Synology DS920+ , AV receiver , plex server no hdmi

r williams

Novice Member
Hello fellow AV genius :). I have a situation that I am trying to figure out. I have a NAS synology 920+ running plex server and I want to buy an AV receiver to play my movie collection . My problem is I want play the signal thru the AV to the tv but I dont have a HDMI on the NAS. I trying to figure out how to :
1. Will get an AV receiver with network connection
2. Use the plex interface (Tv has plex client while server is on NAS)
3. Want to play the videos thru the receiver to the TV as pass thru.

How can i get it to play thru the network to eventually pass thru the receiver and come out the HDMI port ? Inquiring mind need all help that I can get.

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
Best solution IMO, a media streaming device that can run Plex as a server, client or run Kodi so there's no transcoding.

Nvidia Shield Pro TV does all 3 but needs to be networked, as do all Networked media streamers.

You can try running Plex client on your TV without an HDMI and doing it over Wifi, that's the main purpose of Plex. However, it depends upon how good your wifi is and how high the bitrate of the files whether you'll have any success.
Also depending upon your TV and what else you have depends upon how good the audio will be.
Not all TVs are capable of passing through HD audio and streaming 4K discs over wifi is unlikely without issues.

mickevh

Distinguished Member
I concur - just use the NAS for storage and buy networked media streamer to play the content. (If at all possible make sure the "network" links between them are wired ethernet as much as possible for fastest and most reliable performance.)

Such a media streamer will almost certainly come with it's own remote control stick which saves you another headache (how to I remote control a NAS playing out through HDMI if it's in another room..?) Most steamers are fanless which saves you a noise source at the viewing location.

A lot of media streamers have physical options as to how to route their output - some have HDMI for picture and sound (sometimes just picture), optical fiber for sound, SPDIF (RCA copper cables) for sound, some have all three which gives you flexibility. IIRC mine even supports composite video and analogue sound outputs. It's something to think about when you are drawig up the requirements list and shopping around.

Thence you can onward route the sound video or combination of both to your playback equipment depending on it's capabilities. To cite my own example (most of my kit is pretty old at time of posting,) from my media streamer I've got HDMI feeding the "TV" which can carry picture and sound but I mostly use it just for pictures (TV is silent) and an optical digital output takes the audio from my streamer into my AV (surround sound) amp and speaker system.

This is by no means the "gold standard" and there's plenty of other ways you could go about it if (for example) your AV receiver sported HDMI passthrough (mine doesn't) or the TV supported audio passthrough (again, my doesn't.) There's a few ways to skin this particular cat.

r williams

Novice Member
Thanks for all the great responses. I figured out the way to make it work and didn't have to buy anything extra. I needed to do some spring closet cleaning and ran across a xmas gift I bought myself back in 2019 that works. Bought a xbox one at best buy and with everything going on last year I actually forgot I had it. I connected it up tonight and updated it (took quite awhile) and then did a search for plex tv and they had it in the microsoft store. Loaded it up and it found my server no problem and bob's your uncle !!! I will just pass my xbox thru a receiver and will get my full surround sound that I so desperately missed. Thanks for all the wonderful help and advise !!!! Now just need a remote app because not going to use the controller for it lol

djstu_d

Thanks for all the great responses. I figured out the way to make it work and didn't have to buy anything extra. I needed to do some spring closet cleaning and ran across a xmas gift I bought myself back in 2019 that works. Bought a xbox one at best buy and with everything going on last year I actually forgot I had it. I connected it up tonight and updated it (took quite awhile) and then did a search for plex tv and they had it in the microsoft store. Loaded it up and it found my server no problem and bob's your uncle !!! I will just pass my xbox thru a receiver and will get my full surround sound that I so desperately missed. Thanks for all the wonderful help and advise !!!! Now just need a remote app because not going to use the controller for it lol
Hey,

Try and find the official ms media remote, it's a great remote !!!

It's small, light, lights up when you touch it and it feels great in your hand. Well worth hunting down !!!

The xbox is a really good media player all told and the HDMI in can be very useful.

Few games with trying too ;)

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Hisense A7G, Zidoo Z1000 & Kudos Cardea C10 Reviews + Movie News and Reviews
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom