• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Synology DS212 Parity Check - Five Days to Complete

RhoXS

Standard Member
Yesterday I replaced a D-Link DNS-323 with a new Synology DS212 because the transfer rates associated with the DNS-323 across my small office network are just unacceptably slow.

I completed the initial installation with minimal problems. The Storage Manager then indicated "Verifying hard disks in the background (Re-synchronizing xx.xx%)" I assume this is the parity check between the two 1 TB drives that comprise the Raid 1 array. After 24 hours it only completed about 20% making this a five day process; during which the DS212 is not available.

I called Synology tech support this morning and they said "be patient". They indicated the parity check does take a number of days and said it does not indicate a problem with their product.

Is a multi-day installation procedure typical of all NAS devices or is this just an issue with the Synology product?

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom