Synology DiskStation won’t idle/hibernate

DodgeTheViper

My Synology 414 Diskstation won’t go into idle or hibernate, the drives just keep continuously spinning.

I’m sure I have the correct settings to tell it to hibernate but it still doesn’t. The Synology forums suggest to make sure certain things aren’t running, which they’re not and general searches suggest the same thing. But it still won’t go into idle.

Does anyone have any particular suggestions that may need checking ?

I only actually use it to store movies fed to a media player. If I can’t sort this out, I’m tempted to get a media player that has its own built in drive bays.

mushii

Distinguished Member
What settings do you have for media indexing? If it is set to check for changes or index less than 24 hours then it can stop it hibernating

DodgeTheViper

Thanks for chipping in :smashin:

I dont have the Media Server installed. In fact the only package I do have is the Universal Search, which is running. And I've just noticed it needed updating.

DodgeTheViper

I've disconnected it from the Network and after the specified amount of time, it went to sleep. So that kind of narrows down the problem.

next010

Distinguished Member
Various devices could be scanning the network for servers or shares which is what keeps it from spinning down as the NAS responds.

DodgeTheViper

Various devices could be scanning the network for servers or shares which is what keeps it from spinning down as the NAS responds.
It does look like a Network thing going on somewhere. The only thing that could be scanning is the TV as the Media Player is only on when I’m in that room and I don’t have any other devices that could be scanning. After saying that, the TV is off overnight and the drives keep spinning. I’ll check the TV anyway for elimination.

next010

Distinguished Member
Could be apps on smartphones too or even a sound system that scans for DLNA media servers.

You could try using any log tools in Synology DSM to see if it records what is accessing the NAS to narrow down the possible devices.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: CES 2021 Special - Sony, LG, Panasonic, Samsung, TCL and Hisense TV news and more...
Top Bottom