Synology DS2112j

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by rsinbad, Feb 28, 2013.

1. rsinbad

rsinbad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi new to the forum, I am a total novice when it comes to NAS and I know there's a lot to get my head round.
    The setup was fairly straight forward I chose the SHR with 2x 2G WD drives. I then used the synology data replicator to upload all my photo's 240g from my PC, this crashed after a few hours so I restated it and left it running overnight, the next day it said 4hrs remaing and that's where it stayed.
    I have restored to factory settings and about to repeat the process ?
    I know my connection is slow should it take that long and am I doing this the right way .
    Any advice post settup would be appreciated.

2. Loada

Loada

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    This isn't a direct solution but a couple of useful tips:

1. Make sure you've upgraded to the latest DSM (Synology's operating system) software - if you goto the control panel in the DSM, there's an icon for DSM upgrade. It'll check what version you're currently on and offer to upgrade if it needs to. That should make sure you've got the latest release which (hopefully) rules out any bugs or issues.

2. If I remember correctly, there is a photo thumbnail "service" that runs on the NASthat makes small images of your photos for use in the photo browsing features. As far as I know, you can't turn it off, at least not without going under the hood of DSM down to the underlying Linux operating system and tinkering. If you're copying a lot of photos on, it can take an AGE (days!!) to build the thumbnails. I *think* you can ask it to postpone this process though which you might want to do. Another option is not to use the built-in "Photo" shared folder but create your own so that the NAS doesn't attempt to do it's photo manipulation stuff on it.

3. Copy a small number of photos first, just to get things started and have a play with the photo features using that smaller subset of them?

Hope that helps - the Synology NAS' are great bits of kit, mostly due to DSM being really well done.

3. rsinbad

rsinbad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your response after the reset to factory settings it wanted to do a parity check , this took all night to complete. I do have the latest DSM, I am now having another go at uploading my photo collection and crossed fingers it will work this time.
    Regards