• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Synology Nas and Panasonic TV - streaming photos through DNLA

Ping Man

Standard Member
I've just bought myself a Synology 213j and am able to show photos on a 46" Panny TV through the - somewhat clunky - interface which does show the photos. However I cannot get to display the photos from the original file. I suspect the 213 is using the "high" quality thumbnail which leaves pictures looking slightly blocky. When I display the same photo from a local laptop via the same Panny interface the picture comes up nice and sharp and is I assume using the original data which I saved to the laptop.
I am saving the photos to the 213 through the Synology assisitant (mainly to save time generating thumbnails which is painfully slow on the 213 itself). Is there any way to make the 213 read from the higher quality file for the larger screen application?

If anyone with a synology or other Nas can help me resolve this it would be much appreciated.

Many thanks

Paul

next010

Distinguished Member
Yeah this is a real old issue that goes all the way back to Synologys very first products.

Is the transmit low resolution images option checked on the DSM/media server/browsing settings tab ?

Synology themselves suggest changing the DLNA profile applied to the TV but this may have unwanted side effects, there is also talk of a "DLNA profile with original cover" that may be the one to go for. It's amazing they still haven't fixed it, I remember first encountering that bug all the way back to 2007, it's some sort of design flaw in their system I guess.

The other option is disable the Synology media server and replace it with another which doesnt tie into the Synology media indexer & thumbnail generation. For a 213J use TVmobili (recommended) or Serviio, both have apps available you can get from their website which can be manually installed via the app installer or may even be on the app portal on the NAS.

Ping Man

Standard Member
Is the transmit low resolution images option checked on the DSM/media server/browsing settings tab ?

Synology themselves suggest changing the DLNA profile applied to the TV but this may have unwanted side effects, there is also talk of a "DLNA profile with original cover" that may be the one to go for.

Many thanks for these suggestions next010. After changing the DNLA profiles (I wonder what the difference is between Panasonic TV and Panasonic TV - 1?) to the ones suggested as well as trying lots more that made no difference, I clicked on the browsing tab to find the "transmit low resolution images" option was ticked. Big difference once it was switched off!

Thanks again :)

The latest video from AVForums

CES 2023 Round Up: New TV Lineups for 2023 from LG, Samsung, Panasonic, Hisense & TCL
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom