Syncing Address Book on the road

simon12

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi, I have my main address book on my iMac at home and want to sync it with the address book on my MacBook whilst it's on the road. Is this possible without a .mac account? If not, how is it best to sync them when I'm home on the same wifi network or using bluetooth?

I do have a gmail account which I use to sync iCal between two macs and an android phone. I guess that would work.

If I wanted to sync address book between the macs at home over my wifi network, what would be the best way to do this?

You can use Google for that as well, just have them both pointed at Google.

Whilst google works, it is not the best for synching the address book and calendars. But if you also want to sync it with an Android or WebOS phone you have no choice unfortunately.

My gripes with google are the way it doesn't deal with pre/post fixes, double barrelled names, spaces in names, and worst of all how it compresses photos you attached to contacts.

The thing is, for just the address book syncing I don't need it to also sync with my phone. So if it's easier, I'm happy to do it when I'm home between the macs only whilst on my wifi network. What would be the best way to do this?

it isnt actually. You still need a 'server' of some sort to sync with. You cant do it direct.

out of interest why wouldnt you want your contacts in sync across all your devices?

it isnt actually. You still need a 'server' of some sort to sync with. You cant do it direct.

out of interest why wouldnt you want your contacts in sync across all your devices?

Simply because I only really use the email function on my phone to receive and reply to. I very rarely need an address on it, I wait and use a computer if I need to send something a bit longer. I do use the syncing feature though on Google to store all my phone numbers so that I have a backup if the phone was lost. Simply choose to store the number as a google number instead of on the sim card.

It would make life a lot easier if you don't keep it separate ;-)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom