Syria- Is it time we re-assessed who we support?

Peace this weekend in Syria, well, not so much fighting in some areas. Lets see where the pipes get put.

Any Radio 4 listners on here?

As its one of the few radio stations my car radio will now pick up ive had this on in the mornings as im covering another site in work so had an hour plus trip each way.

Theres a series about one of the alleged underground bloggers in Raqa reporting on what life is like under IS. I was actually really shocked that an alleged serious radio station like Radio 4 would put on something that was so riddled with inaccuracies. Massive mistake in it yesterday reporting how the Allies started bombing IS in Raqa and the next day after the first Coalition strike a Russian plane bombed a crowd of civilians watching a stoning. Think you might find it was quite a while later that the Russians started bombing but don't let a little fact like that get in the way of a good story.

Im wondering if its the same guys who conned CNN in the start of the Syrian uprising who were reporting from someones bedroom in the US and not the Syrian battlefield and got rumbled for it

I think people are backward if they honestly believe that these Middle Eastern countries want democracy. They are comfortable with the way of life they are used to, they dont know anything else (or at least the vast majority of them) and dont really want change. They love their stoning´s, throwing gays off rooftops, their sharia law etc.

I read a quote once that went along the lines that they flee murderous dictators and tribal feud´s to somewhere else only to end up wanting what they used to have, dictator et al....

The problem is in a lot of countries like Syria and Iraq Democracy dosen't work because you have such decisive splits in the population across Tribal, Sect and Religious lines. Take away that Dictator and it ends in chaos.

We've seen that already in Iraq, Syria and Libiya but our estemmed leaders still can't get it into there heads that they are causing this chaos by trying to implement regieme change.

Also the concept of Western Democracy and Western Culture would be alien if implemented in full on a country like Saudi Arabia. Something like Women being allowed to do stuff is an alien concept there.

I think people are backward if they honestly believe that these Middle Eastern countries want democracy.

Many of those with their hands on the levers of power do not want democracy that's for sure, our allies, the ones that are mutual beneficial, the ones we enable to do what they do.
As for the plebs you have grouped up in that nice cuddly Western capitalism way; they will turn to religion or whatever will enable them to feed their families and themselves.

Many of those with their hands on the levers of power do not want democracy that's for sure, our allies, the ones that are mutual beneficial, the ones we enable to do what they do.
As for the plebs you have grouped up in that nice cuddly Western capitalism way; they will turn to religion or whatever will enable them to feed their families and themselves.

They don't know what to do with democracy. Its contrary to their centuries of feudal, tribal, family, Sunni/Shia fighting. They continue to live in the 7th century and that's just the way their leaders want it.

In order to embrace democracy, their religion would have to take a back seat and that aint gonnna happen.

If we are all still on this planet in 50 years time, I can guarantee nothing in those countries would have changed.

They control their people through religion, brutality, education, media and poverty...

They don't know what to do with democracy. Its contrary to their centuries of feudal, tribal, family, Sunni/Shia fighting. They continue to live in the 7th century and that's just the way their leaders want it.

In order to embrace democracy, their religion would have to take a back seat and that aint gonnna happen.

If we are all still on this planet in 50 years time, I can guarantee nothing in those countries would have changed.

They control their people through religion, brutality, education, media and poverty...

Indeed they do and we support their brutal control and nothing will change because we are not prepared to change how we work with regime's in the middle east, but we squeak when their Plebs go rouge.

Wow thats a bolt out of the blue. Either he's very confident Assadd is going to stay on and win everything he wants in the peace talks or hes just hung him out to dry.

Pressure from the EU or countries within because of the migrant crisis, perhaps?

Certainly it will be interesting to see where this is going.

Pressure from the EU or countries within because of the migrant crisis, perhaps?

I doubt it about the EU. When Putin started the strikes i don't think he could have figured in the refugee wave happening. Thats more NATO scaremongering. Something else has happend with regards to this although they are keeping both bases in Syria. Long shot have the West and its allies relented and will allow Assad to stay now that there allies have been hammered by the Russians or possibly with the Turkey situation are all sides trying to defuse the situation before it relly blows up bad?

Maybe the EU said to Putin, we will give you money if you pull out of Syria and Join the EU.

Any news on where the pipe is going?

Any news on where the pipe is going?
Straight to Germany where a 15% handling fee will be applied before distribution :devil:

You've got to think Putin thinks Assad is secure. Why would he invest the time and military effort to only throw it all away? Also any opposition groups who could get into power would be kicking the Russians out of there bases straight away. Theres no way Putin would want that to happen or be willing to except that no matter how much pressure the West put on.

Depends who it was that was killed. Car bombs seem to be more of a Mossad trick.

You've got to think Putin thinks Assad is secure. Why would he invest the time and military effort to only throw it all away?.

We are going to keep buying Russian Gas that's for sure, so job done. Also the timing of pull out was impeccable by Putin, absolutely messed up the West's narrative in the latest peace talks, right on the eve they resumed. The onus is right on the door step of the West yet again and Putin strolls off absolving responsibility having enlarged the Milatray infrastructure, its begrudgingly brilliant. Just remains to be seen how many times the West will appease and be outwitted by Putin's Russia.

Another attack in mainland Europe today. You have to wonder what are the security services in Belgium are actually doing?

Another attack in mainland Europe today. You have to wonder what are the security services in Belgium are actually doing?
Theres a thread on GC on this

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom