Synchronic Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the review, Cas.

I liked this one a bit more than you. 8/10 for me.

Thank you for the review Cas, am a big fan of their pervious works (including 2014 Spring) so I'll be giving this a watch soon.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review, Ill add this to my list.
Im not familiar with previous works, but i do like time travel films and anything different where all is not what it first appears like 2002's cipher or even tenet, which i enjoyed and have to watch a second time soon.

Thanks for the Review Cas. Will keep an eye out for this on Prime.de

I saw this in 2019 at the London Film Festival, one of the better films in the festival. Not sure why it’s taken so long to come out

Last edited:
I saw this in 2019 at the London Film Festival, one of the better films in the festival. Not sure why it’s taken so long to come out
I think it's been out for a while. I was told about it a few weeks ago and that person knew about it before that. Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I've seen a conversation about it with Anthony Mackie a while back now, I just didn't know what film he was talking about.

I think I have had to switch off about 5 movies ever because they were so poor ... unfortunately this was one of them. More like a 3/10 for me unfortunately.

I think I have had to switch off about 5 movies ever because they were so poor ... unfortunately this was one of them. More like a 3/10 for me unfortunately.
yea IMDB reviews aren't fulfilling, shame as i thought the trailer looked good...

Great film but not for those that want simplicity.
Quite clever too if somewhat unrated..

8/10

Great film but not for those that want simplicity.
Quite clever too if somewhat unrated..

8/10
This sounds like their M.O. Their last film was Tenet light and one of my favourite films I saw last year.

This was a massive let down, for me. I'd struggle to give it a 6/10.
There's just so much that fails with it. Awful acting at times and a piss poor time travel tale with dire, and I mean dire, effects. The story is so meh, too and all over the shop.

This was a massive let down, for me. I'd struggle to give it a 6/10.
There's just so much that fails with it. Awful acting at times and a piss poor time travel tale with dire, and I mean dire, effects. The story is so meh, too and all over the shop.

Yeah it probably helped my reading your review before watching it. Or maybe it didn't and I'd have rated it higher if I wasn't at the ready to pick holes in it lol. Agree that the directors do better with unknown actors - I don't really rate either and wouldn't cast Dorman as a tree. Mackie had a little fun in that Black Mirror episode but hasn't ever really shown range. Effects were kinda what I expected from them, as it was all on a budget which undoubtedly the two leads took the largest chunk of, Seagal style, for just turning up.

This sounds like their M.O. Their last film was Tenet light and one of my favourite films I saw last year.
Definitely not for the average Joe who puts on a movie then goes and boils the kettle for a cuppa 😆

Definitely not for the average Joe who puts on a movie then goes and boils the kettle for a cuppa 😆
Well...
Designer drug created: causes horrible deaths in adults with a time travel element but younger adults, children and those with an un- or malformed section of the brain who've taken the drug, may get stuck in another time. Man with cancer in brain affecting relevant area, finds out about drug and its possible effect and his mate's missing daughter has taken it and realises she may be trapped. Thus forth turns into a time travel rescue film. Man experiments with drug, camcorder (1980's effects) and, oh, what could the ensuing tale and result. Yup. The Sun crossword level of difficulty...Is that the kettle boiling?!

I too saw it at the LFF 2019, but thought it was a bit mediocre.
However, the Directors recut the film shortly afterwards and premiered it at Glasgow Frightfest in 2020. I believe it is this new version which is streaming now in the UK and also out on Blu-ray in the US.

Well...
Designer drug created: causes horrible deaths in adults with a time travel element but younger adults, children and those with an un- or malformed section of the brain who've taken the drug, may get stuck in another time. Man with cancer in brain affecting relevant area, finds out about drug and its possible effect and his mate's missing daughter has taken it and realises she may be trapped. Thus forth turns into a time travel rescue film. Man experiments with drug, camcorder (1980's effects) and, oh, what could the ensuing tale and result. Yup. The Sun crossword level of difficulty...Is that the kettle boiling?!
Well, put like that....
Do you prefer Ceylon/Assam or Earl Grey, hot? ;)

Wikipedia gives Synchronic box office takings of $1 million USD, I suppose that has increased since then. Netflix could do better than that.
It was released in the USA in October 2020.
This movie should go straight to SVOD, I would think, though Rotten Tomatoes gives it 81%.

Well...
Very impressive, Bravo 🤣

Anthony Mackie has little charisma and limited acting ability. Yet he seems to be everywhere at the moment.

Watched this a few nights ago, being a time travel sci fi devotee it was right up my street. Decent drama with a couple of engaging leads wrapped up in an interesting story. I’d go along with Cas views on it, not top drawer but compelling enough.

Apple TV saying 29th March 2021 preorder £13.99

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom