Synology data replicator

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by rsinbad, Mar 2, 2013.

1. rsinbad

rsinbad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have perchased a synology ds2112j and in the process of adding shared folders and uploading files from my pc using SDR , I used the imediate options to populate the shared folders. I expected just the images to be updated like windows files ,but there are several other folders there. Can someone explain what these are for and can I delete them just leaving the files. (see image below)

[​IMG]

Applogies if this is a dumb question

Last edited: Mar 2, 2013
  2. cleavepm

cleavepm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    If you're referring to Music, Photo & Video then they're created by default. No need to populate them if you don't want to. They are the default ones shared out for DLNA clients to connect to.

3. rsinbad

rsinbad
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for your replay I've used data replicator 3 to populate these files a lot of data should I delete all and start again?
    So confused here, do i need to format and start again ?
    Then create shared folders with different names to add my photo/doc/video etc to them using the synology data replicator or is it done another way ?

4. cleavepm

cleavepm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    It depends on what you're trying to achieve.

If all you're using your NAS for is as a backup device then I would suggest that you continue to simply mirror the folders which you have on the PC that you're backing up.

If you want to use your NAS as a media hub and share out music/pictures/videos then you have a number of options -
    1. Change the folder structure on your PC to match that of the NAS.
    2. Get your backup app to copy the files (if possible) from the matching coresponding folders on your PC to the corresponding ones on the NAS.
    3. Share the new folders that you've created on the NAS so that they are visible to other devices on the network.