Synology: What RAID type are you using?

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by Jon Weaver, Feb 26, 2014.

1. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +757
    I built my HP54L with Synology /DSM 4.3 and the volume got created (Whether my colleague kicked this offer, or the software did it automatically I am not clear).

My intention was to use RAID 10, as this would support pairs of disks, giving the best reliability/protection, but I ended up with SHR which appears to be similar to RAID5.

Are people using this type of RAID? If not, what the most popular type? I like the idea that it only use 1 disk for protection.. But it does make me a little nervous..

Jon

2. blue max

blue max
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,314
    Never, never, never, never have this as your only source of data. You must have a backup of the important stuff. If it is only mildly inconvenient you can use a form of raid or none at all and stripe them all. I do the latter as this is a backup nas. The SHR solution is a good compromise. You'd have to be pretty unlucky to lose more than one disk at a time.
    If you are nervous, back up now!

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +757
    This is only a Media Server.. I am not worried about the loss of data.. I am just nervious about the hassle associated with loosing everything.. All of my important files are on my main PC and backed up to a USB drive and also put on old de-installed HDs stored away.. So the chances of loosing them are unlikely.

I am just concerned about the hassle of loosing everything because of a config error combined with a disk failure..

My reason for asking was just incase people said "don't use SHR".. As long as people are using it and are confident with its ability to survive a single disk failure, i am happy.

Cheers

Jon

4. cjed

cjed

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +587
    blue max is absolutly correct - have (multiple) backups. Redundant RAID systems are for continuity of service (it'll keep working even if a disk fails), not a form of backup.

Having said that, I run a couple of home servers that both use RAID 5. I've tested the reliability by pulling a disk and replacing with a blank and it allows access to the data while re-building the RAID array on the replacement disk, which is really neat. However, while in the re-build phase it's fragile and a second disk failure will lose all the data.

5. colonelblighty

colonelblighty

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +693
    My aim is to go for the shr-2 mode giving two disk parity in the event of a failure.

6. Goldenbone

Goldenbone

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    I use RAID 5 on my DS410 as media storage, across 4 x 2tb. It works really well - I recently had a disk fail, popped in a new one, and it rebuilt without a hitch. Performance is decent, even with modest system specs, and as long as 2 disks don't fail at once, or something truly apocalyptic happens, I should be in the clear.

I have backups, offsite and in the cloud (for varying levels of data importance and size) but it's nice knowing my main media serving is a little bit resilient.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
  7. meansizzler

meansizzler
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +343
    I have a ds411 slim, did not give me a raid choice, selected shr itself.