1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Synchronising multiple DVD players

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by cTrix, Aug 24, 2004.

1. cTrix

cTrix

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know this is an odd request… but bear with me!

I am a final year student studying a multimedia arts degree, and have created a video project where by I need to play the final result across 6 television screens. Each television has a separate DVD ready to go, therefore logic would say, that if I purchase 6 same brand, same model DVD players… one remote would be able to trigger them all in synchronised playback.

I figure that this will work if:

- All the DVD players are the same brand and model

- The DVD-R I burn has a “sync” screen where by the disc has time to spin up and reach a title screen and I press enter to start the presentation.

The presentation run’s for about 10 minutes, and it isn’t critical if a couple of frames get dropped; although it is timed to music. I plan to return the videos to a black ‘menu’ after 10 mins, where by my remote will automatically play the presentation again (I’ve made a little robot out of Lego that presses a remote button every 10 mins)

Has anybody every put multiple identical models of DVD player side by side and compared them? Maybe in a store? Or tried to sync them?

I am aware of the Pioneer sync-able pro DVD players – but I can buy 3 DVD players for the cost of hiring one of these units for a day!! I’m looking at buying cheap, basic DVD players (like a Conia / Samsung / Digitrex)

I can’t see why any of this wouldn’t work – but just in case someone out there knows DVD players drift, I thought I’d ask. Any pointers would be appreciated or if any body has tried this, please let me know!

:smashin:

ps. Each DVD does have a different video clip on it otherwise I'd simply use a distrib box! I have tried using one of those TV wall processing units to split up one image across 6 TV's, but the quality was horrible. But thanks to my local movie theatre all the same for letting me try!

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    your plan seems sound but wouldnt an simple chapter loop would work fine, once it is all synced no need to keep robot going....(sorry) only place i have seen a rack of the same DVD player going for it, was ahem at an adult shop in ibiza, 20 DVD players all running! some more sophisticated DVD's have a control port on reear so htey dont need IR commands. but 6 cheap units should be fine, see if you can borrow them from a shop.

3. Engineer

Engineer
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    It sounds like is should work. There will be a variation in spin-up time, as you have already anticipated. There may also be a slight variation in seek time, so over a long period your idea of using a robot to press the button might keep things in sync better than a chapter or title repeat (since a seek will be involved every time it loops back to the start of the chapter).
    The clocks of DVD players are always pretty precise (usually <50ppm), they need to be for TVs to be able to decode the composite video, so once the video is playing there will be negligable drift in timing.
    Good luck!

4. Crustyloafer

Crustyloafer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,236
    Due to the slight differences in the time taken for the discs to spin up and start playing I would recommend starting each player and then pausing them at the strart of the first chapter. Once you have this a single 'Play' or 'Pause' command from the remote should tell them all the strat playing and there should be any delay as the discs are already spinning and at the correct point on the disc.