Sync problem - Pinnacle Studio Plus

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Making Forum' started by scragend, Mar 19, 2006.

1. scragend

scragend
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm having a bit of a strange problem.

I have some video on VHS which I have transferred to DVD using a Panasonic DMR ES10 connected by SCART to my VCR.

I copied the contents of the DVD to my PC and used the "Import DVD titles" option in Pinnacle's menu to create a .mpg file.

When I try to use the file in Pinnacle it goes through the usual "detecting scenes by video content" then puts all the scenes up as normal. The trouble is that the audio and video are out of sync by quite a way.

If I play the .mpg file in Windows Media Player it's fine - perfectly in sync - but the same file in Pinnacle is all to cock.

It's Studio Plus 9.4 if that matters.

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I believe this is a common problem when importing mpeg video into Studio.

Although not much help for you as you are using the latest and last patch for version 9, there have been a number of patches to fix out of synch sound in version 10 when importing mpeg's or VOBs.

I found the only solution to the problem in version 9 was to capture footage as AVI from VHS using a beakout box and then convert it to DVD using Pinnacle.

3. scragend

scragend
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks laser.

I've found a solution in the short term - I am using AVS Video Converter (I think that's what it's called) to convert the DVD video files into AVI. I can then use these files in Pinnacle no problem.

I'm gearing myself up towards getting version 10, once I can get over all the bad press it gets from some quarters!

To be honest I've always preferred Studio over other editing packages, despite the frequent hang ups. The thing I like most is how it splits the video by scene in the first place, then you can drop individual scenes onto the timeline. Makes things much easier for me. I like the interface as well.

4. laser

laser

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +54
    I've been using S10 with the latest patch, taking it to v10.5 for a couple of weeks and contrary to what many people have stated on this forum, I've had very few problems. The software seems stable, if perhaps a little sluggish now and again but overall good.

I like yourself find it very easy to use and tend to use S10 for quickly editing short clips although I do use Avid Liquid 7 for more complex projects.

5. melliott1963

melliott1963

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I think you'll find that a lot, if not most home editing packages will do this for you, so don't tie yourself to Pinnacle just because of this one feature.