Synology NAS VPN Server and Android 12

zantarous

Distinguished Member
So just looking to see if anyone has tackled this issue yet, on a previous Synology (918+) I have a VPN server running and when I upgraded to the 1821+ the settings didn't come across. fast forward a year later and thought i should get round to this. I followed the notes I have made and can't get the darn thing to work and after a bit of troubleshooting I notice that problem is Android 12 does not support L2TP.

On the VPN server on the Synology the options are PPTP, OpenVPN or L2TP/IPSec, generally I have gone with L2TP but as this is no longer an option I need to have a think about what are some of the new standards.

Has anyone set up a VPN on their NAS and run into this issue? What have you done?

mickevh

Distinguished Member
I've not looked into OpenVPN in any detail, but it seems to be in vogue at present. Otherwise, when I last (years and years ago) examined the available VPN technologies, I would favour IPSec. It is supposed to traverse things like NAT and hetergenoues networks (ie the public Internet) better than PPTP/L2TP which work at "layer2" in the OSI standard networking model (IPSec works at layer 3 - the "IP" layer.)

Depending on what you choose, what router you have and which direction you want to initiate connection (ie inbound or outbound through your router's NAT/Firewall) you may need to open up some "port forwards" on your router.

Last edited:

oneman

What are you trying to achieve ?

Synology have their own remote access app that means you don't need to open inbound connects or setup VPN as it uses HTTPS I believe

jizzlejimbo

Wireguard works much better on my server. Does Synology allow that?

oneman

I have applications running in containers that I want to be able to occasionally manage or add to their workload.
I would probably stick with OpenVPN. Pretty easy to setup and works well. Do you not have a VPN server option on your router ?

Inspiring

So just looking to see if anyone has tackled this issue yet, on a previous Synology (918+) I have a VPN server running and when I upgraded to the 1821+ the settings didn't come across. fast forward a year later and thought i should get round to this. I followed the notes I have made and can't get the darn thing to work and after a bit of troubleshooting I notice that problem is Android 12 does not support L2TP.

On the VPN server on the Synology the options are PPTP, OpenVPN or L2TP/IPSec, generally I have gone with L2TP but as this is no longer an option I need to have a think about what are some of the new standards.

Has anyone set up a VPN on their NAS and run into this issue? What have you done?
I have used the option of OpenVPN and it works correctly with 1)frp port forwarding 2) OpenVPN client.

However recently OpenVPN didn't work anymore because I need to upgrade DSM to the latest so that the expired SSL certificate would get renewed. But other than this, OpenVPN has been working great.

zantarous

Distinguished Member
I have used the option of OpenVPN and it works correctly with 1)frp port forwarding 2) OpenVPN client.

However recently OpenVPN didn't work anymore because I need to upgrade DSM to the latest so that the expired SSL certificate would get renewed. But other than this, OpenVPN has been working great.
Thanks for the heads up, I haven't actually upgraded to DSM 7 due to the change in permissions for Plex, I keep putting it off as it seems such a faff.

Inspiring

to confirm, I have just this week upgraded to DSM 6.2.4-25556 Update 5 and its certificate works fine for OPENVPN

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B QD OLED Review - A Quantum Leap for OLED!
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom