Synology DS920+ Login issues

mfp2gosling1

Hi,
I bought a 920+ just over a week ago to host my movie collection, so I started loading it up with my Bluray collection, got about 4Tb on a 8Tb drive so far, only 1 drive fitted at the moment but will shuck my other 2 WD Elements drives once I’ve moved the movies into the NAS.

Everthing was going ok until yesterday when turned the NAS on (wasn’t using it so it was switched off for 4 days), I tried to get my Zappiti One to connect to the NAS but the NAS wouldn’t accept my username and password. I can use DSM with both my iPad and my HTPC but can’t transfer files. On my HTPC I can see the NAS sitting on the network but can’t expand it to show the files already on it.

Does anyone have any idea as to why I can’t login, it’s filling me with rage trying to get it to work. I’m on the verge of doing a fact reset just to see if that helps.

NAS is new to me, so I’m no expert when it comes to this kind of thing.

UFC

Standard Member
Hi, I may be of no help as I'm a newbie too. If I understand you can log into dsm with your main(admin) account? But having trouble accessing the drive with other devices?

So for me, too be able to connect my osmc (kodi) box I had to enable nfs in the control panel to access the NAS.

Epistemon

I would use my phone (Wifi off) to try log in via QuickConnect, (i.e. from Internet, not LAN) to see if that gives you a way in.

ArcticWolf710

Hi,
I bought a 920+ just over a week ago to host my movie collection, so I started loading it up with my Bluray collection, got about 4Tb on a 8Tb drive so far, only 1 drive fitted at the moment but will shuck my other 2 WD Elements drives once I’ve moved the movies into the NAS.

Everthing was going ok until yesterday when turned the NAS on (wasn’t using it so it was switched off for 4 days), I tried to get my Zappiti One to connect to the NAS but the NAS wouldn’t accept my username and password. I can use DSM with both my iPad and my HTPC but can’t transfer files. On my HTPC I can see the NAS sitting on the network but can’t expand it to show the files already on it.

Does anyone have any idea as to why I can’t login, it’s filling me with rage trying to get it to work. I’m on the verge of doing a fact reset just to see if that helps.

NAS is new to me, so I’m no expert when it comes to this kind of thing.

(Obviously, I don't know how far your knowledge extends with regards to your NAS or your network in general so I'll keep all explanations & terminology somewhat simplified so as not to confuse matters further for you ;). The Synology's are fairly newb friendly in general but some settings do need some closer attention depending on what you're wanting to do with your NAS or your particular usage, etc.)

First obvious observation, if you've already set your NAS up with a single drive then you won't have been able to setup any kind of fault tolerance at all! (SHR is the most newb friendly option with a Synology over traditional RAID options as the NAS automates most of the basic setup & general management for you, but you need two drives minimum to begin with.). As things stand it sounds like you're intending to just populate your NAS as JBOD as additional drives become available, (which is fine if that's all you want, don't get me wrong). However, if a drive fails in your NAS & you've later shucked all of your external HDD's to populate the NAS too, you'll have no backups & no way of rebuilding a degraded array & the immediate result will be data loss!!

(Kind of defeats the purpose of purchasing a pricey model like the DS 920+.)

Otherwise, if you can still log in to the main DSM web interface from a browser then you're still essentially OK & in control. From your explanation so far, you can still do this? So, don't panic yet ;). If that is the case, all is not lost & you're not yet at the point of needing a full factory reset but I can understand your frustration :). Chances are it's a simple configuration or permissions issue that you've not yet set properly (or at all) that may be required.

Some of the more obvious issues you may want to investigate first....

When you next log in via DSM, double check all of your group, admin or user privileges & permissions via the control panel, (as applicable to your configuration). Is your admin account set to no access, read only or already have full read/write permission respectively? (At your stage it'll be easier to just use the main admin account you created in the initial setup, so ensure it has the correct read/write permissions & access your shares on the NAS from other devices using your admin credentials. You can configure user accounts later if you wish.)

If you've configured your one drive storage.... Also check your permissions & settings for any shared folders that you've configured so far, (right click on any shared folder & select edit to review each folders settings & permissions). If you haven't given them the correct permissions your shared folders (or any sub directories) may not be visible to all systems, or users (if applicable).

I'd also check whether you've specifically configured the NAS for something like, (as an example), to use SMB v3 only which could cause you some access problems from other devices, apps or services. Avoid SMB v1 if you possibly can (disabled by default) yes, but setting SMB v2 as a minimum is still OK. However, the Zappiti One may actually need the NAS to be configured to use SMB v1 minimum which is also FAR from ideal!!

Did you also enable your NASs' firewall? If yes, have you properly configured it? Have you also added a blanket "deny all" rule in your firewall? If yes, this needs to be added last or you can re-order your current firewall rules by dragging & dropping them in the order you desire so all of your "allow" rules are listed first.

Obviously it also depends on how you use your NAS as to whether you use QuickConnect etc. It's certainly a useful feature but I disable it on all but one of my NAS so they're only available on the LAN itself & not available online for security. (We all have our own subjective uses & requirements in that regard, however ;).)

If you haven't already done so as well, it's also a good idea to configure a reserved IP for your NAS via your router and/or assign a static IP on the NAS itself too. (Doing both is kind of "belts and braces", but it helps to avoid any conflicts if you do frequently shut the NAS down, depending on whether you use your router to reserve IPs for the other devices on your LAN or you always rely on DHCP alone, and the NAS itself will always default to your chosen static IP.).

Otherwise, before you start moving too much more data over as it is & shucking all of your external HDD's, I'd advise doing a little more research on exactly how you want to configure the storage of your new NAS!! Even for the primary use as a simple file/media server many users who purchase a NAS like a DS 920+ do so with a specific plan to use SHR/RAID rather than JBOD because it affords them a degree of fault tolerance should one of their drives suddenly fail. I'm not saying all do, but there are certainly considerably cheaper 4 x bay Synology models available that you could have purchased instead if you never planned on using any kind of fault tolerance at all.

Say, for example, you populate your NAS with 4 x 8TB drives & configure it using SHR with a one disk fault tolerance, that still gives you "roughly" 20 TB usable storage. If one drive fails all of your data will still be available & accessible (albeit at the loss of some performance), & you can simply insert a new drive to fully rebuild your volume(s) ASAP. If you're configuring as JBOD & a drive fails, data gone, period. (Especially if you tear down all of your external drives to populate the NAS & leave yourself with zero backups.)

I'd seriously consider at least purchasing a second 8 TB drive & reconfiguring your NAS with SHR before you proceed any further IMHO. If you're still dead set on no fault tolerance, I'd seriously consider returning the DS 920+ as it's ultimately complete overkill & look at something like the DS 418 or even a DS 418j / DS 420j models to act as a simple multi drive network share which are well over £100 UK / $150 US cheaper than the DS 920+. (The only major loss you'd notice given how you seem to want to use your NAS for media storage/sharing is the + models can have a 5 bay expansion directly connected but they're more expensive than a second 418/418j/420j NAS would cost you if you ever needed to expand anyway. For sharing files untouched as they are over your network for a media player to actually do the decoding the j or "junior" models would be more than enough if cost is a significant factor for you. You'd only really need a + model if you plan on running resource intensive packages or services on the NAS itself.) Obviously you're the best judge of any future needs you may require from your NAS that you hadn't actually mentioned in your original post ;).

Up to you ;).

Last edited:

mfp2gosling1

Thanks for the answers guys, especially Arcticwolf, wow, dude, thanks.

I’ve been pretty busy so this is the first I’ve been back on here, so I’ll give you guys an update.

The 920‘s up and running perfectly, Arcticwolf you’ll be please to hear that I bought a couple of 14tb drives, one to put in the 920 and the other for backups, so the 920 now has 3x8tb and it’s just adding the 14tb now, in Raid 5. I like belt and braces.👍

The problem logging in to the 920 was that to do that through my HTPC it asks for a password twice, and in my wisdom I’d set 2 different passwords, but forgot that I’d done that and was trying the same passwords for both. Duh. 😳

Once logged in through the HTPC I could see and transfer files and set the Zappiti to look at the files on the 920 no problem. It seems that when using DSM on my iPad it doesn’t have the full functionality to allow me to tell the Zappiti to look at the 920. But it worked seamlessly using the HTPC, (though to be honest I set the Zappiti to look at the movies folder on the 920 but I haven’t actually watched a movie using it yet).

Also no problems adding drives and changing the Raid configuration using the PC.

Thanks again for your help guys. Apologies for being a dumbass. Arcticwolf, I appreciate the the time and knowledge put into your reply, I’ll work my way through your suggestions/advice, thanks.

ArcticWolf710

Thanks for the answers guys, especially Arcticwolf, wow, dude, thanks.

I’ve been pretty busy so this is the first I’ve been back on here, so I’ll give you guys an update.

The 920‘s up and running perfectly, Arcticwolf you’ll be please to hear that I bought a couple of 14tb drives, one to put in the 920 and the other for backups, so the 920 now has 3x8tb and it’s just adding the 14tb now, in Raid 5. I like belt and braces.👍

The problem logging in to the 920 was that to do that through my HTPC it asks for a password twice, and in my wisdom I’d set 2 different passwords, but forgot that I’d done that and was trying the same passwords for both. Duh. 😳

Once logged in through the HTPC I could see and transfer files and set the Zappiti to look at the files on the 920 no problem. It seems that when using DSM on my iPad it doesn’t have the full functionality to allow me to tell the Zappiti to look at the 920. But it worked seamlessly using the HTPC, (though to be honest I set the Zappiti to look at the movies folder on the 920 but I haven’t actually watched a movie using it yet).

Also no problems adding drives and changing the Raid configuration using the PC.

Thanks again for your help guys. Apologies for being a dumbass. Arcticwolf, I appreciate the the time and knowledge put into your reply, I’ll work my way through your suggestions/advice, thanks.

You're welcome :).

Awesome, glad you're fully up & running, & it certainly sounds like you're well in control now.

Indeed, if you log into the DSM from a mobile browser you don't get full control, functionality or features. As you've since discovered, you really need a desktop browser for full administrative control, or if you're happy using command line then you can always enable SSH if, as or when you may require it too of course.

I have a few Syno's now & I found one of the best ways to quickly get up to speed with a lot of the features early on was to simply work my way through every option/every tab in the control panel. Then work your way through the settings in the storage manager & other important apps/packages for their individual settings etc. too. Configure the easy/obvious stuff as you go & just quickly look up anything you're not so sure about, or make a note of it to come back to from the extensive Synology user help system. (It doesn't take as long as it actually sounds & you're then reasonably familiar with the basics etc., & the system as a whole isn't quite as alien to you after that.)

If you'd also like to conserve power when your NAS is not in use, the hibernation, & more so the WoL features are also very useful BTW. The NAS can power itself down if you're not using it for extended periods & you can simply wake it remotely with an app from your HTPC/iPad/smartphone as required. I haven't bothered setting up SMS/push msgs myself but I also configure all of my NAS to email me routine info such as health or scheduled scan reports which also saves having to constantly log back in to the DSM itself just to keep an eye on things too. (You can configure it just to keep you updated about the more critical/important functions or only if there's a problem, or you can almost get the NAS to tell you what it ate for breakfast each morning lol ;).)

Ultimately, you can keep things fairly simple if you wish or there's some great advanced features to help you get the most out of their capabilities too. There's a lot of excellent guides available online that other users have posted up, ranging from initial configuration to advanced management & extended features/services too, just Google anything you need & invariably someone has made a blog or Youtube tutorial.

Enjoy your system as a whole with the added benefits of your NAS :).

(P.S. The dumbass questions are the ones you don't ask IMHO ;). Certainly no apologies needed, hell knows I often have to ask for help with various things on forums like this myself too ;).)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Panasonic JZ2000 Final Thoughts - TV Calibration: Should you? And More...
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom