Synology and Airport Express

Discussion in 'Networking & NAS' started by superdon, Mar 6, 2013.

1. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    So, I am pretty much decided on a Synology NAS.

Am I correct in thinking I can host music files on the NAS and buy an Airport Express, and connect that via optical cable to an AV amp to stream music controlled from an ipad/android phone. And I wont need a PC on in the network running iTunes?

So, close to a Sonos type set up?

Or am I totally wrong :blush:

2. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    Yes you can do that, you don't need a PC running iTunes. In Audiostation or DSAudio you can select the output speakers, just set the Airport Express as the speakers or you simply can Airplay directly within the DSAudio app running on iPad.

The Airport Express uses mini-optical just watch out for that so you need mini-optical to regular optical cable.

3. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Thanks. I don't know a lot about the airport express. Do I need a specific version? My network is run from a Virgin Superhub (modem mode) with a seperate wireless router.

4. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    All you need is to buy the current Airport Express from Apple and you should be good to go. You cant but older versions from Apple only the latest model, you will want to to make the AE join your existing wireless network when setting it up. The airport utility wizard will guide you through it.

5. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Thanks again. If I buy a second hand older version on the classifieds or eBay, will that work as well?

6. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Another question. Would Apple TV work? Just thinking in the future the video side of things might be useful. And it seems there are a few more options for control from android devices with Apple TV.

7. next010

next010
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,113
    Unsure older models may be a gamble, if it looks like the one of the Apple website [a white AppleTV] then it should be okay.

Should also work too.

The older devices use a precursor to Airplay called Airtunes, however Apple simply renamed Airtunes as Airplay which is why open source Airplay apps as found on Android have trouble with non-genuine Airplay devices.

I think Synology's system can work with the older Airtunes devices but I'm not sure. I tested it out ages ago with one but my memory is foggy on whether it worked back then.

8. superdon

superdon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Ok. I will look around for a second hand airport express and have a play. I am also going to look at other options, but I will start a new thread on that