channels 6+7 but in case this is not possible or wanted, it is also very very good with single-amping. It will just add a little bit more enjoyment if you can bi-amp. If not, then it is still one of the best stereo AV receivers around.

I can not comment on the combination with the MA but knowing Arcam and it's 'neutral' sound, it should be a good combination. Just go to your dealer and listen to it. I think you will enjoy it.

On the long shelf life : I am very pleased with that ! look at it the other way: what development can be done in 6 months time, and what will that do to the 2nd hand value of your equipment if it is old, the minute you buy it?
    Arcam is of a higher quality in stereo and AV than the brands that replace their models every 6 month (sometimes only replacing the look of the machine).

On the other hand, Arcam made sure that many of their devices are software upgradable. So if development goes on or bugs are found, a simple software update will do. And I need to say that Arcam is very responsive to enduser input.

I've heard a couple of pioneer and denon DVD players next to the DV79 and it's a no-brainer which device to choose. They were nowhere near the arcams stereo/video quality. I must sound very pro-arcam, but you simple can not compare a hifi compagny with mass-production imho.

3. Liam @ Prog AV

Liam @ Prog AV
    Well-known Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +827
    Addicts comment on R&D vs shelflife is spot on. The Arcam gear knocks the spots of all it's competition because it dedicates time and effort to get the thing right, not to bundle in the latest auto-setup gimmick or a different looking fascia to try sweeten up the range! With these 6mth manufacturers I guess your kit is technically out-of-date before you've even bought it!!

The Arcam is very, very nice with the MA speakers (so much so we're looking at going Monitor Audio soon). However I prefer the match with the Quad L-series, especially if music is important (I love the music output of the Quads) plus these speakers are biwireable so suitable for biamping using the rears. In fact we like the Quads so much so we are now dealers of the L series!!!! You won't be unhappy with the MA at all, but I think you will be a bit happier with the quads. In fact a client of ours from this very forum just got exactly that system (AVR300, DV79, Quad 22l, 12l, 11c, Velodyne sub) and I'm sure if he sees this post he'll chip in!!

4. niceguy235uk

niceguy235uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +230
    Should always buy british (especially hi fi!!)

5. Greggles

Greggles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    Er, I should point out that Quad is owned by IAG - a Chinese company - as are Tag/Audiolab, Wharfdale and now Mission.