Synology DS411j crashed help

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by biccus1, Jul 22, 2018.

Tags:
  1. biccus1

biccus1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi i have a synology DS411j which has been good for a few years now, but last week it suddenly stopped, all i get now is a blue flashing light, it has 4 x hdd inside i don't know much about NAS or networking, it mainly holds family photos, music files, some personal stuff and movies ..

I have tried reading about the setup of the discs but cant rally understand how to work out how the setup was done as i bought it setup with the discs..

can i just buy any 4 port has plug in the discs and have my files back ?

Any recommend a good replacement for the DS411j ?

Thanks shane

2. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    I'd go to the Synology website and see if you can get some help on their forum or open a ticket with Synology to see if they can assist.

If you buy another NAS, it would have to be a Synology for your discs to work and they would have to be installed in exactly the same order they're in your current unit. However this may not work depending upon what the problem is.

Do you not have a backup?

3. biccus1

biccus1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Hi

No backup i thought the synology was my solution i was told if a disc breaks it will warn me i just replace that drive and all is good, but now the whole unit is down i don't know what to do ... What do people use as the backup solution one single drive or cloud ?

I will join the synology form for help thank you ..

4. mickevh

mickevh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,754
    RAID technology is not a backup solution - it avails continued access to data is a disc dies. Should the data get overwritten, accidentally deleted, or the host server dies as in this instance, RAID won't save you.

Backup means making a duplicate copy of the data somewhere else. How often to make a backup, where to store them, how long to keep them, what to backup to, are topics of much discussion which we debate here from time to time.

I council that there's no real "right" and "wrong" way to do backup as devising a backup regime is informed by factors such as the value of the data, the inconvenience of loosing it, the cost, the likelihood of actually performing the backup, (many a good intention get forgotten very quickly,) etc.

5. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    Repeat until your head hurts.

RAID isn't backup, it's redundancy.

For that very reason I have a duplicate NAS. It's smaller and I don't have everything on it, just the stuff I'm not prepared to lose if it does all go.

6. John7

John7

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +998
    I have a slot loading SATA drive bay in the front of my desktop PC. I keep backups of important stuff on bare drives of varying capacity. Some stuff, such as photos, documents and music have multiple backups over several drives.

I do this since a virus infection many years ago wiped (corrupted) a large number of family photos which I lost as I had no backup. Hard . lesson . learned.

7. stevelup

stevelup

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,325
    You can put the Synology units into recovery mode and reinstall the operating system. All the instructions are on the Synology website.

That should be the first thing you try.

Essentially, you run a tool on your PC which will find the broken NAS and allow you to reload it.

If you can’t sort it, yes, putting those drives in any new Synology NAS should be fine. There are ways of extracting data from Synology drives but it is very complex and risky.

8. bubblegum57

bubblegum57

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
  9. drummerjohn

drummerjohn

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +205
    Had a similar issue a few years ago - it was the PSU. Measuer the 12v rail from the PSU and it was low. Cut the connector off and put it on an old ATX PSU and worked fine.

10. biccus1

biccus1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +37
    Thank you that was my problem, ordered new nas then tried new power supply in old one and it fired up, so looks like i will load up new on and sell old one :)

11. Sloppy Bob

Sloppy Bob
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,312
    See if you can order a power supply off ebay and use the old one as a backup?