Synology Expansion unit fan issue

zantarous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just want to see if anyone else is having a similar issue, I have a DX517 attached to a Synology 918+ and every couple of weeks the fans on the DX spin up and never spin down, the first time it happened it was like 1 am and I left it over night yet at 9 in the morning the fans were still going full pelt. A reboot of the two units fixes the issue but about two weeks later (well 13 days of uptime according to the DS finder app this morning) it will start happening again.

I had a quick google last time and couldn't find any other mentions of this, so just wanted to see if anyone else had this before contacting Synology support.

So after lots of back and forth with Synology support, who I must say are actually pretty quick and prompt with their replies have concluded the expansion unit must be faulty as there is nothing in the logs to indicate the fans are spinning any more then they should be and the temp of the unit is when the issue happens is still normal.

Unfortunately having bought it from Amazon via a 3rd party seller they won't send a replacement unit until I ship mine back which I did yesterday. Glad I created a new volume for the expansion bay as everything continues to work as it should and even Plex doesn't grumble that half the library is missing. hopefully the vendor doesn't now muck me around with getting a replacement unit.

Make sure you have the Synology chat proof that advises the unit is faulty and they cannot say anything.
It is likely that once they plug the unit it, they wont find any errors either, so it will be your word against theirs, hopefully you have something from Synology to confirm the product is faulty.

Make sure you have the Synology chat proof that advises the unit is faulty and they cannot say anything.
It is likely that once they plug the unit it, they wont find any errors either, so it will be your word against theirs, hopefully you have something from Synology to confirm the product is faulty.

I have the Synology case chat in case history. Although very annoyed right now as they have received the unit and are basically sending it to Synology to repair which can take up to 28 days. I won't be buying from them again I would expect that they send a replacement unit and have Synology credit them for a faulty unit.

I dont mind buying from 3rd party sellers if the item is cheap.

Its a shame that all suppliers are not like Amazon and offer a no questions asked return/Exchange.
I dont see why they dont give you another one, and send your unit back to synology as a RTM for a refund?

Its a shame they are making their customer wait for a month for something that is not their fault, you could have sent it back to Synology yourself and kept an eye on the progress, but now you are blind on the progress... Who is the 3rd party seller, just so we know their returns process?

I have actually been known to spend an extra £30 - £50 on Amazon just soley down to their returns policy.

Lets hope it gets fixed sooner rather than later Eh!

Maybe you can contact the place where they sent it back and they can rush it through if you say its for your business, or you need it urgently, email that Dept.

So the actual unit was bought from Amazon, they even added a £50 discount to the sellers price. I waited months for Amazon to get stock and after around 12 weeks caved and bought it, obviously two days later they bloody got stock of the damn thing.

The seller is CCL Computers and bought via their Amazon page. I figured the policy would be the same as if buying through Amazon but lesson learned for next time.

It is not as if there is anything to fix, it is essentially a glorified and expensive eSata caddy and fan.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom